Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High Horses Anybody?

Options
  • 29-08-2007 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Seems like this board is getting some criticism:

http://www.driver.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=50974

Any justification in these comments? 18 votes

Are you crazy? At least we know the rules of the road!
    0% 0 votes
    No! The lads over there are right, everybody down off their high horse now!
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Certain posters here do seem to love jumping on the ol' high horse whenever anyone admits any wrongdoing whatsoever on the road :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Stephen wrote:
    Certain posters here do seem to love jumping on the ol' high horse whenever anyone admits any wrongdoing whatsoever on the road :/

what i love is the tailgating lane hogging un observing idiots worrying about me making progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*shruggs* a ticked off board member posts to suggest driver.ie is a cool kinda hang-out where automotive outlaws ride the range.

Yeah right.

Mike.

I agree 100% with drivers.ie on this one. A certain (large) section of this board make no effort to be helpful but use every opportunity to score points on how technically correct they are.
    I know there are these sort of people on every motoring board but here, if anything they seem louder and more innane.
    It’s mostly the reason I don't read this board anymore. I end up pulling my hair out over some of the stupidity around here.

Yes you idiots know who you are, I will call it a fast lane if I want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

I also agree. A few years ago the motor section on boards was fun to be in but nowadays it has turned into the worst forum. Everyone loves sticking to boot in and thinking they are 100% perfect drivers and berate anyone who admits to a mistake (even if its only a spelling mistake) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well if you don't like it leave - yesterday over 100 peeps were on this forum at its busiest. Those who find it too "exacting" should head over to the other site.

And its the overtaking lane btw! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ronoc wrote:
    I agree 100% with drivers.ie on this one. A certain (large) section of this board make no effort to be helpful but use every opportunity to score points on how technically correct they are.
    I'll have to correct you on that one, I'm afraid...... :D:D:D
    It’s mostly the reason I don't read this board anymore. I end up pulling my hair out over some of the stupidity around here.
    so, is there an echo on here, or is this a post from the Other Side...........?:rolleyes:

And finally
    I will call it a fast lane if I want!
    I'm sure you will, and once again, I'll have to correct you on that one :D:D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

http://www.driver.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=50833

More boy-racers than us though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭AlanAhern

maoleary wrote:
    http://www.driver.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=50833

More boy-racers than us though..

no, just people who know about cars. this place is run by high horses imo, i am here for about 4 weeks and i am scared to post here, weird i know but thats how i feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yea i do agree with Driver.ie, but there is good and bad in all fourms, but there is alot of PC police here, but i like this place in spite of all the high horses.

Hello i'm Volvoboy and i speed when i feel is safe to do so, and i dont care what ya have to say!!!!!!!

*cowers from the PC Brigade:o *

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

In fairness there's legend's and gimp's on both forums... It's the internet, like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

AlanAhern wrote:
    no, just people who know about cars. this place is run by high horses imo, i am here for about 4 weeks and i am scared to post here, weird i know but thats how i feel.
    The way I see it, its all about maturity. You will not find a 40 year old here posting the same cráp as a 18 year on his first provisional. The amount of teenagers spouting shíte here is unbelievable. In most cases the "high horses" are older posters telling the younger posters to cop on.

JohnCleary wrote:
    In fairness there's legend's and gimp's on both forums... It's the internet, like :D

The apostrophe comes after the s when describing multiples. :)

The age profile of this forum has risen by quite a few years in my time here.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

mike65 wrote:
    The apostrophe comes after the s when describing multiples. :)

The age profile of this forum has risen by quite a few years in my time here.

Mike.

Ah, you see, a perfect example.

JohnCleary => Perfect example of legend
    mike65 => Perfect example of gimp :p

Joke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mike65 wrote:
    The apostrophe comes after the s when describing multiples.
    Harrumph! Tut tut etc.

No apostrophe anywhere unless possessive. Also JC should have said "there are" instead of "there's". A good grounding in grammar and punctuation are presequites for being a good driver. Ergo, both of you are arse-talking when it comes to motor's (sic). Harrumph again. No-one double de-clutches these days. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

esel wrote:
    A good grounding in grammar and punctuation are presequites for being a good driver.

Prerequisites, perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Stephen wrote:
    ^^
    what he said.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

esel wrote:
    Harrumph again. No-one double de-clutches these days. :eek:
    Speak for yourself young man. To my mind synchromesh is the work of Beelzebub. I regularly grease my balljoints and nipples too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I find it's not so much the fact that people are corrected on this forum. That's a good thing and it's how people learn. For me, it's more the condescending manner in which some posters apply the correction. There's sometimes also a distinct tone of "ugggh, do you not KNOW this already? Must you ask such silly questions? This has been answered/addressed SO MANY times before". Posters don't always bother or know how to search the forums effectively. For some people, it might be as quick to post a quick question and get an answer.

Of course, this does not apply to all posters, but there's a nice way, and a not-so-nice way of answering questions and helping people out.

I enjoy reading through the Motors forum, it's informative, sometimes entertaining and it's great to see other people's points of view. However I sometimes find myself having to wade though some irrelevant, unhelpful or rude posts to get back to the topic in question.

*Runs for cover*

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Volvoboy wrote:
    Yea i do agree with Driver.ie, but there is good and bad in all fourms, but there is alot of PC police here, but i like this place in spite of all the high horses.

Hello i'm Volvoboy and i speed when i feel is safe to do so, and i dont care what ya have to say!!!!!!!

*cowers from the PC Brigade:o *

-VB-

seconded!!!!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I personally think this forum is good for detailed discussions on rules of the road, safe driving, the law etc. if someone posts something incorrect it won't be long before another poster puts them right. If this constititues "high horsery" then so be it.

Advertisement