Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Driving Instructor in Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Richie Moran. Bridge Driving School. He's easily the best in KK. I had like 4 lessons with him, passed first time. Sound fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

ergonomics wrote:
    I went with Ormonde School of motoring first, had Stuart.
    Took lessons with him. Failed the test.

My first lesson was with Larry O' Neill, but I think he's retired, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My first instructor passed away a few years ago. Patsy Hogan was his name, and he ran the Castle School of Motoring. He was fantastic, seeing as I was (and still am) almost hysterical when it comes to my fear of driving. I had a lesson with Stuart Butler recently and found him really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

ergonomics wrote: »
    After that I went to Sharon who told me the a set of traffic lights was a pedestrian crossing and I was always to give way to pedestrians.

I wish more people would learn that. I can't tell you how many times I've nearly been run over by drivers while trying to cross John Street.

I've seen Sharon nearly cause an accident at the parade, so I wouldnt trust her.

I would concur with John 1, in that I wish motorists would know a pedestrian crossing when they see one - the one at Rose Inn street is a problem one at the moment. I've nearly been run over on numerous occasions there.

• Advertisement

Nightwish wrote: »
    I've seen Sharon nearly cause an accident at the parade, so I wouldnt trust her.

What happened? Usually she's very good.
    I would concur with John 1, in that I wish motorists would know a pedestrian crossing when they see one - the one at Rose Inn street is a problem one at the moment. I've nearly been run over on numerous occasions there.

The one by Power News is the one where I've nearly been killed at. I can't tell you how many times I've been half way across and some asshole want to gun it and almost hit and then they nerve to act like I was in the wrong for trying to cross the street. I tell you there are some asshole drivers out there that should be thanking God every Sunday that I don't own a gun.

She was out in the middle of the parade turning right onto High st and she was just out too far. About a foot away from the traffic stopped at the end of patrick st. She hadnt enough room to turn and the traffic behind her were undertaking her and she almost reversed into someone, not to mention nearly hit the person in front of her.

The one on John st is bad too. In fact I cant think of one crossing in the city centre, I havent nearly been killed on.

Nightwish wrote: »
    She was out in the middle of the parade turning right onto High st and she was just out too far. About a foot away from the traffic stopped at the end of patrick st. She hadnt enough room to turn and the traffic behind her were undertaking her and she almost reversed into someone, not to mention nearly hit the person in front of her.

Wow. Sharon is slipping. Usually she's quick calling one her students on something like that.
    The one on John st is bad too. In fact I cant think of one crossing in the city centre, I havent nearly been killed on.

We should start a support group. The " I was nearly killed trying to cross the street at the actual crossings." I've had my life flash before my eyes so many times I lost count. I think my chances of surviving the War in Iraq is better than trying to cross the street here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Just got my lisence today. Does someone have the number of your one that does it for €20 an hour, I dont care if she is **** or good, I need someone cheap ASAP.*

*Its driving lessons by the way.....

Plug wrote: »
    Just got my lisence today. Does someone have the number of your one that does it for €20 an hour, I dont care if she is **** or good, I need someone cheap ASAP.*

*Its driving lessons by the way.....

I don't think you'll find any instructors for €20 anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 clickclick

Ive seen a car going around called Drivemaster and their €25, dont have a number for them sorry. hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blueyez

I moved to Callan, kilkenny last year and was looking for a driving instructor.i paid 28-30e for a hour lesson in dublin city and was surprised to get quoted 35-40e/hr.I thought it would be cheaper.I have rang a few in Callan and they charge as above.Does anyone know of a good instructor that charges 25-30e/hr that does house pick ups out here.I rang one girl but she doesnt do pick ups and as i dont drive its impossible to get into kilkenny to her.Any one with suggestions or had a similar situtation.
    much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

Plug wrote: »

Sorry, but if you want someone ''cheap'' and don't care if they're good BURN YOUR LICENCE NOW! You don't deserve to be on the road. Having a car is a privilege, not a right and its very expensive to keep a car on the road. If you don't care if they're any good you'll spend more money in the long run and pick up bad habits along the way. By the way, imo Billy Drennan is the best out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blueyez

