Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Nugent WTF?

• 29-08-2007 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Is anybody else scratching their heads at the prospect of Nugent being sold to Derby just 5 weeks after signing for Pompey :confused:

Supposedley a few clubs were mad to get him over the summer (Obviously Sunderland were one) but he opted for Pompey, now after a few weeks and 1 goal only to his name against a team 2 divisions below and he's being sold again :eek:

This guy was hailed as the next big thing in English soccer and apparently has huge potential at 21 but Harry seems to have lost it with him already and hes going to be sold on for pretty much the same money he was bought for only a few weeks ago to a team that in all probability will be playing in the championship next season...I mean....WTF !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

His missus doesn't like the shopping in Portsmouth either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

zabbo wrote:
    His missus doesn't like the shopping in Portsmouth either.
    Now, to be fair it's not as good as Dundrum, but it's probably better than Sunderland:D

If you read the interview with redknapp, he was talking about anyone can leave if the offer is right and they want to go, although the question was about Nugent. He also said something like sometimes you have to free up cash etc. Most of which, to those that know and love/hate Arry, is very typical wheeler dealer Harry "Bare Bones" Redknapp.

The rumour mill has just gone radio rental though, we are now selling players to free up cash for

Defoe
    Sean Wright Phillips
    Adriano
    Anelka
    Henry

(OK, I made the last one up:p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i guess harry might get a little luck penny from each deal as well, crazy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

pretty sure that Harry said when asked, that they were a million miles from Anelka and it didnt look like a deal could be done but that he was looking at bringing in a big name striker. I personally think they are going to make a bid for Peter Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Nugent must be so low right now. when the manager doesn't support you how is he expected to play well for him. tough break for the lad if he end up at Derby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Derby themselves are offloading Rob Earnshaw to Charlton only 2 months after signing him themselves. They'll def be in for nugent anyway - fooked strikerwise.

jobonar wrote:
    Nugent must be so low right now. when the manager doesn't support you how is he expected to play well for him. tough break for the lad if he end up at Derby.
    We only hear what is said publicly. Redknapp has been after Nugent for long time so I can;t see him giving him away this quickly.

I think it is more likely that Gary O'Neil or Matty Taylor are on their way out, Spuds have offered £5m for taylor apparantly and Boro are after O'Neil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i dont know..if its a striker they're after, then surely one has to leave. They have Utaka, Kanu, Benjani and Nugent, all of whom will expect a fair amount of playing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

id say its because he is shíte

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

event wrote:
    id say its because he is shíte

I agree. How the hell anyone thought he was worth more than £2m is beyond me and even that is pushing it. Good Championship player, that's it. There were far better players in the Championship last season than Nugent. For once Harry got it very wrong with this deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Have to disagree. He's only 22 and has a lot of potential. I would be amazed if he doesn't make it at Premiership level over the next couple of years.
    He hasn't been given a chance at Portsmouth yet...very strange:confused:

Kingp35 wrote:
    I agree. How the hell anyone thought he was worth more than £2m is beyond me and even that is pushing it. Good Championship player, that's it. There were far better players in the Championship last season than Nugent. For once Harry got it very wrong with this deal.
    There are a lot of transfers this season that amaze me. fees seem to have gone mad. Don't forget, It wasn't just Pompey who were after him at that price.

That said, although I haven't been yet this season, we paid not much more for Utaka and he is apparantly a different class entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea he looks like a super player alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

SSN just say Nugent has declared he's staying at Pompey. Weird stuff.

Savman wrote:
    SSN just say Nugent has declared he's staying at Pompey. Weird stuff.
    Good.

He is around some pretty good forwards in Utaka, Kanu and Benjani. I'm pretty sure he wasn't expecting to set the premiership alight in his first month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

~Rebel~ wrote:
    i dont know..if its a striker they're after, then surely one has to leave. They have Utaka, Kanu, Benjani and Nugent, all of whom will expect a fair amount of playing time.
    Utaka's playing on the wing I think.

Kinda off topic but what a tough start this season for Pompey. They have Arsenal and Liverpool in their next 2 games after already playing Man Utd and Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

if Nugent isn't wanted now by Harry and Pompey he should get the hell out of there while he has the chance, i think he is a smashing footballer with bucket loads of potential and he is at the ideal the age now to go out there and prove himself at the top level, if it means joining Derby in a relegation dogfight but where he will be wanted and will get games then so be it. i wish him luck with whatever he does.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Utaka's playing on the wing I think.

Kinda off topic but what a tough start this season for Pompey. They have Arsenal and Liverpool in their next 2 games after already playing Man Utd and Chelsea.

first six games,

Derby Away
    Man U home
    Bolton Home
    Chelsea away
    Arsenal Away
    Liverpool home.

We have 5 point already this season. Three more than I expected from our first six games tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm a Pompey fan too, just for this season. ;) Have that handicap bet on them. €1,600 if it wins.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm a Pompey fan too, just for this season. ;) Have that handicap bet on them. €1,600 if it wins.

Good man. I'll let you buy me a drink if you win:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement