Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 6Meg ? - Questions

Options
  • 29-08-2007 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Anyone who has seen my other post here about problems with my eircom connection will know why Im asking (either way I am interested in more speed).

Just wanted to know what can I expect from NTL 6meg connection if I was to get it?

Is it really that much faster?
    What is the uptime like? - have you had any serious problems with it?

Are you on it now? - Id appreciate it if you ran a speedtest and posted the results if you have time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mencius

A few months back I would have told you to avoid NTL at all costs but I haven't lost connection in at least two months and a happy with the service for the first time in a year.

Ping in games has dropped quiet a lot and you will be D/l at 720 / 730 Kb/s most of the time.

178726073.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Mencius wrote:
    A few months back I would have told you to avoid NTL at all costs but I haven't lost connection in at least two months and a happy with the service for the first time in a year.

Ping in games has dropped quiet a lot and you will be D/l at 720 / 730 Kb/s most of the time.

178726073.png

Right so, Im getting it!

How much it it in total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Speedtests will not show NTL/UPC/Chello/Chorus traffic shaping which
    will mean if you use torrents your speeds be severely restricted.

So those speeds would be more pushed towards http / web etc rather than anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

iRock wrote:
    So those speeds would be more pushed towards http / web etc rather than anything else?

Torrents don't seem to work great though others have said they are fine. I don't use torrents so I would recommend NTL but others may disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

I have had a 3MB line with NTL for 2 years. Up to last week the service was fully reliable and good. I had no issues whatsoever.

In the last week it was down for 6 days due to general area problems in West Dublin due to upgrades. Its been back for a few days now and no hassles getting credit on my bill for the downtime.

I would recommend NTL broadband no problem, 30euro a month for a 3MB line is very good. And speeds are always between 2 and 3mb when I test it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

paulm17781 wrote:
    Torrents don't seem to work great though others have said they are fine. I don't use torrents so I would recommend NTL but others may disagree.
    Torrents work perfectly if you're getting them from somewhere with a decent seed/leech ratio.
    They've been fairly crap in Galway ever since the UPC takeover, I definitely wouldn't recommend them anyway...
    Too much random downtime and crazy packet loss at other times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mencius

Torrent work absolutely fine for me, I regularly get 400 - 500 Kb/s on well seeded torrents at most times including peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Are you in Galway Mencius?

I noticed fluctuating speeds from around February or so, regardless of whether private/public torrents. Happy out with NTL broadband aside from that, just would have appreciated some form of heads-up as to their new policies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

iRock wrote:
    Right so, Im getting it!

How much it it in total?

NTL have their own website where such information is easily obtained!!!!:rolleyes: Boardsies are not slaves remember!.

• Advertisement

Mikey23 wrote:
    Are you in Galway Mencius?

I noticed fluctuating speeds from around February or so, regardless of whether private/public torrents. Happy out with NTL broadband aside from that, just would have appreciated some form of heads-up as to their new policies.

Of course Newsgroups will be fine anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Mencius wrote:
    Torrent work absolutely fine for me, I regularly get 400 - 500 Kb/s on well seeded torrents at most times including peak hours.

did you do anything special like open ports with a router or are you just downloading straight through the modem?
    i sometimes get 200K+ but most times around 30K- - not sure if thats the poorly seeded torrents though

okcomputer wrote:
    did you do anything special like open ports with a router or are you just downloading straight through the modem?
    i sometimes get 200K+ but most times around 30K- - not sure if thats the poorly seeded torrents though

uTorrent have some tutorials on this (for the windows users)
    There also some Azureus ones out there for Mac.

Worth trying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

okcomputer wrote:
    iRock wrote:
    uTorrent have some tutorials on this (for the windows users)
    There also some Azureus ones out there for Mac.

Worth trying

I've never been able to get a straight answer to this question either :rolleyes: Have read the guides but they don't seem all that applicable to NTL - I've been told there's no way to forward ports with the NTL modem so that pretty much renders them all useless?? Encryption definitely doesn't work either. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Mencius wrote:

178726073.png

I would disagree with you. It is rarely i get above 500KB/s down. Alot of the time servers dont even upload as fast as 700 KB.

Anyway, to those that say their torrents are fine, can you please tell us which trackers you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've configured several routers for friends with NTL.

All ports are forwarded correctly and uTorrent even with
    encryption forced rarely exceeds speeds of 50kps during
    the day or evening. I've tried numerous random ports right
    across the ranges -even tried port 80 - and it's obvious
    that in Dublin South NTL are using traffic shaping at peak
    times.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

I love my 6meg NTL connection.

It is rock solid for me and I regularly get 700kbps when downloading large files (uploading server permitting of course).

I'm in Dublin 5, so like most internet connections your mileage may vary depending on where you are, but from my experience I would heartily recommend it.

Sidane wrote:
    I love my 6meg NTL connection.

It is rock solid for me and I regularly get 700kbps when downloading large files (uploading server permitting of course).

I'm in Dublin 5, so like most internet connections your mileage may vary depending on where you are, but from my experience I would heartily recommend it.

I'm guessing that downloading NZB's with Usenet will be ok? <--- does this use port 80 or what?

When you go over your download limit I hear NTL will enforce... what do they charge?

It is very rarely that they do anything, but when they do , they dont charge you anything, instead they threaten to dissconnect you if you keep up the over usage.

It is very rarely that they do anything, but when they do , they dont charge you anything, instead they threaten to dissconnect you if you keep up the over usage.
    Don't mind that at all... might aswell take the service and run them into the ground :D ..... Joking!

I'll give it a go anyway and see what its like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have the 6MB package from NTL in Dublin city centre and I have no problems in giving it a big thumbs up. I've experianced no down time since getting it about 4 months ago and download speeds are great (depending on the server). I have often gotten around the 600K mark and downloading with uTorrent I have often hit the 400-500K mark.

can you tell me which trackers you use eo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

NTL 6 Meg 7:15pm tonight (Friday 31st):

180119424.png

(WATERFORD)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

iRock wrote:
    I'm guessing that downloading NZB's with Usenet will be ok? <--- does this use port 80 or what?

When you go over your download limit I hear NTL will enforce... what do they charge?

Yeah usenet works fine full speed, NTL don't enforce their cap although if you go over it by a huge ammount you will get a letter from them asking you to download less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Does anyone have this in the Ongar area of Dublin 15? And if so, is it stable for downloads and playing games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

I have it in D15 (carpenterstown) not too far from Ongar. Service here is APPALING! it was fine for me last year tho, was on the max package and at one stage i was getting 10Megs, even tho I was only paying for 6.

Then UPC came in, introduced the cap, destroyed the service and took out all customer support.

as of tomorrow, I am moving to smart. If you are on the blanchardstown exchange I recommend checking them out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

can you tell me which trackers you use eo?
    Ehhhhhh.... by that I guess you mean.....??????

eo980 wrote:
    Ehhhhhh.... by that I guess you mean.....??????

I think he means where do you get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Remember that any mention of warez or how to obtain it will get you banned.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote:
    Remember that any mention of warez or how to obtain it will get you banned.

Yes but can't they just say which trackers they get good speeds from??

And yes by tracker i mean which website you get them from. I use Isohunt as my main one too and I get dire speeds.

Advertisement