Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else notice the spate of Cardiac problems?

• 29-08-2007 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the spate of cardiac problems thats going around, not only in football but in rugby as well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I posted this in another thread, but it's relevant here too.

With the ever increasing financial pressure on clubs and managers, maybe certain players are feeling it aswell, and pushing their bodies to places they shouldn't be going. To get the edge on the guy who might take his place, to stay at the higher paying club, to get a move to a higher paying club.

You also have to look at performance enhancing drugs that are not yet on the banned list as a possibility.

I'm not saying this particular player, or any particular player, was using these drugs, but still, it's a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Yeah, it's possible, or maybe it's a contaminated drug? - or is that too much of a conspiracy?

• Amir Angwe, 29, a striker for the Julius Berger Club of Nigeria -
    • Antonio Puerta died today after suffering a heart attack
    • Clive Clarke, who collapsed on Tuesday
    • Martín Gaitán is recovering in a Cardiff hospital after suffering a "cardiac event"
    • Keeley Dorsey's fatal collapse while lifting weights at the school's athletic facility in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

must be sumtin in the lucozade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it's currently due to players coming back from pre-season pushing themselves to hard.

PHB wrote:
    I think it's currently due to players coming back from pre-season pushing themselves to hard.
    There might be an element of truth in that.....Foe was in the summer wasnt it?

Also there was that Eastern European fella who was playin for Benfica (name is just gone!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Miklos Feher i think, not sure if that's how you spell it, he was Hungarian i think?

Miklós Fehér, that was a while back tho wasn't it?

"A 16-year-old football player died early Friday after collapsing during practice at Arnold O. Beckman High School in Irvine, police said.

Kenny Wilson, a junior lineman, fell ill at practice and lost consciousness during a team workout shortly before 11 a.m., Irvine Lt. Henry Boggs said.

Coaches and the team's trainer gave first aid before paramedics arrived, but as Wilson was being rushed to Western Medical Center, Santa Ana, he suffered cardiac arrest and was declared dead at the hospital, Boggs said."

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-player18aug18,1,3773854.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

"Jeffrey R. Bowman, 17, died at 11 a.m., according to officials at the Kalispell Regional Medical Center, where Bowman had been since collapsing last Monday.

Bowman fell while running laps with the team, said Bigfork Superintendent Russ Kinzer, adding there was smoke in the air from area wildfires at the time. Kinzer said it was his understanding that a "heart situation" contributed to the boy's collapse."
    http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/08/21/sports/local/25-bigfork.txt

griffdaddy wrote:
    Miklos Feher i think, not sure if that's how you spell it, he was Hungarian i think?
    Yea I didnt wanna commit to that in case I was wrong, defo Hungarian and pretty sure u got the name. But he was early in the season too wasnt he? And Gaiton the Argentinine, that squad only recently got together for their WC preparations and he's competing with Contepomi for a place...... could be a pattern there.

Yea I didnt wanna commit to that in case I was wrong, defo Hungarian and pretty sure u got the name. But he was early in the season too wasnt he? And Gaiton the Argentinine, that squad only recently got together for their WC preparations and he's competing with Contepomi for a place...... could be a pattern there.

got that one up the top ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was chatting to the girlfriend about this last night, she was saying it is probably an ilness I can not spell, sounds like Midacondreal (definately not how it is spelt) but its something that can not be easily diagnosed after the event - a lever and skill sample biopsy has to be done within an hour of it happening to actually see that it did happen (the heart swells up, you have a cardiac arrest, and then the heart returns to normal)

There is a doctor in the Mater Private that is leading research into the illness.

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote:
    got that one up the top ^^
    Yeah I know, was just adding about the competition with a player like Felipe adding extra pressure to train hard.

was it Mitochondrial Disease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I think it's a matter of perception rather than a 'spate'. Cases where someone dies during sporting activity receive lots of attention, so we notice them more than the more common locations for heart attacks (I understand sitting on the toilet is the most common place for your ticker to stop - something to do with the effort of forcing it out).

A US study among student athletes reveals that there is a 1 in 200,000 chance of a student dying of a sudden cradiac arrest while engages in athletic activity. There are over 2500 professional players in England alone, while FIFA estimates that 2.5 million play football on a competitive basis worldwide.

