Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A louder voice...

• 29-08-2007 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Alright lads,

Would any of ye know where in town I could go for a few 'projection' lessons?
    I'm not sure it is actually called this way, but basically I've come to realise that even though I've got a great singing voice, it sometimes is difficult to be louder than my guitar and my loud drummer. On many occasions, the sound engineer has asked me to sing louder cos in both the stage monitors and the speakers the levels were at level 'max'...

I am not looking for a 'singing' lesson as such... maybe more a lesson that would teach me how to sing louder - could it be a 'breathing technique' lesson? I'm also told actors do get these kind of classes in order to be heard from the stage in big theatres and sh*it...

Can anyone help or suggest someone/somewhere to contact?

Ta! :)

Lauren

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

I am not looking for a 'singing' lesson as such... maybe more a lesson that would teach me how to sing louder - could it be a 'breathing technique' lesson?

Not really, I would say these things are one and the same. Just singing louder without regards to the manner in which you're singing could f*ck you up tbh. Projection is not a thing in itself, it's more the product of everything else.

You can't lose anything from lessons (people may occasionally regail you with ridiculous stories of how such and such lost all their "mojo" after they got singing lessons, and how masturbation causes blindness), but when you understand how things work you can can pick and choose what you use and how, so I'd strongly suggest going that way so you can come to know what's going inside your vocal system.

Michelle Mooney is the person I usually suggest - 087 7564911. I think she teaches in the TBMC still. She taught me about six years ago, when she was working for the Parnell School of Music. Give her a call, the assessment/introductory lesson is free afaik. There's a few other teachers around Dublin I think, but none that I have personal experience with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Thanks Eoin, I shall get on to Michelle, so.
    Byebye
    Lauren

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

...even though I've got a great singing voice

Second only to your modesty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Sounds like your drummer is too loud. We have the same problem.

Advertisement