Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating Problem - please help!!

Options
  • 29-08-2007 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having a problem heating the radiators downstairs in the house and feeding hot water in to the boiler at the same time - basically there is a valve on the boiler in the hot press, the more I close this valve the hotter the radiators downstairs heat up, the more I open the colder they get - problem is if I want the radiators downstairs to heat up I have to more or less close this valve - only have it open 1 turn at the minute - fine set-up for the radiators but the water feeding into the boiler must be flowing at a slower rate as it takes more than double the time to heat the water when compared with having the valve open 3 or 4 turns!

Each valve on the individual radiators in only open a couple of turns - just had the boiler serviced but was a problem before then - guy said there was clothes on top of this blue box next to the boiler and these were preventing some metal pin from moving across - some sort of a regulator - but I've never seen this metal pin move.

Radiators upstairs seem fine.

Any advice or help on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EireEv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

I assume you mean the copper cylinder when you talk of the boiler in the hot press.
    The boiler is the thing that generates the heat either by gas or oil.

Your system need to be balanced so that water flows equally through all parts of the system.
    Is your heating system zoned , maybe this explains the blue box if it is a motorised valve. the system may be designed so that either the heating is on or the hot water is on or both.

Check out older posts about balancing a system or get the guy who serviced the system to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

I agree with beldin, your rads need to be balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Again I agree.
    Check the return pipes on the rads, are they warm when the rads are warm?
    If not try opening the Lock Shield Valves (the valves on the other side of the rads, the ones designed not to turn, you will need to take off the plastic cover/screw)

Open each of these on each rad a couple of turns.

If the water isnt circulating in your system it wont be working properly.

I wonder is the valve beside your cylinder supposed to also have a motorised valve on it? A pic would help.

Once you have opened the LSV's return the valve beside the cylinder to normal. (or fully open)

Advertisement