Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else notice the spate of Cardiac problems?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

iregk wrote:
    Well it wasn't a proper club match. Probably should have said kickabout match with lads. was 11 a side all right but no management/ref/anything of the sort.
    Ah cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

16 year old died in the Gym this week in Moate, another in Tyrone, and I have just heard another 16 year colllapsed playing soccer in Marist College Athlone this afternoon, condition unknown, school has been closed, everyone in the Midlands is trying to figure out what is going on, I'm 46 and nothing like this ever happened when I was younger, I played rugby at a high level and did a lot of cross-country running, maybe the more 'scientific' training nowadays is contributing to this or could it be mobile phones, electrical impulses and all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

patmac wrote:
    16 year old died in the Gym this week in Moate, another in Tyrone, and I have just heard another 16 year colllapsed playing soccer in Marist College Athlone this afternoon, condition unknown, school has been closed, everyone in the Midlands is trying to figure out what is going on, I'm 46 and nothing like this ever happened when I was younger, I played rugby at a high level and did a lot of cross-country running, maybe the more 'scientific' training nowadays is contributing to this or could it be mobile phones, electrical impulses and all that?

That boy was pronounced dead in hospital today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Another one in Tyrone today, what is going on?? RIP all four.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0908/tyrone.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Scary stuff, could it be something that people are eating or drinking that raises the chance of this happening, because 4 deathes in one week in almost the exact same circumstances is really eery.

RIP and my heart goes out to their families:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Scary stuff, could it be something that people are eating or drinking that raises the chance of this happening, because 4 deathes in one week in almost the exact same circumstances is really eery.

RIP and my heart goes out to their families:(
    I was just thinking this, a sports drink or something similar. Definitely warrants massive research and compulsary tests for ALL children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

patmac wrote:

While its awful Id imagine that back in your day these things simply didnt make the news. For all we know sudden death syndrome happens maybe, i dunno, lets just say once every 3 weeks. It gets highlighted when McAnallen or Foe dies, but it only becomes a big worry when young people start purely coincidentally dropping off within the same 2 odd week period of each other. This type of thing probably happens every, i dunno, 20 day, its only because there has been so many since late August until now that the media report it heavily and therefore we know about it. The last 10 days had seen what, 4 young lads dead? If the same 4 had died over a 3 month period we would hear next to nothing about it. And its quite possible that between, say, now and November, we wont hear any more about it (hopefully). Its the same with, for example, drug related murders. If 4 or 5 people die in a week, as happened a few times last year or early this year, its a national emergency. I cant remember the last fatal shooting reported in Dublin, hasnt been one in months far as I know and therefore no fuss, its only when these things come in 3s or 4s that they attract attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Unbelievable really...that's the 4th I can recall this season alone:confused: - Puerta, O'Donnell, Clarke, Randriana.
    Former Birmingham City player Marco Randriana is recovering in hospital after suffering a heart attack during a Ligue 2 match with his club Niort in Sedan, a Reims hospital spokesman said on Saturday.

The 24-year-old midfielder collapsed in the 23rd minute of the game on Friday night. Medical staff rushed to his side and used a defibrillator.

'They probably saved his life. He recovered consciousness in the ambulance during his transfer to the Reims hospital.

'He is now in stable condition but will stay under observation in the emergency ward for a few days,' the spokesman said.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0119/football.html?rss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Pretty scary stuff.
    One theory doing the rounds is pretty believable also.

Doctors are less and less likely to prescribe painkillers due to addiction issues etc, and especially to athletes where many of the substances involved are banned.
    They are instead prescribing anti-inflamitarys such as Ibrufen and others whic have been linked when over used to heart conditions already, but the fact that they contain many blood thinning agents is also raising alarms in this instance.

Obviously im no medical scientist and im open to being shot down here, but im just passing on my ideas of what ive been readig etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Eirebear wrote: »
    Pretty scary stuff.
    One theory doing the rounds is pretty believable also.

Doctors are less and less likely to prescribe painkillers due to addiction issues etc, and especially to athletes where many of the substances involved are banned.
    They are instead prescribing anti-inflamitarys such as Ibrufen and others whic have been linked when over used to heart conditions already, but the fact that they contain many blood thinning agents is also raising alarms in this instance.

Obviously im no medical scientist and im open to being shot down here, but im just passing on my ideas of what ive been readig etc.

Ive heard this as well.

Players are fitter and monitored more than ever before. It must be something being introduced into their systems, painkillers, injections? isotonic drinks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ive heard this as well.

Players are fitter and monitored more than ever before. It must be something being introduced into their systems, painkillers, injections? isotonic drinks?

Whatever it is, we need to get to the bottom of it.
    Its all very well talking about screening pros etc. but this current spate doesnt seem to be only affecting the pros, every other wek were hearing about normal every day guys and even more worryingly CHILDREN dropping dead from unknown/undetected heart problems.

Advertisement