Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door - Timber or uPVC?

Options
  • 29-08-2007 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

In the process of deciding what type of front door to buy, we are getting conflicting advice on the advantages/disadvantages of timber versus uPVC.

For example we have been told that a timber front door needs to be sanded and varnished every year and is prone to shrinking, warping etc; but on the plus side it looks much better than a uPVC front door and less prone to scratches.

We have found a wine coloured heavy uPVC front door in Senator's showroom that looks the part with some glass in it but still undecided on whether to go with timber or uPVC.

any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

jconn wrote:
    In the process of deciding what type of front door to buy, we are getting conflicting advice on the advantages/disadvantages of timber versus uPVC.

For example we have been told that a timber front door needs to be sanded and varnished every year and is prone to shrinking, warping etc; but on the plus side it looks much better than a uPVC front door and less prone to scratches.

We have found a wine coloured heavy uPVC front door in Senator's showroom that looks the part with some glass in it but still undecided on whether to go with timber or uPVC.

any advice?

depnds on what else is around the estate.

IMO the locking mechs on pvc doors are not up to scratch. u cant fit propoer 5 lever mortice locks in addition to the ordinary locks.

my neighbour got a new 'member of Seanad Éireann' door which was jemmied with a garden fork, they are just not as rigid as timber

on maintenance, we have an oroca hall door for 15 years and all it needs is a coat of sadolins every 5 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ircoha wrote:
    depnds on what else is around the estate.

IMO the locking mechs on pvc doors are not up to scratch. u cant fit propoer 5 lever mortice locks in addition to the ordinary locks.
    But the PVC doors have something like 8 different locking points?

How do you find the fit on your timber door, is it draught proof?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I won't claim to be an expert on the merits or demerits of timber vs pvc, all I can offer is the benefit of my own experience. I moved into a new house two years ago and am currently on my fourth timber door. Luckily enough I have had them all replaced f.o.c., but if I had to decide myself, I'd definitely go for pvc which I had for twenty years in my last house with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

GreeBo wrote:
    But the PVC doors have something like 8 different locking points?

How do you find the fit on your timber door, is it draught proof?

cheers

draft excluders : they were machined in at manufacture stage and I then added good quality strips.

Having siad that the door is north facing so sees little sun to heat/shrink/warp it

The door is a double skinned TGV door, overall thickness is 70mm so is a beast with 4 by 6" brass hinges: I had it custom made.

It is not 100% draft proof like a pvc one would be: there is a bit at the bottom when v windy.

re the pvc doors they are a bit flexible and what happened my neighbou=r was that there was enough give to pop the fasteners

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Personally, I'd opt for a timber door - they just look so much better. They are more maintenance, but worth it, imo.

@irocha: That's a beast of a door alright! 70mm :eek: What does it weigh?

• Advertisement
Advertisement