Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dubes Poll!

• 29-08-2007 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

dubesbd5.jpg

in light of recent conversations, id like to see what people think of dubes. I myself dont like them and dont see the attraction, but yet i see them all the time.

In a previous post the arguement came up of how great verses how stupid looking dubes are, and of course how dubes obviously put you in the higher echelons of society.

What do you think?

What do you think of Dubes? 131 votes

The worst looking things ever. big mistake, Kill yourself you look silly.
    0% 0 votes
    Nah, not my thing
    43% 57 votes
    I dont mind, not fussed
    29% 38 votes
    They are alright
    8% 11 votes
    They are top notch, boosh, i have 5 pairs
    19% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I have no idea how these ugly shoes ever became popular, a huge case of 'sheep' instinct i suspect! Old man shoes. They are PANTS. End Of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Some people buy them because they genuinely like them, others buy them because they aspire to be seen as or want it to be known that they are belonging to a specific socioeconomic group. Others buy cheap knockoffs for a similar effect.

Personally, I think it's a casual shoe, nothing more. If someone wants to wear them because they like them, then that's fine with me, if they wear them as part of the 'herd' then they're blithering idiots who deserve painful deaths...well maybe not the "painful deaths" bit, that might be going a bit far I suppose. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I've nothing against them, I don't wear them though.

At the end of the day they're just shoes so hardly a legitimate target of anyone's hatred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Sean_K wrote:
    At the end of the day they're just shoes so hardly a legitimate target of anyone's hatred.

I beg to differ. 8/10 people who i have met that wear dube's are just so far up their own arse its insane! The funny thing is that they've even called some of my mates emo's for wearing converse with black jeans to my face thinking i wasnt with them.

The one thing that Dubes have going for them is when you go shopping in dundrum for example, and you see people walking around with baggy tracksuit bottoms, or jeans ripped to shreds with a pair of dubes on. Its comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think they look alright. I have a pair at home, but I never wear them because they're so damn uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

red_ice wrote:
    I beg to differ. 8/10 people who i have met that wear dube's are just so far up their own arse its insane! The funny thing is that they've even called some of my mates emo's for wearing converse with black jeans to my face thinking i wasnt with them.

The one thing that Dubes have going for them is when you go shopping in dundrum for example, and you see people walking around with baggy tracksuit bottoms, or jeans ripped to shreds with a pair of dubes on. Its comical.
    you calling them something for wearing dubes is as bad as them calling your mates emo for wearing converse.
    people are products of their enviroments and i'm sure if your family was well off and you went to a private school you'd be inclined to follow the trends their too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

artnotort wrote:
    people are products of their enviroments and i'm sure if your family was well off and you went to a private school you'd be inclined to follow the trends their too.
    Exactly, that's why so may skangers attend the same schools together and all seem to wear their schmad-out-of-it Nike Air-Max with bright white socks [irony]and burn out cars for kicks.[/irony]

It's stupid getting up in arms over shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dubes are used on sail boats for grip. Then when the ordinaries saw the sailing class use them everyone wanted a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

personally i'd rather wear plastic bags lined with ****e, but that being said i don't care if others wear them i just stay away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

AWFUL !

Ross O'Caroll Kelly's preferred choice of footwear, doesn't that tell you something :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Cremo wrote:
    personally i'd rather wear plastic bags lined with ****e,

Well, if that's the fashion in Wicklow, go ahead, given only those options, I'd go for the Dubes tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

I haven't a problem with dubes. I wore them when I went to school two years ago. Don't like Converse, that said it doesn't bother me if people wear them.

artnotort wrote:
    i'm sure if your family was well off and you went to a private school you'd be inclined to follow the trends their too.

so im poor now and i went to a public school? You dont know me. FYI, im pretty well off and i went to a private school, it just wasnt in d4. I however am not a sheep. I find that comment to be sad, getting a pair of shoes so you can fit into a group - thats a bit pathetic imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Vile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They look horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I think those Ugg-ly boots are now taking the place of Dubes with the D4's.