Therefore, statistically, it would be reasonable (all things being equal) for at least 1000 footballers to die each year of cardiac arrest. Of course professional footballers should be in better condition than the average US college athlete, so that should reduce the odds somewhat, but the current situation is probably in line with statistical probabilities.

Yeah I know, was just adding about the competition with a player like Felipe adding extra pressure to train hard.

ah, i see... good point! maybe humpty dumpty didn't fall?

jameshayes wrote:
    yep - that would probably be it - and i was well off!

jameshayes wrote:
    Midichlorian Disease.

I sense the force is strong in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Is anyone here playing in the tournament at UCD on the 22nd September? Just out of interest, as I'll look out for ya and say hello. Its a charity event organised by a group of us in honour of my mate who died 5 weeks back of SADS .... it seems theres been a death every week in the news since...

very poignant stuff.

jameshayes wrote:

my sister had that when she was younger, she's ok now tho, something only young ppl get or something?

jameshayes wrote:
    my sister had that when she was younger, she's ok now tho, something only young ppl get or something?
    nah - was told a fella went into a hpspital after a cardiac arrest, and was diagnosed with it (he was in his 20's), his family were tested for it and his dad had it too.

thinking of getting tested myself, few months back my cousin was fitted with a fecking pacemaker! Hes only 18.....

scary stuff lads - go get checked.

• Advertisement

Clive Clarke, who collapsed on Tuesday

Just on the BBC Radio1 News that he suffered 2 heart attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

:eek:

DesF wrote:
    Clive Clarke, who collapsed on Tuesday

Just on the BBC Radio1 News that he suffered 2 heart attacks.

poor bloke

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This isn't purely a sporting phenomenon lads, thousands of people, of all ages, die in this way every year. It isn't new either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

griffdaddy wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQiowMFIw14

eirebhoy wrote:

That is such a sad video, I can hardly watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Tauren wrote:
    nah - was told a fella went into a hpspital after a cardiac arrest, and was diagnosed with it (he was in his 20's), his family were tested for it and his dad had it too.
    Antonio Puerta suffered from a hereditary heart disease called "arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy", according to wikipedia. Maybe its the same thing.

eirebhoy wrote:

holy crap, he's smiling after a yellow card and then just goes down. Poor bloke. At least it was painless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

To be fair it's not only being noticed now as back in 2003/04 Miklos Feher, Marc Vivien Foe and Cormac McAnallen all died within a short space of time from cardiac problems. I did a lot of research on it then for a college assignment and a simple check can determine if a problem is there or not. It should have been made mandatory back then for all high level athletes to undergo a test but it wasn't and now it's back in the public eye again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Xavi6 wrote:
    It should have been made mandatory back then for all high level athletes to undergo a test but it wasn't and now it's back in the public eye again.
    absolutely 100% agreed, the technology and medical knowledge is there ready to be used to prevent unnecessary deaths but yet pathetic bureaucracy and laziness gets in the way. I hate this ''let them drop dead and then do something about it attitude'', especially in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

DesF wrote:
    That is such a sad video, I can hardly watch it.
    Isnt it just.

Watching Tiago and Simao and the other plays crying almost made me cry aswell, so, so sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4632546396732254867
    That's the one i originally saw, shows clips from the funeral as well, very sad indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

JERUSALEM (AP) -- Chaswe Nsofwa, a forward who played for Zambia at the 2002 African Cup of Nations, collapsed during a practice session Wednesday in the Israeli city of Beersheva and died minutes later in a hospital, the Israeli rescue service said.

Nsofwa was with Hapoel Beersheva, which plays in Israel's second division. Israel TV reported he collapsed during a practice game in the desert city. Rescue workers tried to restart his heart for several minutes on the field before taking him to Soroka Hospital in Beersheba.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AnE7MxNvEpRbYARzvyTdf1Q5nYcB?slug=ap-israel-playerdies&prov=ap&type=lgns

www.mcquillancup.com

its only just gone live, in tribute to my mate and all about the UCD football tourney we are throwing in his name. Theres links to C.R.Y (Cardiac Risk in the Young) there if anyone is interested in learning more about the condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

To me its just unbelievable how quick governing bodies are to get players to piss in a cup after games but yet have done absolutely nothing about this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

I find it weird that this is alot more common now than say 30-40 years agao and it seems to only affect young men into sport, I never hear girls dropping dead.Does anyone think that sports supplementation could be factor, im not saying it is but sads is a relatively new phenominon and so is sports supplementation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well, I dunno if its more common - I think perhaps we're just more aware of it happening now.

