Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dubes Poll!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

I think they look good, are durable (will last many years), practical (can be worn for many occasions and you won't be rejected at any pub/club door wearing them) and in buying them i am supporting irish industries instead of korean sweatshops or wherever other brands make their runners. For the record i think cons are revolting but i don't judge people based on their footwear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

dango wrote:
    I think they look good, are durable (will last many years), practical (can be worn for many occasions and you won't be rejected at any pub/club door wearing them) and in buying them i am supporting irish industries instead of korean sweatshops or wherever other brands make their runners. For the record i think cons are revolting but i don't judge people based on their footwear :rolleyes:
    Same as you, except I wouldn't wear dubes because of the abuse you'd get for it off people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

Dubarry's are sailing shoes! Working shoes, not fashion shoes.

They're great on boats because they're comfortable and, as someone pointed out - they last feckin ages... (Not that most of the people who wear them now would need them to) but they will last years and years of hard labour - that is, constant wearing and constant wet-dry-wet-dry-wet-dry, sailors wear them without socks all the time on or out of the water. Also, you don't have to tie the laces.
    Incidentally, that's also why they have the green/red triangle on the outer side -green, starboard, right shoe & left, port, left shoe.

Dubarry also make a waterproof sailing boot - it'd be hilarious to see people wearing those after the recent welly trend!

I suppose they're good school shoes for the reasons above - i had an ancient pair i used to wear to school but that was before it was cool...

I suppose they became popular when kids of sailing people (generally not the poorest echelons of society...) started wearing them to school and other people started copying them. For some reason I can only see the funny side of this particular trend.

Ps. dubes go with shorts, jeans or a drysuit. In a yacht club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I never liked them really but saw them on someone recently and thought they were nice on him so I might have been converted....not on girls though! Never! They remind me too much of my school days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

Whats the big problem with dubes? I love them i think they are very comfortable and look good with my jeans, better tham timbos or black shoes. And no im not form d4 or rich family with a boat. They are shoes for ****s sake why are people so riled up about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Seoid you're so cool.
    How many people who wear skater shoes skate? Not all of them i imagine. It's a comfort/style thing.
    Looking at this thread i can see how ridiculous people's notions can be.
    *puts on dubes and walks out of Fashion & Appearance*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I had a pair a few ys ago before they were the kind of "it thing" for younger girls in schools etc.

I stopped wearing them completely. I had to start going to see an Orthopaedic surgeon due to a sporting injury that was on going for 6 years and he told me they were one of the worst shoes for feet.

Most low back problems stir from incorrect footwear and the placing of the feet and if you look at (girls especially) people wearing dubes, their feet tend to lean to one way as the sole of the shoe wears down. if they continue to wear them for years to come, and especially when they are still growing their backs are going to probably suffer.

Anyway.... that's just my bit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

they are ridiculous shoes, who are worn in majority by a big herd of girls who have bleached blonde hair(with dark roots) up in a big messy pony(the messier the better), tank tops that dont cover their bellies which is covered in streaky brown fake tan, which looks like someone has smeared ****e all over them, and lovely O'Neills bottoms that really go well with the shoes! :confused: they really are a culture of their own! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

emzolita wrote:
    they are ridiculous shoes, who are worn in majority by a big herd of girls who have bleached blonde hair(with dark roots) up in a big messy pony(the messier the better), tank tops that dont cover their bellies which is covered in streaky brown fake tan, which looks like someone has smeared ****e all over them, and lovely O'Neills bottoms that really go well with the shoes! :confused: they really are a culture of their own! :)

yup, and cons are only worn by smelly goths in dirty black jeans, nirvana tees and leather jackets with long dirty black hair who hang around central bank.

And Nike's are only worn by people who mug you and rob cars.

Only Jesus wore flip flops or sandals too don't ya know....

It's funny how a shoe, a bloody SHOE can stir up peopels emotions so easily. It's REALLY funny that this same shoe is seen as a social indicator and a valid judgement of someones personality.

I assume that when the 8/10 people who wear them are up their own ars(e) is mentioned this specifically refers to people who went to fee-paying schools. Did the shoes make them that way?? Or might it be the school they went to... cum hoc ergo propter hoc

And now for something REALLY controversial.... maybe they have a right to be up their own asses?? By and large the "worst" of these people come from very successul families. Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, Captians of industry etc etc.... Maybe their attitude comes from the fact their parents have worked very hard to get where they are and have become bery successful and made alot of money out of , and in my opinion have every right to be proud of themselves (and maybe "up thie own asses") and as already pointed out you're a "victim" of your envoirnment so it makes sense that the kids would perhaps get a little cocky or arrogant since their parents have been so successful.

And now I eagerly await the response of "money and a title doesn't make someone better than anyone else". Consider this tho... those earning the most (normally) pay the most taxes, taxes used to help people, they have more money to contribute to charity, in the case of doctors their work is very "worth while" also.

Arguments like the above tho are always unresolvable because on one side you've the "save the earth, I'm not gonna be a corporate slave" people who go on about how money means nothing and how we're all worthless cos we're all destroying the planet, and on the other you have the people wearing dubes while sitting on thier sailing boats with their €500 sunglasses on sheltering their eyes from the refelection off all their diamonds saying "oh yeah what would you know, you've never worked a hard day in your life and all you do is float around in dirty 2nd hand clothes protesting".

I'm sorry for how ridiculously off topic I've gone, but this whole argument about peoples shoes defining who they are royally p!sses me off.

And the for the record, I've Dubes, Cons, Vans AND skate shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

They're just shoes. Get over yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

Ok firstly, Converse rock. I don't care what anyone says. Although sadly I can no longer wear mine because the back of the sole is hanging off and the toe is coming away from the canvas part at the front =[

But as for Dubes? I think it to be totally sad that people are labelled for wearing shoes/buying shoes to fit into these groups. Wtf? They are a simple pair of leather shoes! They actually are quite comfy IMO, but I never wear them because I don't like how they look..
    But w/ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

artnotort wrote:
    you calling them something for wearing dubes is as bad as them calling your mates emo for wearing converse.
    people are products of their enviroments and i'm sure if your family was well off and you went to a private school you'd be inclined to follow the trends their too.

Who says emos aren't well off. Personally I'm not sure what exactly shoes have to do with income anyway, unless you are too poor to afford anyway. I personally wear both dubes and cons- what does that make me- a well off emo?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

I know someone who weres them cause they're handy for the yacht...

I think that says it all... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Look meh to me, nothing to get worked up about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

dbes are kack as are skater dude shoes,nike,kappa,gola,puma,lacoste ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Rossibaby wrote:
    dbes are kack as are skater dude shoes,nike,kappa,gola,puma,lacoste ftw

sorry but you can't get any more kack than lacoste tbh, they are made for scumbags that haven't had enough education to tie shoe laces hence the need for velcro on their shoes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Velcro rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

lol, I love the way different brand names define the person wearing them for no apparent reason.

What's the difference between a Lacoste polo and a Ralph Lauren polo? Nothing but the logo.
    What's the difference between a Nike tracksuit and a Canterbury tracksuit? Nothing but the logo.

It's sorta sad really.

Advertisement