Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] US Schools struggle to keep teachers

Options
  • 29-08-2007 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I read this on the train on the way home yesterday and thought there might be some interest here.

It's an article in the New York Times about inner-city schools having a high turnover of staff, for what I assume are obvious reasons.

Linky.

While the term inner-city school is not use, it is substituted with low-performing and high-poverty.

So could the same be said about inner-city schools here? Is there a high-turnover of staff or is it a case of grin and bare it? Would I be correct in saying things might not be as bad here? Or are they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There's a problem with recruitment in disadvantaged schools here but the real problem is retention. Teachers just out of college are prepared to work anywhere to get started but can get fed up with the problems associated with working in disadvantaged schools and tend to move on after a few years. The price of property in Dublin is another issue.

The government has consistently failed to address the issue with the current minister being one of the most annoying in that she has proposed a few token gestures and claimed credit. The idea of offering financial incentives (as in the article) was used successfully in London in the 80s and 90s to recruit and retain teachers in the more "challenging" areas but hasn't been tried here.

Advertisement