Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plumbers needed

Options
  • 29-08-2007 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

i was fitting a new immersion yesterday .from the start i had problems the immersion i was removing seemed to be stuck but eventually got it out but when fitting the new one it wouldnt go in straight it seemed to be hitting something now i know there shouldnt be anything in there but can anyone tell me what could be causing it ? or will i have to change the tank ?????? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

the hunter wrote:
    i was fitting a new immersion yesterday .from the start i had problems the immersion i was removing seemed to be stuck but eventually got it out but when fitting the new one it wouldnt go in straight it seemed to be hitting something now i know there shouldnt be anything in there but can anyone tell me what could be causing it ? or will i have to change the tank ?????? :confused:

is the element in the new one the same length as original: the thing u are hitting is prolly the heating coil from the CH system

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

the new element is a 2ft .. i think the one in it was a 3ft .. when i was taking the old one out it seemed to be caught in this ... would the ch heating coil be about 2ft down the tank ... i cant see how the old one went in and the new one wont ??? is there anyway around it ?? (how much is a tank anyway ??)

the hunter wrote:
    the new element is a 2ft .. i think the one in it was a 3ft .. when i was taking the old one out it seemed to be caught in this ... would the ch heating coil be about 2ft down the tank ... i cant see how the old one went in and the new one wont ??? is there anyway around it ?? (how much is a tank anyway ??)

anyone else out there who can help ????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

The dome on the top of a cylinder and imersion boss aren't rigid and can move if the old imersion was hard to take out. The boss could have moved slightly and you are hitting the coil as Irocha said. Be careful not to cross thread the new imersion when putting it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I assume you are putting it in vertically and not trying to get at it from an angle?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote:
    I assume you are putting it in vertically and not trying to get at it from an angle?

yeah .i dont have the space to go vertical it goes in at a slight angle then straightens .. i also noticed the tank in the attic is now overflowing slightly so i may have damaged what ever it was that was blocking the element

hi lads just been onto a plumber and he said from the sound of it ive fuc*ked the central heating coil and will need a new cylinder (anybody got a dual coil cylinder going cheap:confused:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'm a plumber ,someone is taking you for a ride.

Advertisement