Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Phones on Meteor?

• 29-08-2007 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Any body know what the likely phones are to be released on Meteor? (Chrislad?:))They're selection of phones in the last year have been brutal! I asked the guy in the shop when they had new phones coming in and he see October.

I'm looking to get a new phone I don't want to wait until October some time if the selection is going to be equally sh1te.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Been asking this for weeks - no-one seems to know

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

hey guys,
    just noticed that the meteor phone section has been updated to include a few new handsets. It seems that it is being updated while i was checking it, because the page layout changed a few times and some phones were added first with broken links and then with correct one. Nothing overly exciting really, but take a look for yourself. I kinda like the samsung f200, but they only seem to have it in pink :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

samsung f200? do you mean e200? they have NO decent phones just over-priced walkman rubbish about 6 different phones all with exact same features yet some €89 and others €229

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The following phones will be available in the next few weeks (before the end of Oct, in all probability)

Motorla V8 (Exclusive to Meteor)
    Sony Ericsson W580i
    Nokia 5700
    Nokia 7373 (Pink)
    Nokia E65
    Samsung F200

Prices are in the new catalog. The V8 is coming in at 129, the 5700 at 79 and the W580i at 29. The F200 is 179 PaYG, 29 Bill. All bill prices are Talk 300 and higher. For lower plans, generally add 20e to the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

FFS still all 2mp phones with all the same features I've been waiting two months to upgrade 'cos the phones are crap - think I'll change networks altogether now I'm tired of waiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

If you happy with meteor I would wait until at least Nov cause I have a feeling the new Samsung G600 will be on meteor it has a 5meg pix cam! Im holding out for it anyhow.

In all fairness, 2mp seems to be the standard.

Vodafone have 4 phones above 2 MP. K800i can hardly be considered new. The N73 is a similar age. They also have the N95 and the 7390. Everything else is 2.0 or less.

O2 have the K800i, N95 and the 7390 as well. Everything else is 2.0 or lower.

Meteor only have the U600 with a 3.2 camera, and they have the older D900 with a 3.0 camera. Everything else is 2.0 or less.

You're not going to find a huge amount of new phones elsewhere, bar the N95 and 7390 at the moment. Sony are in a bit of a rut with every phone they release being a rehash of the last (to name but a few being the K750i, W800i, W810i, W610i, W850i, W580i, K550i etc). Motorola are the same (being the K1, Z6 and V8), and so are Nokia (again, the 6300, 6233, 7373 and the 6131, 5300 and 6111 were fairly similar)

It's not the networks as such, the phone market has just been a bit slow. You either have the massively expensive newer ones (like the N95) or rehashes o the older ones.

chrislad wrote:
    The following phones will be available in the next few weeks (before the end of Oct, in all probability)

Motorla V8 (Exclusive to Meteor)
    Sony Ericsson W580i
    Nokia 5700
    Nokia 7373 (Pink)
    Nokia E65
    Samsung F200

Prices are in the new catalog. The V8 is coming in at 129, the 5700 at 79 and the W580i at 29. The F200 is 179 PaYG, 29 Bill. All bill prices are Talk 300 and higher. For lower plans, generally add 20e to the price.

Is the Nokia E65 a definite? I saw a new Meteor billboard yesterday with a lineup of their new handsets, and dont remember seeing the E65.
    This would be the only phone of the above lineup I would have any interest in. And that's just because it has wifi, otherwise I don't think I'd be too ecxited about it.

E65 is in the current catalog so I guess they're getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

It is true that the manufacturers are not pushing out very exciting new models at the moment, however I'm pretty shocked by the lack of the N95.

There's two ways of looking at Meteor, one is as a second-tier, bargain basement network.

The other is as a Metro-oriented (ie covers cities very well) challenge to the established networks.

I have always taken the second view, but lately Meteor is disappointing me a lot.

3G has been around a long long time. It is suited to the urban environment. Location-based hardware has been around a long time.

Sure, not many manufacturers have come out with sensible offerings, but Nokia have. It's there. No excuses.

Is there really no good reason for Meteor not to have it?

It doesn't bode well in my opinion for their future 3G offerings not to have it.

• Advertisement

It is true that the manufacturers are not pushing out very exciting new models at the moment, however I'm pretty shocked by the lack of the N95.

There's two ways of looking at Meteor, one is as a second-tier, bargain basement network.

The other is as a Metro-oriented (ie covers cities very well) challenge to the established networks.

I have always taken the second view, but lately Meteor is disappointing me a lot.

3G has been around a long long time. It is suited to the urban environment. Location-based hardware has been around a long time.

Sure, not many manufacturers have come out with sensible offerings, but Nokia have. It's there. No excuses.

It doesn't bode well in my opinion for their future 3G offerings not to have it.

I have gotten very disappointed with Meteor in the past year. And I have thought about moving several times, but as I said before, most my friends are on Meteor too, so I'm only staying because of the free texts. Terrible that they have nothing solid to offer people like me that want good quality phones and not a catalog of "budget priced" models, and up to date services such as 3G and mobile broadband. I kinda wish they took the free texts away so I would no longer have a reason to remain a meteor customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

They only got their 3G license fairly recently, so that's probably why they haven;t implemented it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I asked one of the staff in one of the Meteor Shops about the E65. She said it's only being trialed for business customers for now and might be rolled out for general users then depending on the reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,258 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was hoping the SE K850i, SE W960i or the Samsung U600 would make an appearence on the payg range, but no. Oh well.

Looks like i will have to go the sim-free route.

Advertisement