Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain The Results Screen

• 29-08-2007 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Iv attached a picture of my results screen in student records (with certain details blurred never put too much detail on the net:D). I thought I had some idea of how the QCA system works but I realise now, after looking at the results page, I dont have a clue! So what Id love is somebody to tell me what each of those columns in the results page mean and how my QCA is calculated from it.

I tried to find an explanation page but I couldnt. Thats 1 of the problems with UL nearly everything you need to know about how systems etc. work in the college you find out through rumours and as a result its not always accurate!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Give a look at this. Page 24 has information on how you calculate you QCA.

http://www.ul.ie/studentacademicadmin/files/Student%20Handbook%202007-8.pdf

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Thanks for that. I think I have a fair idea of whats going on now. Im just wondering is there a page somewhere that I can view a list of the modules I have next year and how many credits I will be getting for the.

Also does anybody have any idea how many credits are for an FYP usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Nutty wrote:

The information in the prospectus only lists the modules that you'll be doing and not the credits that each module has. From what I remember once you've registered the Student Information website will list the modules you're doing and the credits available for each one of them. In Computer Systems most if not all of our modules were worth 3 credits aside from the Pass/Fail modules.

Our FYP was worth 10 credits in total and split into 2 modules. 5 credits for the first semester and logically enough 5 for the 2nd semester. I'm not sure if that's any help to you given that it's to do with Computer Systems and it may vary depending on what course you're doing.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

rmacm wrote:
    The information in the prospectus only lists the modules that you'll be doing and not the credits that each module has. From what I remember once you've registered the Student Information website will list the modules you're doing and the credits available for each one of them.
    Indeed. There are people doing different courses but the same taught modules with different credits for the same module. Obviously that's a bit nuts but it's the way it currently is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

rmacm wrote:
    Our FYP was worth 10 credits in total and split into 2 modules. 5 credits for the first semester and logically enough 5 for the 2nd semester. I'm not sure if that's any help to you given that it's to do with Computer Systems and it may vary depending on what course you're doing.

Cheers
    Rory

They changed it from 3 when we left and everyone said you put so much effort into it and dont get the credit for it..

Remember doing a demo day presentation and heading in to give PISE presentation worth the same amount even tho the time spent on each was completely different.

So remember when you leave and give in your feedback forms remember to tell them if something needs to be changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Hi all,

A fourth year here, just got my final results and am over the moon, but haven't a clue really how to turn those into a QCA. Could anyone provide some foolproof step by step instructions on how to calculate it, I've looked at UL's calculator page but frankly it's more confusing than anything else!

Thanks in advance :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

Hi all,
    Going into 4th year myself in Sept, was also curious re my QCA come end of year. I drew up a spreadsheet to allow you calculate it as per UL's formulae. You do however need to know the credit, factor, ATT Hours and Non Q hours in order to get the QCA result perfect. You can fill in your grades and modules and the spreadsheet will do everything else. I posted instructions in there too. Can't understand why UL don't have a calculator of their own on their site, if anything it would motivate some in my opinion!

**Did the spreadsheet on a mac, fingers crossed it works fine with windows, haven't tested it out on another OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Busyness1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Going into 4th year myself in Sept, was also curious re my QCA come end of year. I drew up a spreadsheet to allow you calculate it as per UL's formulae. You do however need to know the credit, factor, ATT Hours and Non Q hours in order to get the QCA result perfect. You can fill in your grades and modules and the spreadsheet will do everything else. I posted instructions in there too. Can't understand why UL don't have a calculator of their own on their site, if anything it would motivate some in my opinion!

**Did the spreadsheet on a mac, fingers crossed it works fine with windows, haven't tested it out on another OS.

Wow thanks for that! :)

Advertisement