Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

K4

• 29-08-2007 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

They say D4 Heads want to be Californian, while K4 Heads want to be D4.

What are you're thoughts on the K4 phenom? Surely we all know someone who speaks with an American accent despite living in Newbridge or somewhere else in Kildare all they're lives?

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

LOL, first I have heard of this.....

Does this K4 refer to a specific area in Kildare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Really, Naas is probably the most K4 area of them all, with Newbridge coming a close second. But K4 is not so much an address as it is a state of mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'd say Celbridge and Maynooth are more K4?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Agreed, there's a bit of it in Maynooth all right, Clare!

Totally loike ;)

• Advertisement

Hmmm...I'm actually doing a bit of an article on this so pleae tell me more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

There are groups of teens all over the country imitating OC accents the last few years. I don't think it's really just a Kildare phenomenon.

However, the yummy mummies who lunch and drive 4x4's seem to be spreading in Kildare!

But Kildare folk are the only ones who can pull it off as they are without bog-man accents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

@ the flananator

Post the blog, you know you want to ;) or are ya waiting for a more opportune moment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

When my brother lived in Clane he played golf in Kilkee. He overheard "the wives" talking about living in K4 which, given the location, I presume was the Castledermot area.

• Advertisement

I would have thought that the most 'K4ish' areas would be, Straffan, Two-Mile-House, and similar small village areas.
    Also any areas near an 'exclusive' golf club, e.g. the Houses on Killerig GC, or near Millicent etc.

I suppose an example of this was naming a small housing development 'Straffan Way'. This development is about 500m from the centre of Sallins and about 7Kms from Straffan. I think the developer reckoned he could ask for more money as long as Straffan was in the name ????

Noted. Keep it coming! The more info/dirt the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

I have heard one or two people say "K4" too. The people saying it were from the Donadea area. Yes they drive big 4x4's and are lucky to be filty rich (asset rich anyways) in terms of having loads of land inherited from their farming grandparents.

I laugh in my head when I hear them say it. They are deadly serious too. An unfortunate side effect of "New Ireland".

qwytre wrote:
    I have heard one or two people say "K4" too. The people saying it were from the Donadea area. Yes they drive big 4x4's and are lucky to be filty rich (asset rich anyways) in terms of having loads of land inherited from their farming grandparents.

I laugh in my head when I hear them say it. They are deadly serious too. An unfortunate side effect of "New Ireland".

And in what context were they saying "K4"?

And in what context were they saying "K4"?

It was just like "oh, that wouldn't happen in K4." and things like that.

If they talk about anything that relates to where they live they just reference by saying "K4". I suppose they dont always say it in a serious way, sometimes tongue and chick, but you know well they want people to see them as being rich, living in an "exclusive" area and are generally privileged.

Right thanks. And typically, where do these people golf/gym/send their kids to school?

Right thanks. And typically, where do these people golf/gym/send their kids to school?

Actually I dont know, I am not from the area. I'd imagine the same places as everyone else. I am not aware of K4 member only golf clubs/GYMs/Schools ;)

Try The K Club/Kilashee/Clongowes.

Try The K Club/Kilashee/Clongowes.

The people I have heard say "K4" are not even those kind of people. They aspire to be, but are not. I think thats the whole point of "K4", aspirations to be proper upper D4 class.

qwytre wrote:
    The people I have heard say "K4" are not even those kind of people. They aspire to be, but are not. I think thats the whole point of "K4", aspirations to be proper upper D4 class.

Right you are. In that case try Cill Dara Golf Club/The Stand House/Newbridge College!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

prospect wrote:
    I would have thought that the most 'K4ish' areas would be, Straffan, Two-Mile-House, and similar small village areas.
    Also any areas near an 'exclusive' golf club, e.g. the Houses on Killerig GC, or near Millicent etc.

I suppose an example of this was naming a small housing development 'Straffan Way'. This development is about 500m from the centre of Sallins and about 7Kms from Straffan. I think the developer reckoned he could ask for more money as long as Straffan was in the name ????

Isn't there a Straffan Way in Maynooth too? Probably the same idea? Lots of these D4 types seem to be moving to Kildare anyway....look at some of the houses in Straffan!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Yep, Straffan is filthy rich!

Horsey central.

What makes Maynooth K4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

What makes Maynooth K4?

Nothing, just take a walk down old greenfield and see how "K4" Maynooth is!

I think the K4 thing is a load of bull****. Its used by blowins in the Kildare area to try and aspire to be something they're not. They are trying to cash in on the reputation of certain areas of the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

What makes Maynooth K4?

I live in Maynooth and have to say I don't think it is at all. Maynooth and Celbridge have a lot of teenagers doing the blonde hair "oh my Gawd that's hot" but most I knew grew out of it anyway! They don't really have the rich yummy mummy types. I definitely think it's centered around the Straffan area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

I definitely think it's centered around the Straffan area

I agree, its centered AROUND Straffan, but not in it, being from Straffan myself!

Locals in Straffan think the K4 thing is a load of balls and are proud to be from Straffan in Kildare, not Straffan, west of Dublin.

The same goes for the recent influx of people to the area. If they wanted to buy a house in D4 they could afford it because houses in Straffan are more overpriced than houses in D4.

I think its blowins from areas like Naas, Newbridge, and to a lesser extent Clane, that could not afford houses in the areas that have a posh rep (like Straffan or D4), that want the areas they have moved into to get this K4 label.

People i know that have lived in Naas all there lives take the same line as the locals from Straffan, however the new people that have moved into the area just want it to be something it's not.

JuJuYNWA wrote:
    I agree, its centered AROUND Straffan, but not in it, being from Straffan myself!

Locals in Straffan think the K4 thing is a load of balls and are proud to be from Straffan in Kildare, not Straffan, west of Dublin.

The same goes for the recent influx of people to the area. If they wanted to buy a house in D4 they could afford it because houses in Straffan are more overpriced than houses in D4.

I think its blowins from areas like Naas, Newbridge, and to a lesser extent Clane, that could not afford houses in the areas that have a posh rep (like Straffan or D4), that want the areas they have moved into to get this K4 label.

People i know that have lived in Naas all there lives take the same line as the locals from Straffan, however the new people that have moved into the area just want it to be something it's not.

I agree, and I should have stated earlier that (what I interpret to be) the K4 syndrome seems to be only amongst people who recently moved to Kildare.

I work in Dublin, and guys who move out of the city to Kildare like to talk about it alot, even to me (a resident in Kildare for many years), like they are bragging or something! I am just looking at them wondering if they think they are impressing me or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

A large proportion of Naas people have had that "south soide accent roight" for years. Ye can't tell most of them they're not just severe south siders.

I used to deliver around the Naas area and the amount of wannabe orses is ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

People living in Co.Wicklow, Bray for example have that accent too though. It's not just a Kildare/Naas thing. It is annoying though. It sounds so false!

Advertisement