Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcohol and Diabetes

• 29-08-2007 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all. Have not posted since diagnosed a few months ago. I went through the denial and depression stages and am kinda coming out of it now. I have a question that is not really answered in any of the literature I have read. Doc says don’t drink and all the web sites say don’t drink, (I have to state that I am diet controled for the moment) and I stayed off drink for 5 months before I began going out for a few on a sat nights with the results that my sugars were better than normal. I then tried a few normal weekends, which would mean about 5 or 6 drinks (2 pints + 4 shorts) and again with no negative impact on sugar levels? Any thoughts or information on this would be very welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They are unlikely to give you any information about alcohol, other than don't, in the vain hope that we all give it up. I just took it easy until I had learnt how alcohol reacted with me again, I found there were some drinks that I just couldn't stomach anymore due to the sugar content as well. I found it also helped me if my friends had an idea of the difference between me just being drunk and having a hypo as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I drink without any problems. My doctor told me there is no problem with alcohol as long as i'm careful. However, your doc may have specific reasons for telling you not to drink so maybe you should ask him/her about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Freudian

Thanks guys. I guess its like everything else connected with DM2: Dont over do anything and you will probably be ok.

Advertisement