I personally don't like them. Doc Marten boots all the way! :D

Max_Damage wrote:
    I think those Ugg-ly boots are now taking the place of Dubes with the D4's.

in defence of the dub heads, i dont see the fellas wearing Uggs.. I see the dubes in work every day, its shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I love the way these shoes (yes they're only shoes) bring out hatred in people. It's not just little rich girls/boys or wannabe D4s that wear them. I've seen a lot of older people in them too. Dubarry make very comfortbale shoes. I don't have any but I voted they're alright.

Oh, and on the flipside of this, everyone loves converse shoes. Which are pretty stupid looking imo.

Nehpets wrote:
    Oh, and on the flipside of this, everyone loves converse shoes. Which are pretty stupid looking imo.

everyone loves cons because they are a versatile shoe with many different styles.

I would like to see a converse poll started, i rekon the majority would vote they are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I wear them almost every day.

I find them very comfortable and to be honest have been wearing them since before I knew about them being "in fashon" (years and years).

I'm not from D4, I did not go to private or fee-paying schools, I'm not from a "rich" family and I don't own a boat.

They are just a pair of shoes.... I really don't know how they can be an object of hate for some. I too used to laugh in the good old day when you would see people in the shirts, chino's and dubes going into disco's and clubs, it was more that everyone was a copy of each other than anything else. It was their decision to dress like that... I had a laugh to myself and got on with it.

You don't like them - don't buy them. Build a bridge and get over it !

• Advertisement

macrubicon wrote:
    Build a bridge and get over it !

is that so you can sail your d4 boat under something?(what a terrible comment)

You admit you had a laugh at them before so you kinda know what we are going on about. The fact that people wear them with tracksuit's and baggy jeans just looks wrong tho. And generally, the type of person wearing them is a tosspot. Again, i would say you fall into the 2/10 that wouldnt be in that catagory as you are wearing them for some time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If I meet someone I didn't know and they were wearing them, I'd automatically think 'twat'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

Max_Damage wrote:
    I personally don't like them. Doc Marten boots all the way! :D

Right on! knee high black doc martens! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

macrubicon wrote:
    I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I wear them almost every day.

I find them very comfortable and to be honest have been wearing them since before I knew about them being "in fashon" (years and years).

I'm not from D4, I did not go to private or fee-paying schools, I'm not from a "rich" family and I don't own a boat.

They are just a pair of shoes.... I really don't know how they can be an object of hate for some. I too used to laugh in the good old day when you would see people in the shirts, chino's and dubes going into disco's and clubs, it was more that everyone was a copy of each other than anything else. It was their decision to dress like that... I had a laugh to myself and got on with it.

You don't like them - don't buy them. Build a bridge and get over it !

I totally agree.... everyone should listen to this dude n take a leaf outta his book....on that note....

UP DUBES! haha they're kl n u know it!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

everyone loves converse shoes.

I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

If I meet someone I didn't know and they were wearing them, I'd automatically think 'twat'.

See... This is the bit I don't get.... If you meet me and see I am wearing a pair of Dubarrys, you have your mind made up before we even speak. I just can't get my head around that. You are judging me on a pair of shoes !

I don't consider that I wear "dubes" - that is the D4 stereotype that has been made out of them... I wear Dubarry shoes, I could say I don't buy into the image, but that would not be true as I have been wearing them since before they had an "image", so perhaps I'm not able to see what others do about them.

I can have a laugh at those who are the stereotype of an "image". Ugg boots are the same - you can nearly describe what else someone is wearing with them by just knowing they are wearing them. Some people just follow the crowd. But to each their own, I don't let it annoy me. Others do let it annoy them.

As for wearing them with Baggy jeans and Tracksuits, they are not alone. There are lots of things that probably should not go together but if thats what they want to do then fair play to them... I would'nt, but that's my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

red_ice wrote:
    everyone loves cons because they are a versatile shoe with many different styles.

I would like to see a converse poll started, i rekon the majority would vote they are great

I don't think converse are that versatile. Some people they can look ok on, but on most people they look stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

see... it's not that dubes are so bad.. it's really just the D4 association for me... and a lot of people i know too.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

converse look like clown shoes tbh.

