Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with sore legs

• 29-08-2007 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im new (ish) to running and went for a short run (about 45 mins)2 nights ago. My legs were a bit sore but not that bad, today they are a bit better. I'd love to go for another run tonight but should I wait until the pain is gone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Depends what you mean by sore. If they feel stiff and just generally sore, then you are probably suffering from DOMS... Delayed Onset of Muscular Soreness. This usually happens after you do something for the first time you haven't done before (excuse the grammar). I would think a run tonight would actually be beneficial as long as your description of sore is not specific to one let or one muscle group. You could also try a hot Epsom Salts bath, or a good sports massage. Both will help with the soreness.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of running!

Domer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Thanks Domer, the soreness doesnt really bother me to be honest. I just wanted to be sure that I wasnt doing any damage. I'd rather be out running than watching TV!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

I'd rather be out running than watching TV!

That's when you know you're hooked!

As Domer said, you'll probably be doing benefit by getting out for a run today. However, it should probably be done as a "recovery run" (non-runners believe this to be an oxymoron!).

A recovery run is when you run a good bit slower than normal training pace (just above jogging speed). When done correctly, it is better than rest at improving blood flow to the muscles, thus removing waste products from the muscles and speeding up the recuperation. However, running too fast or long will eat into your glycogen stores (which if you've recently run hard may still be quite low), thus leaving you under-prepared for your next hard session.

Also important that your drinking plenty of water in the days after a hard session, as you need to get your hydration levels back up (dehydration also slows down the recuperation process).

Advertisement