Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

K4

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I'd reckon it's a country wide phenomon of people with notions! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 buckie

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Yep, Straffan is filthy rich!

i wouldnt say they are filthy rich, more so just working to keep the bank manager happy and to keep up with all the neighbours.

but maynooth K4 have you heard them talk more like finglas, ballymun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

hhmmm I would've thought the D4 accent thing came from the towns/villages closer to the south side of Dublin like Leixlip etc. rather than places such as Naas. So many Leixlip people seem to think they are actually from Dublin and not Kildare. Is that a wannabe thing too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Passenger wrote: »
    I would've thought the D4 accent thing came from the towns/villages closer to the south side of Dublin like Leixlip etc ... So many Leixlip people seem to think they are actually from Dublin and not Kildare. Is that a wannabe thing too?
    Geography aside, Leixlip is far closer to North Dublin than South Dublin imo! The only "Dublin" accents I hear from Leixlip people is the skanger accent they put on to look hard on the 66 to Liffey Valley. I don't think I've ever heard anyone putting on a posh accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ibid wrote: »
    When my brother lived in Clane he played golf in Kilkee. He overheard "the wives" talking about living in K4 which, given the location, I presume was the Castledermot area.
    qwytre wrote: »
    I have heard one or two people say "K4" too. The people saying it were from the Donadea area. Yes they drive big 4x4's and are lucky to be filty rich (asset rich anyways) in terms of having loads of land inherited from their farming grandparents.

I laugh in my head when I hear them say it. They are deadly serious too. An unfortunate side effect of "New Ireland".
    This is the funniest thing I've heard in years.

dame wrote: »
    People living in Co.Wicklow, Bray for example have that accent too though. It's not just a Kildare/Naas thing. It is annoying though. It sounds so false!
    Someone from Bray posted in AH the other day and called themself a Southsider. This also gave me a laugh.

Passenger wrote: »
    hhmmm I would've thought the D4 accent thing came from the towns/villages closer to the south side of Dublin like Leixlip etc. rather than places such as Naas. So many Leixlip people seem to think they are actually from Dublin and not Kildare. Is that a wannabe thing too?

Like Ibid said, you would be more likely to hear skanger accents in Leixlip.
    I have heard a few put-on posh ones too though. Not that many though, and it seems to be limited to people who have just started college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Isn't the K4 thing just a play on words? Like B4 in Ballymore eustace, an area rolling behind Ballymore with some MASSIVE house and extremely wealthy families. I wouldn't consider it a phenomenon, just word play, and I'm sure people who aren't actually from the areas use the words far more than those that actually live there.

except the odd nob or two like.

but you'll always get those.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Kids and teenagers who wear Their collars up and mince about "Torkin about Heino" aren't from rich areas or assumed rich areas, they're EVERYWHERE, blame the OC and Ross o Carroll kelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Just listen to any group of 1st year students in UCD or TCD or DCU or anywhere, from Mayo or Leitrim or wherever, barely in Dublin a wet week and they already have the accent. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

K4, a new one on me and very funny

I have lived in Kildare for about 7 years now (moved from Dub) and I just presumed that they were all culchies and bog savages down here and anyone with a horse was a knacker, albeit some fairly rich knackers.:)

Now I find they all have ideas about themselves, bloody hell I thought I left all that Sh*te behind in the city.:eek:

Advertisement