Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAT testing results

Options
  • 29-08-2007 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

I don't know of any electrical forums - so here goes...

A UK based client of mine is testing a monitor for PAT testing compliance and the test is failing the FLASH test on 1250v, but passes the HIPOT (Insulation Resistance Test) on 250v and 500v.
    Under what circumstances is a Class 1 device supposed to be flash tested on 1250v?

I suspect he isn't qualified to use the PAT tester as the certs are stamped by by a hire company...

http://www.pat-testing.info/test.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

as far as i can remember a monitor should not be tested this way due to the electronics, i must dig out the information i have from the back of the van

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I did some of this testing a long time ago, we only tested electronic equipment with metal casings.

Just spoke to one of our testers and he confirmed dolittle's comments, i.e you dont flash test monitors. This has always been the case for us anyway, no flash test on electronic equipment, the guy i checked it with use to work in a Dublin hospital, and they were very strong on not flash testing electronics.

I cant see where a path could be found through a monitor with a plastic case, so it would fail a flash test IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Tell your friend he's lucky he didn't blow an internal fuse.
    Any IT equipment requires a less stringent test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Thanks guys. As I suspected he isn't trained up on the use or interpretation of the results from a PAT tester. Apparently you don't need to be 'qualified' to run PAT tests... it seems to be quite open to interpretation ...
    http://www.pat-testing.info/who.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there is a one day class in it, cost us about €1500 per man a couple of years ago, but the explosion of requests for PAT tester never happened:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement