Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PV70 and Sport

• 29-08-2007 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello,
    I have just purchased a panasonic PV70.

The pcture is great for all things except sport.
    The close ups are good but as soon as the camera pans out, the picture becomes fuzzy.

I am watching via Chorus Digital(cable) service in Ireland.

Would SKY be better?

Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Good Work reading your original thread:
    Well the source won't be HD, the picture will be really compressed so it can be sent via Satellite, as football has lots of detail, the compression will suffer, and when panning the interlaced picture will need to be up converted to Progressive scanning, also not helping with picture quality.

Unless you are feeding the TV with HD, there's little/no point in having one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

don99 wrote:
    Hello,
    I have just purchased a panasonic PV70.

The pcture is great for all things except sport.
    The close ups are good but as soon as the camera pans out, the picture becomes fuzzy.

I am watching via Chorus Digital(cable) service in Ireland.

Would SKY be better?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sky would be better, but in the intrim try adqusting the settings of your TV, and turn the "sharpness off" you can play with the "Noise reduction" and " Mpeg artifact reduction" setings but normally when setting a TV these should be all turned off, however with chorus there is an improvement if the NR is turned up. this will marginally improve the picture and is not a fix.
    Lump wrote:
    Well the source won't be HD, the picture will be really compressed so it can be sent via Satellite, as football has lots of detail, the compression will suffer, and when panning the interlaced picture will need to be up converted to Progressive scanning, also not helping with picture quality.

Wha?

? Can you not understand what I said?

Lots of compression is used, as a result, standard defination that is up converted to deisplay on a HD tv will look rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

Lump wrote:
    ? Can you not understand what I said?

the picture will be really compressed so it can be sent via Satellite.

the compression will suffer,

and when panning the interlaced picture will need to be up converted to Progressive scanning,

Yeah I understood that alright.

Yes, it will be really compressed, generally about 200:1

I was supposed to say to the compression quality with suffer with high detail, IE there will be compression artifacts introduced to the picture.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sky will look better for sport then Chorus Digital as Chorus/NTL compress the hell out of the channels. I've the same set then yours OP and on Satellite Sky Sports look grand for Football Golf etc. On the ITV/BBC channels there is kind of what I would call a frizzy effect around the players from distance from distance. But to get the real benifits from your TV you probably need to go full out Sky HD.

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I have a Panasonic PV71 since May and a lot of the fuzziness has gone away over time, picture has definitely improved so be patient. Football is fine from 10' away.

Advertisement