Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chinese food

• 29-08-2007 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

I know individual tastes are different but what meal in a takeaway chinese does everyone think you just cant go wrong with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

can never really go wrong With Chow Mein i dont think. only main thing that could be different is the Greasiness of the Noodles i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Sweet & Sour Chicken.
    Chicken Curry.
    Beef w Black Bean sauce.

Basically any of the simple Uncle Ben style dishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Spling rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

3 in 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

beef in black pepper sauce ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'd say chicken curry and chicken chow mein are the most consistent.

The sweet n sours - sometimes they use boiled meat, sometimes fried, sometimes battered - and if you don't like one you could be disappointd. Chinese currys are very specific in how they're made and they're usually pretty similar because they all buy the sauces pastes wholesale from the main manufacturers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Have always found the prawn crackers to be the same in every chinese I have ever been to.:D

Also the crispy shredded beef in chilli sauce - except I am sure that the universally complete absence of beef in this dish should fall under the Trade Descriptions Act.

The Chinese beef curry is about as generic a dish as exists in any cuisine.

Fry large chunks of onion
    Add thinly cut steak
    Curry concentrate (Wing Yip do a good one)
    Some water
    Peas

Cook until a thick gravy is made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It all varies from chinese to chinese. Some have greasy noodles, and others don't. Some use MSG like its going out of fashion and others don't.

It's hard to get bad crispy duck though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Chinese currys are very specific in how they're made and they're usually pretty similar because they all buy the sauces pastes wholesale from the main manufacturers...
    No they don't. They usually make a big batch of the paste themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

The sweet n sours - sometimes they use boiled meat, sometimes fried, sometimes battered - and if you don't like one you could be disappointd.

True story! I've been left disappointed many a time!!! :mad:

I'd just go with a curry if i was going to a chinese i wasn't familiar with!

From my local I always get Swechan(sp) chicken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Beef or Chicken in Black Bean Sauce........... so damn tasty. Have any of you boardsies tried Hi-Lan or Hi-Lin I think it is on Capel Street. Possibly the best serving of the above dish I've ever had on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 theno8eight

Siu hon chicken is a sure winner from the right take away, sweet, yummy & delicous, its too late to order now bummer, now im hungry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 theno8eight

anyone ever get a copy of a menu directory, take away express i think its called, my mate has one for his area, i dont think they deliver to cabinteely, anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Peking duck + wraps + plum sauce = omfuggah *drool* then again, that'd be more authentic chinese food.. :( oh how i miss china..

anyway.. from the take-away? sweet+sour stuff is normally good.. uhm..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Chicken satay is the one for me...and my sister...and occasionally my mom. In fact, when my mom walks into the restaurant to pick up a take away they always know that she's there for that. One time we made an order that had no chicken satay dish on it and when she went to collect it they were all "Why no chicken satay for you today?" It got kind of embarassing...

Advertisement