Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Helmet anyone?

• 29-08-2007 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

I recently listened to Helmet's album "Betty". Quite liked it, kinda heavy and kinda mellow at the same time.

Anyone want to recommend where to go from here?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Monochrome is a decent album IIRC. You can't go wrong with any Helmet in my experience. Great band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Just discovering them here, this is seriously Hard Rocking.:cool:
    There's a lot of Helmet available on u-tube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

yeah they're class alright try out Aftertaste next not as good as Betty but still good, saw them in Dalymount in 94 with Therapy? Chili Peppers , Ice Cube and Frank Black . The guitarist plays on Troublegum ,Unbeliever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Does anybody wanto to save me a bit of time and post the obligatory "If you only buy one Helmet album buy _______"?!!

Would be much appreciated!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Betty ..definitely their best and most groundbreaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Paligulus wrote:
    Does anybody wanto to save me a bit of time and post the obligatory "If you only buy one Helmet album buy _______"?!!

Would be much appreciated!!!

they have a singles/hits collection out called 'Unsung' - pick up that.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

After them check out their drummers new band Battles, very cool!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

I Love Unsung and Milktoast. :rolleyes: Play.com have good deals on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

feylya wrote:
    Monochrome is a decent album IIRC. You can't go wrong with any Helmet in my experience. Great band
    Yeah you can't go wrong with any album, Aftertaste is a cracker! Wasn't to pushed about Monochrome straight away. and thought the last 2 albums got unfair reviews.
    Go get Meantime and Aftertaste, and if you can Strap It On and Born Annoying (B-sides and demo versions) for earlier stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

John Stanier is the greatest drummer currently touring and recording. Just unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Id really recommend MEANTIME above all the other albums, simply put its got the most raw aggresive guitars sounds the band recorded in my opinion and has four of their strongest tracks in my opinion including the aforementioned "unsung" the title tracks is great too.

Page Hamilton has geusted on a phenominal amount of stuff , he's an accomplished jazzed guitarist too apparently as well as grinding out the lethal chops:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Helmet rock so much! IIRC they dont even consider themselves metal! <3 Betty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Met John Stanier after the Battles gig in TBMC - asked him to recommend a Helmet album for me as I'd never listened before - he said "don't bother!"

That said, I'll be Youtube-ing a bit now..

Advertisement