Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What router with Last Mile?

Options
  • 29-08-2007 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what sort of Router do I need to use with Last Mile?

I've heard its DSL (pretty much a cable modem?) and not ADSL , is that correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Last Mile wireless broadband would appear to be similar to Irishbroadband Breeze, so you will have a network cable coming into your premises terminating in RJ45.

With my IBB Breeze I use a Linksys WRT54G which is a BROADBAND/CABLE router, NOT an ADSL modem/router which is the mistake some people make when purchasing a router. DLink seems to have less favourable reviews here. Netgear wouldn't be a bad choice.

I'm sure others will confirm my first sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

humaxf1 wrote:
    Last Mile wireless broadband would appear to be similar to Irishbroadband Breeze, so you will have a network cable coming into your premises terminating in RJ45.

With my IBB Breeze I use a Linksys WRT54G which is a BROADBAND/CABLE router, NOT an ADSL modem/router which is the mistake some people make when purchasing a router. DLink seems to have less favourable reviews here. Netgear wouldn't be a bad choice.

I'm sure others will confirm my first sentence.

Whats the connection speed of your package?

I'd also like to know what speeds do you get on the router using wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I'm on 3Mb-UP, 3Mb-DOWN for 48euro a month.

I don't use the wireless too much...I'm on my desktop mostly which is cabled into a switch.

TBH, I don't take much notice on download speeds on my laptop which is wireless, but most of the time if I do any downloading, it's much of a muchness compared to the desktop. It is a lil bit slower alright, but a WRT54G will serve you well in my experience.

I'll do a few comparisions tonight and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

humaxf1 wrote:
    I'm on 3Mb-UP, 3Mb-DOWN for 48euro a month.

I don't use the wireless too much...I'm on my desktop mostly which is cabled into a switch.

TBH, I don't take much notice on download speeds on my laptop which is wireless, but most of the time if I do any downloading, it's much of a muchness compared to the desktop. It is a lil bit slower alright, but a WRT54G will serve you well in my experience.

I'll do a few comparisions tonight and let you know.

Lastmile is 512 down!
    Its not for me, its for my parents house. They live in the middle of nowhere!

I wonder what the speed using that and a wireless router would be? Just for surfing that is?

Advertisement