Wax,i think thats a little harsh.I know personally i want a ggod instructor,not just any ole eijit!!! But in the current economic situation paying 45/hr is just scandlous.i had a very good instructor in dublin for 28/hr.I know for myself i havent been driving for a long time,so i will need at least another 10 lessons and to do my test.That doesnt come cheap.
    So you can understand people not wanting to pay over the odds for lessons.I wouldnt necessarily say its a privilige but a necessity for me to get to dublin to work every week.So i think looking for someone whos charges 25-35e/hr is not unacceptable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

Blueyez wrote: »
    I moved to Callan, kilkenny last year and was looking for a driving instructor.i paid 28-30e for a hour lesson in dublin city and was surprised to get quoted 35-40e/hr.I thought it would be cheaper.I have rang a few in Callan and they charge as above.Does anyone know of a good instructor that charges 25-30e/hr that does house pick ups out here.I rang one girl but she doesnt do pick ups and as i dont drive its impossible to get into kilkenny to her.Any one with suggestions or had a similar situtation.
    much appreciated.

I live in Callan and you can easily get a bus from Callan to Kilkenny for lessons. Bus Eireann and JJ Kavanagh both do scheduled services from to Callan to Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mezzdon

Rathigan driving instructor... aka Eamon...Best driving instructor ever and is only €30 ph but if you book 10 lessons then he only charges €25... I mean if he can get me driving (a blind person with no hands would have been better then me when I started) he can get anyone driving.. totally calm and just brilliant at explaining things... I'm flying now and really confident about my test coming up.... really really recommend him! Would never recommend Sharon, I took a lesson with her a year and a half ago and she brought me into town on my first lesson and took a phone call at a junction so I got out of the car and told her where to go. She put me off driving for a year and a half. I have heard of her just telling people to stop driving all together that they wouldn't pass their test, what kind of an instructor is that!!!!!!!!:mad: PM me if you want Eamons number, honestly he is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 catratbat

I can think of 5 people off the top my head (including myself) who had lessons and pre-test with Sharon Hennesey. We all passed first time round. She's very thorough and very 'on-the-level', sound as well.

I've heard that a lot of the boy-racers go to her as she's the only one who can get them passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

catratbat wrote: »

I've heard that a lot of the boy-racers go to her as she's the only one who can get them passed.

Thats not exactly a good thing especially if she's the only one that can get them passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mezzdon

catratbat wrote: »
    I can think of 5 people off the top my head (including myself) who had lessons and pre-test with Sharon Hennesey. We all passed first time round. She's very thorough and very 'on-the-level', sound as well.

And they all still drive like spastics... It's not just about passing your test, it's about driving properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

mezzdon wrote: »
    It's not just about passing your test, it's about driving properly.

If that were the case you could then take 3/4 of the drivers on our roads off the road right now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 guessing_game

Got one for you guys actually, Currently to get a really good job I need to get a full license, now me being stupid and arrogant sell's his car get's ready to move (Emigrate) before I found this out, do any of you guys know if you can take your full driving license test in an instructors car?
    Because I heard this to be true, but I think its just a rumour and now I'm kinda stuck.. lol

That you.
    G_G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Got one for you guys actually, Currently to get a really good job I need to get a full license, now me being stupid and arrogant sell's his car get's ready to move (Emigrate) before I found this out, do any of you guys know if you can take your full driving license test in an instructors car?
    Because I heard this to be true, but I think its just a rumour and now I'm kinda stuck.. lol

That you.
    G_G

Yes you can take it in the testers car, as long as thats the car you applied for the test in.

I.e when booking it you put in that licence plate number on the application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 guessing_game

Nice1 Oak5548... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Richie Moran

Tel: 086-8236352 | Mob: 086-8236352

Taught my wife and she passed second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Took my lessons with Pat Walsh (drivewell driving school ) think he still uses a red kia picanto .
    He is v v good imo, really patient and puts u at ease and does many pre tests to lessen the nerves on d test day
    Def rec him 10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hobbitman

kleefarr wrote: »
    Richie Moran

Tel: 086-8236352 | Mob: 086-8236352

Taught my wife and she passed second time.

how much does Richie charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Was €20 ph when my wife was learning. That was 3 years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Think Richie had a deal €300 for 12 lessons last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

Gary Whelan Driving School

Mobile: 086 163 5233 Mobile: 086 163 5233

Excellent driving instructor with good rates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hobbitman

kleefarr wrote: »
    Was €20 ph when my wife was learning. That was 3 years ago though.

I rang him, it's €30 a lesson which is good as I heard he's the best

Advertisement