Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Clubs

Options
  • 29-08-2007 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hi all
    i just had my first experence trying to join a gun club ,ballymahon gun club,what a joke it was ,first i was told its no problem to join its a new club looking members,told to go to a meeting on tue night ,i get there,they look at me like i got 10 heads,one member asks what i want ,i say want to join and was told to go to this meeting ,sum of the members get all worked up ,(this meeting is for members only u should not be here,)i said ok ,do u want me to go or stay ,after a lot wispering between them one member said as ur here u may stay ,so next a member asked who i was i told him ,he asked where i lived and was i ever a member of a gum club before ,to which i answered no ,then he asked do u even have a gun,i got annoyed at this stage ,and said i do and do u have any more stupid questions for me to which i was told do u remember ur way home ,with that i got up and left,
    so does any one no of any real gun clubs arround the midlands ,that are run as a club should be ,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Hi Aidan,

Try contacting the Midlands National Shooting Centre of Ireland, Details on website at www.nrai.ie. If you dont like target shooting and prefer game they will direct you to a club in your area.

These guys have everything you will ever need.

50yds Small bore rifle, 600yds Full bore rifle, 25yds Small bore & Full bore pistol, Trap shooting.

Range distance is out to 600yds from 50yds at the moment. plans to go to 100oyds in near future I beleive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 aidanmoor

hi V bull
    thanks very much i will look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

aidanmoor wrote:
    hi all
    i just had my first experence trying to join a gun club ,ballymahon gun club,what a joke it was ,first i was told its no problem to join its a new club looking members,told to go to a meeting on tue night ,i get there,they look at me like i got 10 heads,one member asks what i want ,i say want to join and was told to go to this meeting ,sum of the members get all worked up ,(this meeting is for members only u should not be here,)i said ok ,do u want me to go or stay ,after a lot wispering between them one member said as ur here u may stay ,so next a member asked who i was i told him ,he asked where i lived and was i ever a member of a gum club before ,to which i answered no ,then he asked do u even have a gun,i got annoyed at this stage ,and said i do and do u have any more stupid questions for me to which i was told do u remember ur way home ,with that i got up and left,
    so does any one no of any real gun clubs arround the midlands ,that are run as a club should be ,
    thanks

Why the attitude, maybe they just wanted to know something about you ? Most clubs don't allow prospective members to attend meetings until they are voted in to join. You normally apply and it gets discussed by club at meeting. Not condoning bad manners but come on, I had the same in one of the clubs I'm in and I didn't get upset. Now I know all the lads in the club and they're a good bunch of lads, they only want to keep out undesirables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'd say they got shirty with you at first to see what you were really like, looks like you failed their test. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    I'd say they got shirty with you at first to see what you were really like, looks like you failed their test. :)

No offence, but like all clubs, I don't think it should be a test of your metal the first time you appear!

Anyway, Have a look at this thread, a couple of us are looking into setting up a gun club: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055137279

Anyone interested p.m me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's ultimately up to the members of any club to run it as they see fit; but reading the above, I can't help but remember that the average age of an Irish shooter climbs every year...

test
    i want to joint the club not go there for a test,plus i was told that he i would be voted in before this meeting ,i ask if the want me to leave so they could get on with it and they said no ,so y try to make a fool out of me.

Why the attitude, maybe they just wanted to know something about you ? Most clubs don't allow prospective members to attend meetings until they are voted in to join. You normally apply and it gets discussed by club at meeting. Not condoning bad manners but come on, I had the same in one of the clubs I'm in and I didn't get upset. Now I know all the lads in the club and they're a good bunch of lads, they only want to keep out undesirables.

all i want to do was join in meet what i had hoped was a good bunch of people do a bit of clay shooting and have a bit of fun ,i have had a gun for 15 years have been in no trouble with the law,so i dont see were the problem with me was as they dont no me ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

pampers wrote:
    No offence, but like all clubs, I don't think it should be a test of your metal the first time you appear!

Anyway, Have a look at this thread, a couple of us are looking into setting up a gun club: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055137279

Anyone interested p.m me.

Just to warn you, me and pampers'll put you through a similar process when you try to join our club. We call it The Pampers Test. Only me and pampers have passed so far so be prepared.

Ah no, they were being w@nkers but you replying with a bit of lip was hardly going to do you any good.

A lot of the clubs are very clique-y and if any of the members ahve a problem with you you're out so you have to keep your cap in hand and head down for a while.

ps the "do you remember your way home" question was pretty good. papmers, have noted this for our screening process.

ur right it was a good one was not expecting it ,

• Advertisement

Must remember that one Franko!!!
    Seriously though, would really like to set up a club with no prejudice towards anyone.
    Franko.... Did you get my last PM?

now that would be nice ,no bull ,just people who want to shoot or learn to shoot,i wish u the best in ur quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If that's what you're looking for aidan, you might find the MNSCI a better fit.

Well you're more than welcome to join us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

aidanmoor wrote:
    all i want to do was join in meet what i had hoped was a good bunch of people do a bit of clay shooting and have a bit of fun ,i have had a gun for 15 years have been in no trouble with the law,so i dont see were the problem with me was as they dont no me ,

The Guys in Midlands(M.N.S.C.I.) are friendly enough bunch.
    I have had no hassle joining up there and was
    not interrogated. Walked into the place had a chat
    with 2-3 people and asked about membership.
    They posted me an applicatiion form, I filled it in,
    gave them the money next time I was up and Instant membership!
    There and then.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

bullets wrote:
    The Guys in Midlands(M.N.S.C.I.) are friendly enough bunch.
    I have had no hassle joining up there and was
    not interrogated. Walked into the place had a chat
    with 2-3 people and asked about membership.
    They posted me an applicatiion form, I filled it in,
    gave them the money next time I was up and Instant membership!
    There and then.

~B
    I'm open to correction here, but I got the impression that the OP was looking to join a 'Gun Club' in the Irish sense: a local group mainly interested in game/rough shooting (pheasants, ducks, etc) and the associated vermin control with a bit of clay pigeon thrown in occasionally, usually affiliated to the NARGC.
    Midlands is a Target Shooting club/facility/range; a different sort of 'gun club' altogether in the Irish situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

pampers wrote:
    Well you're more than welcome to join us!
    Indeed. I must email you.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Rovi & Aidanmoor,

You are right, the Midlands is a target club but, I beleive that they have recently become members / affiliated with the NARGC through it's neighbouring game clubs which are many, check them out, they will introduce you to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Rovi wrote:
    I'm open to correction here, but I got the impression that the OP was looking to join a 'Gun Club' in the Irish sense: a local group mainly interested in game/rough shooting (pheasants, ducks, etc) and the associated vermin control with a bit of clay pigeon thrown in occasionally, usually affiliated to the NARGC.
    Midlands is a Target Shooting club/facility/range; a different sort of 'gun club' altogether in the Irish situation.

OP only mentioned Clay shooting did not see any mention of game.
    Thats why I mentioned midlands.

Was also wondering about affiliations that clubs have with other places.
    Got my Countryside Alliance Ireland Card the other day. Did not even
    realize I was a member until I spotted that Midlands National S.C.I.
    had paid the bill! (ie my membership fee included insurance) Which is all good :)

~B

Advertisement