Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDF Minimum Contract

• 28-08-2007 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going into 6th year of school, but due to my exams (A levels as opposed to the Leaving Cert) I have quite a lot of free time on my hands. So, i thought I would look at the RDF. I have a quick question though, can any one tell me what is the minimum lenght contract that you sign? I would be interested in joining, but I don't want to tie myself down for 5 or more years!

Cheers,

Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

You initially sign up for 3 years. But you can sign out earlier if you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i left before the end of the contract no problem.....im sure i could of gotten called up if needed but i never got any phone calls or anything saying i msut show up every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭alan_simon

cheers guys, that clears the matter up nicely.

On another note, I'm a bit curious about the pay. It states that recruits get something like 150€ a week, but weekend arent paid. Does this mean that for every 7 nights of training you do, you get paid, or do you get paid 150 euro per week.

It's a bit of a silly question, I know. But its just that coming from working in my local spar, working 20 hours a week and making 130 quid, the RDF's rate of pay seems a bit exorbitant!

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Nuttzz wrote:

Is that per annum pay, or per week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

please note you only get gratuity pay once per annum and you only get paid full weeks wages if you on training camps or in case of naval reserve if you out on a patrol aboard a naval vessel plus sea going allowance

cheers guys, I've had the matter fully explained to me by the 62nd regiment's website.

I must say, the way it's presented is a little confusing, but I get it now :D
    It's a bit dissapointing, as for a Recruit the pay is quite low, meaning if i join im going to have to balance study, work and this. Hopefully it'll all be worth it! I'm to hear from a recruitment officer over the next few days, so I could soon enough be RDF and Proud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's supposed to be voluntary mate! :D ie. it's not for the cash that you're doing it!

But I know you'd have to take time off work for some things, so you'd expect to be paid a reasonable amount for that

i know its voluntary, but I was just hoping I mite get away wid the RDF and study, and avoid work completely!:P So im either going to have to figure out a way to live on <500 quid a year, or get a proper job too!

anyways, its more the experiance and training that would entice me to the RDF. The money was just a happy coincidence:D

Yeah me too, thinking of joining up in September... Don't know if I'd be able to give enough attention to college if I do though :( We shall see

• Advertisement

im hoping to do the same thing, cept im in 6th year. the way im looking at it is, you'd probably be screwing around wid ur mates for the same amount of time as your going to give the RDF, and ur obviously going to make new mates in the RDF...... so it balances out! besides, its only one nite a week, and one weekend a month (plus a few extra weeks during the hols). but imagine the experiance!!! and it looks really good on a CV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Dave, The Reserves doesn't eat into your time to much. I was in it while doing my Leaving Cert and it was grand...... Although College could be different I suppose?

Basically lads, you'll get out of the Reserves what you put into it. If you go down and decided to be a Bag of Ham and act like an eejit etc. then you'll get feck all out of it. If you go down and you're switched on, dedicated etc. then you'll have a much better chance of getting Courses, Exercises etc.

I'm in it just about 2 years now and I can honestly say I've loved every minute of it.

Thanks for that :)

I struggled with college in first year, and found it hard to keep up academically. I also didn't make enough of it socially! So my primary concern is to make the most of college by studying a decent amount, and joining at least 1 club and attending regularly.

If I have time after those things, then I'll defo be joining up :)

Just gotta see how the old timetable goes......... :(

Advertisement