Perhaps now in the age of the internet, satillite comms, digital tv, etc.. it's easier for us to come across these incidents in reports we would have never otherwise have read. As an example see eirebhoy posted that Yahoo! report from Israel but it appears to yet to be reported on a traditional news source such as the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

A tunisian player died this time last year as well, he was only 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2158583,00.html

they are saying that youngster Reid who died had recently passed a cardiac scan, and they aren't sure on Clarke specifically but apparently Sunderland players routinely undergo a cardiac examination of sorts so there is a good chance he had one recently enough. it's odd, maybe the tests aren't complete enough...

There was a piece on Newstalk this morning about this. A doctor said that sometimes tests can't detect the arhythmia thing, and even in some cases a post mortem shows nothing. However, there is a very specific test that can be caried out, different to the ECG, that has a better chance of catching it. But even still, because it's a 'fault' with the electrical impulses in the heart muscle, it isn't always picked up.

Cormac McAnallen's mother was on too, calling for some standard tests to be introduced accross the board for professional sportspeople (including GAA, who are professionals in every sense of the word, apart from admitting to getting paid).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Another player has died...

Zambian player Nsofwa dies in training
    JERUSALEM, Aug 29 (Reuters) - Zambian striker Chaswe Nsofwa of Israeli second division side Hapoel Beer Sheva collapsed and died during a practice match in the southern desert city on Wednesday, ambulance staff said.
    Nsofwa, 27, was pronounced dead at Beer Sheva's Soroka Hospital after resuscitation efforts on the pitch failed to revive him, the Magen David Adom ambulance service said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Archimedes wrote:
    Another player has died...

Zambian player Nsofwa dies in training
    JERUSALEM, Aug 29 (Reuters) - Zambian striker Chaswe Nsofwa of Israeli second division side Hapoel Beer Sheva collapsed and died during a practice match in the southern desert city on Wednesday, ambulance staff said.
    Nsofwa, 27, was pronounced dead at Beer Sheva's Soroka Hospital after resuscitation efforts on the pitch failed to revive him, the Magen David Adom ambulance service said.

aye it's mentioned on the previous page. that's 3 in 10 days and a fourth in hospital. has there ever been that amount in such quick sucession? or is it a case of just more media coverage these days meaning we're hearing more about this than we would have previously?

Well lads, this really hits home when someone you know is affected.

I found out last night that my flatemate's cousin collapsed on the football field last saturday, and is now sitting in Beaumont hospital with a heart complaint.

DesF wrote:
    Well lads, this really hits home when someone you know is affected.

I found out last night that my flatemate's cousin collapsed on the football field last saturday, and is now sitting in Beaumont hospital with a heart complaint.

Bummer, I hope he's ok

it puts the frighteners up you when it happens. Everytime i feel dizzy on the pitch now i stop and take a moment to make sure its ok.... i know a lot of the lads are the same.

its a kick up the arse like...

I was not able to listen to the news yesterday... did they find out why those 2 boys died?

one was in P.E and the other was in GAA training right?

Astonishing that it could happen to a 10 year old. Scares the sh*t outta me to be honest. The whole thing is so surreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Similar story. Last week I was playing ball and felt dissy so like some of you I just walked off the pitch. Not willing to take a chance any more and play on.

My gf works in a hospital and from talking to some of her friends (surgeons etc..) one was telling me exactly what the suden adult death syndrome is. Apparently and forgive me for not having the technical info/terms here, there is an electrical pulse either going to or eminating from your heart. Can't quite remember which. Essentially it tells your heart to beat. Hence why they shock you if your heart stops in hospital. Well for reasons they have not been able to figure out yet this pulse simply stops.The result being that the heart just stops. Very scary stuff and according to one of them it seems to be the more active fitter people that suffer from it.

iregk wrote:
    Similar story. Last week I was playing ball and felt dissy so like some of you I just walked off the pitch. Not willing to take a chance any more and play on.

I'd like to know what the manager had to say about this?

Was he understanding, or did he have a go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

DesF wrote:
    I'd like to know what the manager had to say about this?

Was he understanding, or did he have a go?

Well it wasn't a proper club match. Probably should have said kickabout match with lads. was 11 a side all right but no management/ref/anything of the sort.

• Advertisement
Advertisement