Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Creative Zen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The new Creative Zen Vision M 60Gb looks alright! Only €229 from Komplett!

wp800_zenvisionm_2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

but it looks the same as the older versions.

unless you meant look in a different way?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got myself the 16g from beyond 2000 the other day for 300. Still have to play about with it a bit more yet but very happy with it so far. My laptop did crash whilst trying to convert a couple of video files this morning, but i think that was down to other issues with my pc right now but i'll figure that out next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I think I might get the 60gb m vision. Its creative, and its enough capacity for my needs. €229 is pretty good value, even if the player is essentially the same as the older model.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It is the same except slimmer than the old 60gb model, good buy too so I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BostonB wrote: »
    How well does it handle compilations?

Does anyone know how these Zen's handle compilations? Or does no one have compilation albums.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Not well

It handles them by Artist (ID3 info) I think and does not group compilations unless you are in album view.

Mactard wrote: »
    Not well

It handles them by Artist (ID3 info) I think and does not group compilations unless you are in album view.

Thats the same as the ZV:M I have. Thats a pity. The way iTunes does it now is quite smart.

BostonB wrote: »
    Thats the same as the ZV:M I have. Thats a pity. The way iTunes does it now is quite smart.

True true, I like how apple have done it, it's like they actually thought about what their users listen to.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Couldn't this be overcome by just making a playlist of the compilation, or am I missing something?

Its fills the artist list with a load of artists who only have one track, which is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I kinda of like that though, means you can quickly get to the song.

And if you get an album by the artist, you can get the single track along with their other songs.

Timans wrote: »
    I kinda of like that though, means you can quickly get to the song.

And if you get an album by the artist, you can get the single track along with their other songs.

I don't see how it makes it quicker if you have a zillion artists to scroll through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

On ebay the 16GB model is available for 230 Euro[incl shipping].
    It's damn sexy lookin', but for that price there is a lot more available out there capacity wise. I do like the idea of the expansion slot tho'.
    Then there is the Zen Vision W for an extra 30 Euro.....hmmm!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I got one the other day. Good fun messing about with it so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

does anyone know if it has a V out like the Vision M?

Considering this for my wife for christmas after she decided against the i-pod touch as she couldn't use the touch screen with her long nails.....

Creative FTW :)

Macspower wrote: »
    does anyone know if it has a V out like the Vision M?
    It doesn't.

BTW I got the 8gb version for €200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

GF got 1 about a month ago €169 in Peats....Its really simple to use wouldn't mind 1 with a 60 GB memory...my zen touch is begining to look its age!!

slickmcvic wrote: »
    GF got 1 about a month ago €169 in Peats....Its really simple to use wouldn't mind 1 with a 60 GB memory...my zen touch is begining to look its age!!

was this a 4Gb or 8Gb model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

robinph wrote: »
    Just asked for the price of the 16G in Dixons, which is effectively the same shop as Currys, and they wanted €389.99 for it. :eek:

i went to currys(galway) today and they wanted €389 too, don't know if that was just a stupid salesman or if they have that on their computer system.
    only €300 on creative's website though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

Hi

Pixmania are selling the 16gb version for EUR 224 + delivery. Thats the cheapest I've seen so far, normally around the EUR 300 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

The prices have dropped a good bit since they came out.
    Play are now selling the 8gb one for €155 delivered it was about €199
    a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Prices would want to come down a bit for the amount of storage!

You can get the Ipod classic for not alot more!?

dlambirl wrote: »
    Prices would want to come down a bit for the amount of storage!

You can get the Ipod classic for not alot more!?

we're talking HDD Vs Flash, HDD will be cheaper than Flash for the next few years, but flash overall is better, more reliable, faster booting, no laggy menus etc...

Just an update on this. The first one I got died. no freezing, nothing. PC couldn't connect to it, and not even a flicker on the Zen.

Went to get it replaced (in Peats in Blanchardstown) and rather than give me a whole new box, salesman removed a Zen from an upoened bix and gave me that with my "extras". The problem was he gave me a 4gb version. Had to change it agin that evening.

Anyway, the new one is on the go for a couple of days and perfect so far. reading other forums it doesn't seem to be a common fault so fingers crossed

Dodge wrote: »
    Just an update on this. The first one I got died. no freezing, nothing. PC couldn't connect to it, and not even a flicker on the Zen.

Went to get it replaced (in Peats in Blanchardstown) and rather than give me a whole new box, salesman removed a Zen from an upoened bix and gave me that with my "extras". The problem was he gave me a 4gb version. Had to change it agin that evening.

Anyway, the new one is on the go for a couple of days and perfect so far. reading other forums it doesn't seem to be a common fault so fingers crossed

Yeah, it's the classic "**** happens" scenario I guess.

