Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fastnet broadband in fountainstown cork

Options
  • 29-08-2007 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

does anyone know how well the fastnet broadband service in fountainstown works? I have a line of sight to the mast but am about 8 km east of it across the harbour mouth at inch strand.
    THANKS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Davkie

I have had Fastnet in Meath for the last year. Probably the worst broadband provider in the country. From day one we have had problems with them , not just me but the whole village. You count yourself lucky if you get more than a few days of service per week.
    ICE are moving into the area shortly , talking to one of the tech guys he says they have a list of 40+ people waiting to be connected , 90% are/were existing Fastnet customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Whoah

There are if I recall 2 possibly Fastnet Broadband companies

1. a company serving sw Cork which has been taken over by someone I think.

2. a ****ty satellite operator which pretends to be wireless which is this one here

Not the same lot at all

The SWRA maintain an EXCELLENT spreadsheet showing who is supplying what in County Cork .... its a bewildering array of providers if I may say so but good news for Cork.

Digitalforge are the main west cork provider along with Permanet while azotel ( amocom franchisees) do mid south cork to a degree, either side of Cork harbour.

Its all here thanks to the SWRA

http://www.swra.ie/cork_city_county_jan07.xls

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

thanks sponge bob, I believe it's the company called fastzone (used to be fastnet) that provide a wireless service in fountainstown, I've contacted them but need to sign up before they will come out and test it. What I'm hoping to find out is how reliable and stable their service there is. I read a while ago that people are pretty happy with it.

I'm on 3 usb at the moment and will check out the link once its speed picks up ( I could watch a boxset of the sopranos between page loadups at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Davkie

They could be the same, when I made my bi-weekly call to them to complain about the poor service. I was told that the guys were down in Cork working on a new installation and would be unable to look at my problem for a week.

Also , the tech support number which only sometimes works puts you through to a helpdesk in the UK , the guys there call themselves Zone Broadband.

The head installation guy/owner is a Yank with a Boston accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats the Fastnet that your were warned about by Davkie so. They run backhaul on satellite . Have a read .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054980073

• Advertisement
Advertisement