There is absoultely nothing wrong with dubes and the people who are bitching about them arent really bitching about the shoes, they are bitching about the people who wear them. If you dont like them, dont go making polls and bringing it to everyones attention. There are lots of things that people dont like but some people have more sense than to start a bitching thread which everyone knows is just going to end up getting locked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

narco wrote:
    see... it's not that dubes are so bad.. it's really just the D4 association for me... and a lot of people i know too.
    i think you hit the nail on the head there narco

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

dubes are nice on some people but i really couldnt wear a pair of boat shoes if im not on a boat just like i wouldnt wear a pair of bowling shoes around town ya know?they're just not nice my dad used to wear them aswell so its just dead weird lol!!
    converse are alright but i think they make ya look like you've huge feet but they look good on my boyfriend!!!he loves his!!!
    Now VANS are cool!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I do not like them at all, would never wear a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

macrubicon wrote:
    See... This is the bit I don't get.... If you meet me and see I am wearing a pair of Dubarrys, you have your mind made up before we even speak. I just can't get my head around that. You are judging me on a pair of shoes !

Don't be so surprised people make initial judgements based on the appearance of others all the time. If I see someone wearing a shell-suit and Nike Air Max, I think scanger. If I see someone wearing a black leather trenchcoat and black eye-liner, I think goth. If I see someone wearing Dubarry shoers, I think twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

I recently bought a pair but they are strictly school shoes...i think they look really stupid with jeans and stuff tho..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Which says more about you than them tbh.

This thread would cosily fit in with the endless threads on AH bitching about emos, goths, sk8r bois etc. Nice little thread for people to try and justify their prejudices to themselves. From my own (anecdotal) experience, its only people who know about the whole 'D4' thing (and are offended by it somehow) who have a problem with them - never came across anyone while living in the UK (in 2 and a half years) who thought they were ridiculous... apart from a few co-workers, who coincidentally were from Dublin.

I don't wear dubes but I do wear a pair of decks. Best shoes I've ever had. Owned them 6 years, worn constantly, still going strong, while other shoes I own tend to fall apart after a couple of months (Adidas Gazelles aside, which are also awesome). They're a bit limited as to what I can wear them with... flaired jeans is about it, but that's mostly all I wear anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

Shoes are shoes.. As long as they cover you feet then who cares what they are.. The constant prejudice about people wearing certain clothes and shoes never ceases to bore me.. Get over it and get on with your life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

red_ice wrote:
    I don't love them.

I wanted to get myself a pair of personalised ones, but when trying to order on the website, they wouldn't let me write "Sweatshop" on them. :rolleyes:

I used to be part of the anti-D4 brigade, but in recent times I've realised it's such bs. Just let people wear whatever the hell they like, be it cons, dubes or otherwise.

I have to admit though, variety makes life more interesting. Everyone having the same shoes sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Which says more about you than them tbh.

This thread would cosily fit in with the endless threads on AH bitching about emos, goths, sk8r bois etc. Nice little thread for people to try and justify their prejudices to themselves. From my own (anecdotal) experience, its only people who know about the whole 'D4' thing (and are offended by it somehow) who have a problem with them - never came across anyone while living in the UK (in 2 and a half years) who thought they were ridiculous... apart from a few co-workers, who coincidentally were from Dublin.

I don't wear dubes but I do wear a pair of decks. Best shoes I've ever had. Owned them 6 years, worn constantly, still going strong, while other shoes I own tend to fall apart after a couple of months (Adidas Gazelles aside, which are also awesome). They're a bit limited as to what I can wear them with... flaired jeans is about it, but that's mostly all I wear anyway.

+1

got it in one there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I don't get the fuss about them. They just seem generic and not particularly stylish or interesting. Is it a Dublin thing?

In fact, there are quite a few trends popular in this forum you never see on other fashion websites - the "D4 look", the rugby look, Aercrombie hoodies etc. These topics seem to attract the most controversy too!

let me rephrase that 'everyone loves cons' part to 'everyone who has a pair of cons loves them because'.

