Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats in the attic

Options
  • 29-08-2007 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey there,

hopefully there is someone out there who can help. I have bats in the attic - thousands of them. They are no problem as such and I don't want to harm them but there are wrecking my house. Windows can't be left open, they are pooing everywhere and it is getting beyone a joke. We can't invite anyone to stay because they can appear out of anywhere at any time. I had to catch three of them one evening alone and put them back outside. They don't bother me as such (eventhough I would prefer them outside) but some people refuse to come to my house because of them!

Does anyone know how to "encourage" them to find an alternative residence? I don't want to harm them so none of those suggestions please.

Has anyone ever come across this problem before?

I need help here............:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Bats have super hearing. Some noise that is beyond human hearing might make them move somewhere else. Maybe an ultrasonic pest repellant thingy or one of the ones to shut up barking dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

In Sept/Oct they will leave for a cooler roost - they're there because they've been breeding. Plug the holes after they've left.

You're not allowed "encourage" them. They're protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

One thing I can say from experience is that bats are protected under Irish and European law. Nothing can be done at all that may disturb them during certain times of the year.

We recently had to engage the advice of a bat consultant.

Might be worth a call to them as I'm sure they would be able to offer some exprt advice.

Scott Cawley are the company in question.

Paul Scott or Aebhin Cawley
    27 Lower Baggot Street
    Dublin 2
    Ireland

Tel: +353 (0)1 6769815
    Fax: +353 (0)1 6769816

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

http://www.radarcan.com/en/e-antirodents.htm

however if u have 1000's of them as u say in ur post they may not be that easy to move as I suspect they have been there for some time.

Interesting that they are protected etc and u now may need a 'bat consultant' to help

having read this http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/notifiable/rabies/q&a.htm

I would be moving them on asap: the fine is prolly 20 euro

this might help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatling_gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 T O'Donnell

Hey,

thanks to everyone for the quick response - I will try to contact that consultant dude.

I understand that they are protected and that is one reason why they I have no desire to harm them - I am, however, sick of them and would like to move them on - or stop them from getting in again.

I have tried to block holes with that aerosol foam - they chewed through it!

Maybe I should wait until October as suggested and do the whole blocking up thing again. Thanks for the other solutions - radars etc. I think that I might wait until they are ready to leave if they are willing to go on their own then that seems to be the way forward.

I am not overly bothered by them personally but they are invading the inside of my house.

thanks for everyones help - it is appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 T O'Donnell

Ircoha -

I like the gatling gun suggestion :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This might be better off in the animals & pets forum. If not appropriate there it can go to gardening & DIY.

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I understand that you cant do anything to harm them, but what about making them prefer a different place to live?

Maybe if you were to turn the heating on in your house, they wont like the heat and then move on?

I've never tried it but i'm sure a degree or 2 wont do them any harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...or ...

You try to contact the "Irish bat society" (I'm sure there is some organistaion like that) invite them to your house and charge them a tenner per head for a peek throug the trap door, two fifty for a cuppa and a fiver for a sambo while they wait their turn :D

And then ...at the end of the special protection season, let them help you to move the bats to a more suitable environement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

peasant wrote:
    ...or ...

You try to contact the "Irish bat society" (I'm sure there is some organistaion like that) invite them to your house and charge them a tenner per head for a peek throug the trap door, two fifty for a cuppa and a fiver for a sambo while they wait their turn :D

I like it, and now that the schools are back you could organise school trips, you'll make a few quid from the little'ones!

• Advertisement
Advertisement