Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercurio Bikes?

Options
  • 28-08-2007 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey,

Has anyone bought one of these cheap racers? I'm looking for a cheap racer/hybrid that I won't be afraid to leave around town, as my 'good' bike is too good to leave locked around the place. I would go for the Giant FCR 3 but am afraid it would be stolen quickly as well.
    Anyway back to Mercurios, I've seen a couple of couriers riding them so they shouldn't be too bad (as much as you can expect from a bike under €500) plus there's a guy on ebay selling them for around €200. Any feedback welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I looked at these before as a cheap roadie and decided against it. It's quite a heavy bike overall and being mass produced I'm guessing it may not be comfortable for long cycles but I could be wrong. I do see alot of them around due to their price (I've seen them for about €299-€325 at the cheapest new). The gear shifters are mounted on the downtube also which I am not big fan of. It's older and less expensive technology. A firend of mine used one for bike messenger work and I remember seeing it running with 1 gear (deraileur removed and chain shortened) and a front brake only. This could have been for low maintenance purposes or the components just wore out quickly.

If your just using it for spinning in and out of town without too much worry of it being stolen I'd say it would be fine although they do look very flashy (they always catch my eye when I see one zipping past me) and still might be appealing.

Best advice is probably the most obvious. Try one out from a shop and see how comfortable it feels.

Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Personally for a "leave around town" bike I have a hybrid with rack and mudguards. Useful for the shopping etc. and you really need the mudguards. You should be able to pick up a decent one second hand for €200. I would be concerned that just about any drop-handlebar bike would stand out more to thieves.

Advertisement