Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock -56k Install?

Options
  • 29-08-2007 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to pick up Bioshock but I am a bit unsure of the situation regarding the online activation etc.

Where I am right now I have a 56k connection at best and will have to move my PC to a different room temporarily even to get that!

Can I activate this over 56k or is it a non starter due to hundred's of megs of updates a la Steam?

After instillation/activation do you have to be connected to play the thing?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It does download an update/decryption type thing to activate, not sure how big that is, it took around three minutes on a 3 meg connection so it might take a fair while on 56k.

Once you have done this and it has activated, you don't need to be connected to the internet to play after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Cheers TwoShedsJackson, Thats not as bad as I thought, an hour or so may do it:o

Gawd I need BB:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Aaron M

I installed my retail copy of BioShock using my 56k modem at home. No problems whatsoever. You probably will need to give it an hour or so to download the necessary files etc. When it patches itself and you run it, it will also need to connect to verify your activation code (though that takes only a very small amount of time) before it lets you play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i didnt know there where still 56kers out there i thought everyone would have one of the many many broadband companies in ireland , especially with the massive add campaign just before last christmass.

3 megs? thats nothing when i had a 56k i downloaded over 6 gigs (filled a 10 gb HD)

the worst download for me was defo CS beta, sigh it took so long on a 56k and eircoms lines where ****e, still are and the connection kept getting interupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

This is Ireland. If you live outside of Dublin there are plenty of places where you can't get any broadband at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

User45701 wrote:
    3 megs? thats nothing when i had a 56k i downloaded over 6 gigs (filled a 10 gb HD)

He said he has a 3 meg connection, not that the update was 3MB in size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Im in between houses at the moment so stuck with a phone line ( that I feel lucky to have access to!)

But yep, as soon as I manage to find an apartment Ill be getting something sorted, even if it is one of the 3G offerings:(

I aint played DODS for about a year so I can only imagine the download Id have to go thru, not that I could play it on 56k anyway!

Advertisement