Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is NTL 2mb good for gaming and movies?

Options
  • 29-08-2007 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm considering getting NTL's 2mb broadband package. I will use it for downloading movies on the PC and gaming (via router) on the PS3. Will the 2mb connection be okay for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

I have the 3mb line with NTL and gaming works fine (over PS3). I use a wireless router to conenct the PS3 to the broadband.

I'd imagine 2MB line might be ok. Try it out, you can always get it upgraded to the 3MB or the bigger 6mb one later on. I think its only an extra 5 euro per month to go from 2MB to 3MB with NTL.

As for movies, the point is the size of the file being downloaded is the main issue. I have never downloaded a movie but I have downloaded files of say 300mb, took less than an hour anyways. The difference in time for downloading a big file over a 2mb line versus a 3mb line isnt goin to be huge.

There are monthly download limits too with NTL, I think its 30gb with the 3MB line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

2Mb is fine for gaming. Assuming you're downloading an average 700MB movie, using Bittorent, ~150kB/s Thats about an hour and a quarter for a movie.

Watch your download limit, NTL do enforce.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

NTL do enforce caps and they also throttle bittorrent although they won't admit this, do a search and you'll find a few threads discussing throttling on NTL.

Advertisement