Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 6Meg ? - Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Yes but can't they just say which trackers they get good speeds from??

And yes by tracker i mean which website you get them from. I use Isohunt as my main one too and I get dire speeds.

It'll depend on seeders/leachers. Anyway back to the topic of NTL.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes but can't they just say which trackers they get good speeds from??

And yes by tracker i mean which website you get them from. I use Isohunt as my main one too and I get dire speeds.

Given the content of many trackers, it could also very well lead to a ban.
    Content being..copyright TV, movies, software, music etc

I suggest if you want to test speeds, there are plenty of trackers out there that only offer Linux ISO's...you'll find these trackers also have lots of seeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ferox13

NTL definally traffic shape/use some sort of disabling connections.

They weren't always like this either..

I get good speeds on private trackers with a good few seeder but often on the same trackers and there is just one or 2 seeds, i can't connect to them even though I know we all have ports forward correctly..

When I first signed with NTL this was never a problem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I don't see what the problem is with NTL shaping torrents at peak times.
    other people want to use there broadband at peak times too, so why should someone downloading illegal movies be allowed destroy the whole system. A lot of people want to play games or use VOIP in the evening and the bandwidth should be allocated to them.

It's not hard to queue your torrents to download over the night or during the day when you're at work.It's probably an issue with the number of Seeds and Leachers also.

I VPN into work and anytime I do I get the full speed i should be, I've often downloaded 2 GB in about 2 hours on my 3Meg connection. This has happened at different times of the day and the speed has always remained constant.

I'd reccomend NTL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Only time when torrents work decently for me is if its overnight. I know NTL are traffic shaping cos its more or less reduced most decently seeded torrents to a crawl. End of the day i dont mind if i can average 40-50kb/s but not even gettin 10kb/s on a high seeded torrent off of animesuki.com (fansub anime site) is pathetic. I know theres a bunch of issues at hand but at the minimum what im payin for at the end of the day is a 6meg line im payin for and if i wanna download the occassional file with bittorrent there should be a decent amount of bandwidth speed for it and not havin to look at it completely nerfed -.-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I think they're shaping off-peak too. I only ever torrent between the hours of 0100 and 0800, and recently speeds have been ****e. About 80mb in the 7 hours, with torrents from various sources, and plenty of seeders.

I don't mind shaping at peak times (in fact I'm all for it), but not in the middle of the night.
    Will be cancelling as soon as my modem from my new provider.

Oh and when I rang to cancel I was told from October you'll be able to get broadband without needing to sign up for the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There was a flyer in the NTL bill I got a few days ago saying that the rebranding to UPC will happen in October. I presume product lineups might be shuffled about a bit to coincide with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking NTL 6Mb offer since my line is not broadband capable.

So it seems that it gives a good connection but i'm really worried about gaming at peak times.

Will i experience problems :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Gaming doesn't use much bandwidth hell you could even play world of warcraft using a dialup modem.
    Only thing you need to watch out for is your ping the lower the better, anything generaly over 500ms you will watch your characters run into walls ect.

I have the NTL dude out in the next hour to hook me up with the 6Mb package and Digital Tv not bad for 30Euro's for the first 6months and 65Euro's after that.

*** Edit ***
    They just came see attachment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I had ntl out in tallaght. And the 6mb package was great. Line would drop maybe once a week. I would get 780kbs max. Not sure if the 6mb to 10mb trick is still availible though. If it is you will be getting 1.25MB/s download speeds.

Only thing i disslike with ntl are the pings. On irish servers (css) i would get 15-30 ping. Now im on bt i get between 5-7 ping constantly, even with a second pc playing on the same server. Also, take note that not all hosts will let you download at your full speed. i found i was usually capped at 500kbs from free sources. Though if you are a usenet or private torrent groups you will easill yhit your full speeds. Newsgroups will give you slightly more speeds upto about 800/900kbs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've been with them a number of months and have experienced no downtime on their 6mb package. Speeds, last time I checked, were fine but torrents can be a different matter - on well seeded ones, I've sometimes got as low as 8-10k/sec whereas others push up into 300k/sec (at the same time of day as well).

Anyone who has used their default router with it - does it have any issues with torrents? I've got a Linkysys router and, after awhile, it slows down and can't create any new connections. I'm forced to restart the router and it appears it's an issue a number of routers have - is the NTL supplied one one of those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

Hum when i meant gaming i meant fps gaming not WoW :D
    Ping is the most important thing for this kind of game.

Well from what i've read here, it seems that the connection is pretty good.

The only thing which i hate is the stupid 40GB cap :mad:
    Do they provide a page or a way to monitor what you've used ?
    According to their technical performances i guess that no :(

Advertisement