Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anywhere in Dublin that does UV Blacklight tatoos?

Options
  • 29-08-2007 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine got one done in New York and I'd love to get something similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

The guys in the Abbey street Celestial Ring did mine but I bought the ink myself and brought the MSDS and a blacklight so it was easier to convince them (also probably made it quite clear how serious I was about getting one).
    If you ask them nicely they might be up for it but they probably still only have the white UV ink I left with them (they seemed quite interested in the stuff and i had ordered way more than I needed, still thinking about getting more though).

What exactly are you hoping for from it though, as the only ink that is invisible in ordinary light is the white one ("titanium white") and even that is highly dependent on your skin tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

farohar wrote:
    The guys in the Abbey street Celestial Ring did mine but I bought the ink myself and brought the MSDS and a blacklight so it was easier to convince them (also probably made it quite clear how serious I was about getting one).
    If you ask them nicely they might be up for it but they probably still only have the white UV ink I left with them (they seemed quite interested in the stuff and i had ordered way more than I needed, still thinking about getting more though).

What exactly are you hoping for from it though, as the only ink that is invisible in ordinary light is the white one ("titanium white") and even that is highly dependent on your skin tone.

Have you got pix of this? Whilst we're on the topic... How long does the UV effect last? Is it for life? I would of expected the energy or effect to wear off with time...

I'm not a mad fan of UV tattoos. Respect to those with them, but they've always seemed more of a novelty to me than anything. I'd love to see yours tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

a friend did show me one (pics he found online) that was like a celtic cross, in normal ink, but instead of it just being skin on the inside, it was all UV ink, it looked really really cool, i have to say.

Have you got pix of this? Whilst we're on the topic... How long does the UV effect last? Is it for life? I would of expected the energy or effect to wear off with time...

I'm not a mad fan of UV tattoos. Respect to those with them, but they've always seemed more of a novelty to me than anything. I'd love to see yours tho!
    Should really try take pics and post them I suppose... (might try take a normal pic of the whole thing and then just a UV pic of a part of it, that way it won't really ruin the privacy thing as: 1. I'd rather not have people ask what it means and 2. I'd rather they not simply go "cool" and then get an exact copy.)

They should last for life as it's not that the ink is generating energy, simply that when hit with high energy photons (UV) it converts them into lower energy (visible) ones, so in theory they should last as long as any other ink. Many people do seem to be squeemish about the ink as they think "oh no, it can glow, it must be radioactive! It might give cancer!" etc...

Nothing to do with the novelty for me, sure enough the people in the tattoo shop thought it was for clubbing though. As people who were around back when I started asking about them myself, and if anyone knew of somewhere that would be willing to give it a shot, might remember I was looking for a way of getting a tattoo that would be completely invisible in ordinary light, I'd know it was there but I wouldn't have to worry about it screwing up future employment and more to the point it would be entirely private. While it is still visible in ordinary light if you look, in spite of it running down to my elbow and wearing short sleeved t-shirts all "summer" (i.e. past 3-4 months) no-one has spotted it so it doesn't draw attention to itself anyway. Under UV it glows a bright blue-white colour (bit like how white things tend to look under UV).

Hoping to get another at the end of the year (which I suppose just goes to prove, that while it's not discrete enough for the purpose I'd originally in mind, I'm happy enough with the end result).

Tried take pics when I got home but was a bit rushed and I really need somewhere better to put the blacklight to get a decent glow on the ink:
    Without UV
    dsc00060up7.jpg
    With UV
    dsc00053li9.jpg

If I remember I'll try take better pics when I can take the time to do a better job.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

This has been one of those "maybe" areas for me. There are a lot of conflicting reports on the safety of the ink and the visibility in normal light and all that sorta thing, but I think your pics show that in passing it's pretty much invisible (although I'm sure a good artist is part of the reason for that).

Thanks for your post!

• Advertisement

Well firstly as I've already said it depends on skin tone, secondly I think the difficulty I was having of getting good pics may be making it more difficult to spot but if you look you will see it (maybe need to set the camera on a timer, doesn't seem to like that range for focusing).
    It just shows as discoloured skin almost like dark scar tissue, so if you don't get it in too obvious a location and don't have it too big it should go unnoticed. So for discrete text tattoos I'd say it should definitely work, for anything larger I'm honestly not sure how unnoticable it'd be...
    Never got any work done in normal white ink so I can't say how the two would compare in terms of hidden tattoos.

Also the thing to remember here is that this ONLY WORKS WITH THE TITANIUM WHITE UV INK, all the others are fully visible in daylight but just change colour slightly and glow under UV.
    As for safety; best part of a year and I've had no reactions to it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I've been thinking for a while about getting UV but decided to put it off after conflicting reports on safety and quality of UV inks. Can you point me in the direction of what info you looked at? I'd like to see where the manufacturers are with their ink-developments.

The maker's website has some detail on it:
    http://www.crazychameleon.net/black-light-tattoo-ink.html

And when you buy the ink you get a MSDS with it.

Advertisement