I find it hillarious that people are getting so uptight about this thread. How many Ugg boot threads have we had, but the second we touch on the dubes there is uproar.

If i wanted to take this to AH it wouldnt have stayed on the topic and it would be innondated with 'your ma' replies. As far as i am concerned this is purely a fashon do/dont post, which seems to have touched many soft spots and opened up a good conversation from both sides of the dube barriers.

I saw a post on another thread where a guy was trying to pormote dubes saying they were the best shoes ever. I responded saying i thought they looked stupid and so on. According to that chap i was a 'scobe', because i didnt have a pair of these shoes. Lets get this straight, when i go out, i wear boots/cons a shirt and some drainpipes, when i go to work, i wear shoes and an expencive suit with a fine ass cut, and im clean shaven. The fact that i dont have a pair of dubes makes me a scobe? What a tool.

This steriotype has grown on me because of a series of events, where every time i met someone with these shoes on, they came across that they were up their own arse and better than me. Thats terrible.

Never the less, im going off topic. Again, i think they look silly, and they most certainly give off a bad impression to me. And they dont go with anything imo and it most certainly looks like the vast majority agrees.

• Advertisement

red_ice wrote:
    If i wanted to take this to AH it wouldnt have stayed on the topic and it would be innondated with 'your ma' replies. As far as i am concerned this is purely a fashon do/dont post, which seems to have touched many soft spots and opened up a good conversation from both sides of the dube barriers.
    The AH reference was not to suggest that the thread should be there, but that it is the exactly the same kind of prejudicial garbage that gets rounded on regularly on that forum.

Don't play innocent, this thread has fup all to do with fashion.
    I saw a post on another thread where a guy was trying to pormote dubes saying they were the best shoes ever. I responded saying i thought they looked stupid and so on.
    And so on being calling anyone who wears them idiots, and claiming that everyone who doesn't wear them thinks people who wear them are gimps and retarded. People in 'uproar' over that? What a shocker.
    According to that chap i was a 'scobe', because i didnt have a pair of these shoes. Lets get this straight, when i go out, i wear boots/cons a shirt and some drainpipes, when i go to work, i wear shoes and an expencive suit with a fine ass cut, and im clean shaven. The fact that i dont have a pair of dubes makes me a scobe? What a tool.
    Well, according to you I'm a mentally retarded gimp (or perhaps, as I wear decks not dubes, a semi-mentally retarded gimp on weekends?). Pass me my ball-gag, will you? I could give a long and irrelevant explanation about how I am not these things as you have done, but I don't think anyone gives a ****, nor am I insecure enough to feel the need to validate myself to someone over the internet.
    This steriotype has grown on me because of a series of events, where every time i met someone with these shoes on, they came across that they were up their own arse and better than me. Thats terrible.
    Which kindof proves the point that this thread is nothing to do with the shoes.

Right folks - calm down. Stick to the shoes from now on.

Yup - so I've suggested this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055143394

Well in all fairness, the post has gone off topic. Never the less, i think they look stupid, and so does the majority. I mearly pointed out that the people that i've met who wear them are generally all the same type of person, deal with it.

Do you think that dubes go with a nice baggy grey tracksuit bottom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

They are shocking.

Monkey see Monkey do I suppose:rolleyes:

red_ice wrote:

No. That would be rather fugly tbh. :eek: Irish school chic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Bendihorse wrote:
    I have no idea how these ugly shoes ever became popular, a huge case of 'sheep' instinct i suspect! Old man shoes. They are PANTS. End Of.

i cant believe you said "pants" to describe something god i hate you!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

scruff321 wrote:
    i cant believe you said "pants" to describe something god i hate you!:mad:

The last two words were worse "end of" I hate that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

red_ice wrote:
    Never the less, im going off topic. Again, i think they look silly, and they most certainly give off a bad impression to me. And they dont go with anything imo and it most certainly looks like the vast majority agrees.
    Guess you're just another clone then too....

red_ice wrote:
    I don't think there's such a thing as a "nice" tracksuit bottom, of any description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

theyre so horrible!i dont see how anyone wears them

• Advertisement
Advertisement