Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ucc Victoria Lodge

• 29-08-2007 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm a first year student this year at ucc, I know i have my place at victoria lodge and i paid my deposit and all but i've heard nothing at all lately from them. Has anyone any rough idea as to when we would be moving in and what not?... I'd say we're surely due an email or letter with some info soon but i am just far too impatient...

Any info would be much appreciated.. Thanking you..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

You'll probably be moving in next January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 WonderGirl

well thanks anyway.. are ya trying to imply that i'm gonna be moving in pretty late is it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

I just passed their this morning, there was some building work going on. Usually people would move in around the 20th but they have a number just ring it to find out. You will have to have moved in by the 24th and I think UCC have a list of B&B's in the Western road area( there's a lot) for the Orientation/Registration Week starting from the 17th September

Sorry I can't be of more help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RobbieH

They emailed me on the 26th of July saying, "As the Academic year 2007/2008 is approaching, the Lease Agreement with the payment break down will be sent via email from 13th August 2007 onwards." That didn't happen so I emailed them last week (22nd) and the reply said, "Thank you for your email. Due to a changeover in our computer systems we were unable to send out the lease agreements and payment details on time. We hope to do so via email in the next few days. Upon receipt of that email, you will have 10 days in which to make the payment." I still haven't heard from them though.

Thanks for that..I got the same email in July but i also never heard anything since...hmmmmm, the buliding site now doesn't sound so good!!! Thanks for the b+b's advice, i'm actually really only worried because i'm heading to the rugby world cup soon and wont be back till the morning i start on the 24th i think,so i wanted to be moved in and what not before hand! Well hopefully we'll of heard something by the end of the week if not i'll ring like you said.

Thanks for the help and if ya hear anything else about it sure let me know..:)

P.S do you know what the chances are at all of getting to live with the friend you mentioned when applying a few months ago are in voctoria lodge? much appreciated...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 LLouise

Email just arrived today from vic lodge asking me to ring them confirming accomodation and telling me that i got a single ensuite room:D :D

are you serious? this is ridiculous.... i got no such email and the web page said we'd be moving in around the 5th of september.. thats a few days away and i have still heard nothing.... uck..how irritating...i shall have to ring them now... did your email say when you would be moving in at all???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RobbieH

I also got the email (finally). Says we can move in anytime from the 5th onwards.

ya..i rang today asking what the hell was going on like and then within five mins of me hanging up the phone i had an email from them... the same one ye're on about!!!but i still dont know if i'm living with my friends or anything and when i tried the link in the email to pay by credit card it gave trouble, you know the section that comes up after ya put in the reference number and email???...with the details and what not well i go to click confirm to continue and this big thing comes...
    ERROR 508-Insufficient amount specified. Please contact the merchant.
    Anyone else experience that problem at all??? i rang the office and the woman was like.."sorry i dont know about any errors"..i was like WTF COULD YOU BE ANY MORE HELPFUL LIKE...NOT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sorry for dragging this thread up but im kind of were you guys were at last year.

I booked my accomodation and rang them the other day asking me about confirmation and they said that the transaction number was my confirmation, just thought that was a bit weird.

So whats this place like, good condition? fast broadand etc?
    are the apartments mixed? (not asking that in a weird way but just curious)

• Advertisement

It's pretty nice, most apartments are single sex but a few are mixed mostly because they were filled at the last minute. Broadband is at an ok speed but isn't wireless which is a real pain but overall its a pretty cool place... except for the fire alarms, they're just plain headwrecking!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

Is it like way 2 l8 to apply for a place??

Ya been booked out for well over a month,

Drove down to cork airport yesterday and checked it out on the way back

Seemed to be a good few parking spaces around the place so considering buying a car If I go there, reception was closed but took a look round the place, looked very nice but didnt like the distance from campus. Ah well its booked now.

Thanks for the info Llouise,
    one last question about the internet
    is things like msn messnger blocked and torrent files would ya know

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think it's UCC Campus internet so MSN Messenger would work but not torrents

Ya I knew it was a long shot for torrents. thanks mate
    msn is perfect anyway

Oh sorry forgot to ask, I Know its about a 10min walk to the univeristy and was wondering if their's regular bus services from victoria lodge to the ucc main campus?

Technically there is but it's not much use as it will only drop you as far as the western road entrance, still leaving you with a 7.5 minute walk to the campus. Bit of a waste of €1.45 if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ejvilla

7.5 minutes from western road to the campus???

Unless you walk at a snails pace it shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 minutes to get from victoria cross to the quad. I used to live there and regularly got out of bed at 8:50 making it in for 9 on the dot.
    LLouise wrote: »
    Technically there is but it's not much use as it will only drop you as far as the western road entrance, still leaving you with a 7.5 minute walk to the campus. Bit of a waste of €1.45 if you ask me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

a bus!!?? you'd spend way more time waiting for the bus than making the ten minute journey on foot.. getting a bus from vic lodge to campus is laughable to be honest!! its really not that far...