Great to hear it's all working out for ya though, keep us updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i was using one of these yesterday, a mates one for a bus journey home, and my god i nearly died as i kept thinking i lost it.

and for someone who worships his mp3 player he wouldn't of been happy if i lost it :p.

and it's so easy to use, creative have seriously done some good work in their UI department.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Droichead

bought one of the 16gb new zens - very nice and useful - but anyone know how to turn off the screen display when just listening to music, etc. although the display dims after a while it isn't really necessary to have a display at all when listening to audiobooks for instance ?

You can knock the display brightness down to 10% and set backlight time
    to 5 seconds, but there doesn't seem any way to turn off the backlight completely.

these are done in System\Display Settings

Thanks but I was hoping to be able to turn off the screen altogether ! There is another odd feature of this zen which is that the clock does not keep time - no matter how often you put the correct time on it the following day it is hours off !

• Advertisement

Droichead wrote: »
    Thanks but I was hoping to be able to turn off the screen altogether ! There is another odd feature of this zen which is that the clock does not keep time - no matter how often you put the correct time on it the following day it is hours off !

Works fine for me

No problems here with time, ahve you upgraded to latest firmware
    to try and fix it ? latest version is 1.11.04e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

okee wrote: »
    You can knock the display brightness down to 10% and set backlight time
    to 5 seconds, but there doesn't seem any way to turn off the backlight completely.

these are done in System\Display Settings

Lock the player, screen turns off after 5 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

uberpixie wrote: »

Same for the Zen M.

uberpixie wrote: »

Thanks, didn't even know you could lock it :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for help. Locking the Zen does shut the display off - I just hadn't assoicated that fact with my expectation that once one was listening to an audiobook it would automatically switch off - one lives and learns. I also downloaded a new update and the clock problem is sorted ok. Now if I could only find a quick way to rip some of my dvds !

Droichead wrote: »
    Now if I could only find a quick way to rip some of my dvds !

handbrake does this well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Hey, I dropped my ancient sony NW-hd 3 walkman and cracked the screen and thought it would be about time to get a new mp3 player.

Was thinking of picking up the 60gb vision M from komplett.ie for 250e. Would this be a good idea? i know its been out awhile but it seems to have recieved great reviews

The new zen looks good but 16gb is too small for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mobby

Beekay wrote: »
    Hey, I dropped my ancient sony NW-hd 3 walkman and cracked the screen and thought it would be about time to get a new mp3 player.

Was thinking of picking up the 60gb vision M from komplett.ie for 250e. Would this be a good idea? i know its been out awhile but it seems to have recieved great reviews

The new zen looks good but 16gb is too small for me.

Just had a mate pick me up a 60gb Zen M in the airport shop Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam for €199 so shop around

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've not used my zen in the last couple of weeks and the battery now seems to be completely dead. Just plugged in the usb to recharge it and other than a brief flash of the blue light behind the power switch when i first plugged in the cable there now seems to be no life left in it.

Im now leaving it plugged in over night in the hope it will come back to life, but im not too hopefull right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've not used my zen in the last couple of weeks and the battery now seems to be completely dead. Just plugged in the usb to recharge it and other than a brief flash of the blue light behind the power switch when i first plugged in the cable there now seems to be no life left in it.

Im now leaving it plugged in over night in the hope it will come back to life, but im not too hopefull right now.

Is this the vision:m? Exact same thing happened to my vision:m. Left it charging at the mains for a good few hours and it was grand in the end.

Nope, it's the 16g zen. Praying that a night on charge is all it needs though as i only got it a month or so back.

this is common on the Zen's. Normally leaving it in the USB wont bring it back and you need the wall charger... think they stopped supplying them with the zens a while back... if you allow the battery to completely die only the mains charger will bring it back to life..... try leaving it in anyway and see

Still completely dead this morning. :(

The only cable they give you with the new Zen's is a very short mini usb cable and my previous Creative players were so old that it was before they charged them via the usb. I did find a mains usb charger with Motorola written on it this morning, don't have a clue what that might have come with though. I'll give it a try with that next but I'm not expecting much.

I'd contact creative and have it replaced if I were you. This is a common fault with many DAP's using lithium ion batteries, (the same thing happened to my friends macbook actually, ie. she let it die, didn't charge it for a few days and it no longer took a charge)

• Advertisement

Managed to get it to come back to life now by having the mains usb plugged in and then hitting the reset button at the same time. :D

Managed to get it to come back to life now by having the mains usb plugged in and then hitting the reset button at the same time. :D

That's awesome! Usually these types of stories don't have happy endings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Bought one of these as a present for someone. Is it normal for there to a rattle when you shake it? Not a little rattle, it's like the whole of the inside is moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Anybody know if/where/when the new 32gb zen goes on sale?

21st according to the creative site, it was supposed to be the 11th, then the 14th, now it's the 21st... we'll just have to wait and see.

It was apparently made available today in america.

• Advertisement
Advertisement