Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wireing a portable GPS permanently

Options
  • 29-08-2007 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭

I guess this suits this forum best.

I bought one of these:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055081991

Came with these bits & pieces:

3de9_1.JPG

I want to wire it to something behind the dash instead of having it plugged into the cig lighter all the time.....like most taxi drivers have done.
    What's the best way to do this?

It's a 01 Astra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

One thing to note, if you are installing the unit permanently, you better put it somewhere discreet, or where it can be easily hidden (including the holding bracket) or you are asking for a thieving chancer to break into your car.

Also, most units have a fixed antenna which must have a clear line of sight to the sky. If you build the unit into your dash, it will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hi prospect,

Yeah, I aggree. I wanted just to have the retractable power lead wired to free up the cig lighter. The wire hanging down from then winscreen is unsightly.

I'd normally remove the actual GPS device when the car is parked.

So, what do youi guys think I could wire the cable too??
    This would obviously involve cutting it.

Cheers

Advertisement