well 1huge1...all i'll say is don't take ANY **** from any of the staff right from day one...i mean if you let them get there way and shove you about for the sake of other's who have nagging parents who ring up reception twenty four seven making sure their lil babies away from home are looked after, then you'll be screwed right from the start...i shall give you a few examples...
    we went a month and a half before anyone even LOOKED at our broken fridge even though we'd complained ever day since it happened! I mean our milk was going off after 24 hours and we'd no decent food by the end of the week cos they all had to be thrown out....I got so sick and tired of hearing of other lodgers here getting their problems fixed immediately because of a nasty phone call from a parent that I rang up the company that fixes these fridges and complained that we were awaiting a worker to come look at this fridge, to WHICH they replied "we knew nothing about this problem", which proved the ****y ****ed up staff here in vic lodge didn't even DO ANYTHING about the problem after they PROMISED me that it was not their fault and that they were awaiting on a worker from the company who services these fridge's to come and look at it, that the problem was temporarily "out of their hands"...lets just say before the evening was out, not only was the fridge looked at, it was replaces and all..but if we had just been a bunch of quiet timid girls too scared to speak up for ourselves i would NOT be suprised if we were still awaiting on that worker to come look at out fridge...

i was waiting two and half months for lamp above my bed to fixed...to weekss for our sink tap to be fixed, and i'm telling ya that CONSTANT dripping was just reminding us twenty four seven of how unlucky we were...one of the rings on our cooker STILL hasn't been fixed and it was broken from the day we moved in..and i swear to god it would of been handy seeing ass there were four of us trying to cook at once sometimes...

and after all that and MORE they had the ****ing cheek to come in here and say our kitchen was a discrace and could be TIDIER JUST BECAUSE there were a few bottles in the bottle bin..i mean WHAT THE **** ELSE IS SUPPOSED to into that like..jesus christ..it wasn't like they were thrown all over the floor like....if they were as quick to look after the apartments and meet the repairs we ACTUALLY pay for under maintenance instead of giving out about a few bottles....uck...repulsing...any time anyone went down with a quiry to the workers in reception you were treated like a piece of GARBAGE on the side of the road ..sometimes they EVEN AVOIDED to look at you and stayed at their desk PRETENDING to be reading something not even acknowledging your existance......

I'd say on average there were at least 3/4 fire alarms went off during the week, each one you had to go outside and sometimes wait in the FREEZING cold for over an hour and wait for fire brigades and what not to come..this procedure was RIDICULOUS..as most of the time it was usuallly just some BURNT toast or else some ****ing idiot who tried to light up under a smoke alarm..in NO OTHER ucc accomadation does such procedings happen, i have been in 2 or 3 other accomadations nearby where they simply turn it off and when they see it was a false alarm send everyone back to bed.....whats worse is there are RIDICULOUS fines for such stupid things...picture this, an innocent young girl who is cooking and the toaster gives trouble and sets off the fire alarm during the day is charged 250 euro or more, another ****ING idiot sets it off by actually smoking carelessly and drunkinly setting off fire extinguishers fown hallways..and HE GETS FINED THE SAME AMOUNT...how is that FAIR??..

another thing, they shut the ****ing gates at like 6 every day and shut all day at weekends which means a car can't even come in to drop someone off and turn and go back out again..this is RIDICULOUS..because every sunday evening hundreds of kids get dropped back..which means there are these cars parking up on the footpaths blocking roads where there is fast cars at al times...its dangerous for starters cos getting outa the car and grabbing your bags can prove hard with the speeding traffic nearby...on one occasion i saw a young kid helping his brother with his bags and very nearly got hit, to which his mother reacted very badly and went in screaming at reception because she nearly lost her child becaue of their STUPID reasons for shutting up the gates.. i mean it is ridiculous, we are paying four and half grand????/the least we could do is get dropped in inside the gate..and you know what their reason was???"we have to shut the gates at the evening in case our wardons sneak out and don't do their job"..HOW ****ING STUPID IS THAT..i mean if they REALLY wanted to leave they could just WALK OUT LIKE EVERY OTHER HUMAN BEING..

during rag week a bike was pulled from the bike shed and thrown on top of a metal cage...no wardon removed it for over a week so the girl had to have her father come up and take it down for her, the father demanded to see the footage on cctv to see who did it but the receptionist would not let him, saing there wasn't enough camera's to see the whole place anyway...WE ARE PAYING FOR 24 HOUR SECURITY..so what ****ing good is it if we can't see damage like that being done....

we were all given card keys, but our block door had been broken since sept 5th so anyonne can enter our building..has it been fixed??/what do you think????

oh and 1huge1 if ya plan on keeping a car here then make sure to see if there is a space now..cos i left it too late and soon realised that 90% of the spaces are given to working folk nearby during the week, and a lot of vi lodge have business sub let places right at the end which ya don't see from the outside...

its such a shame there were so many problems here...because the residents themselves were so nice..i made life long friends here, so i DON'T regret coming here which i'm sure some would be suprised to hear !all i do regret is the way i acted, i should of been more forceful and known my rights first day.....don't let them walk all over you...if you have a problem make sure it gets seen to IMMEDIATELY....

otherwise its been the best year of my life ...ha ha...:)

• Advertisement

Sounds like a charming place, well the place is booked and theirs no going back now.

I will defineitly do what you said though and wont take any crap from them.

I was thinking of bringing down a car but not so sure now. Not to sure if i'd get much use out of it.

Anyway thanks for the reply. All the same I am looking forward to it. Looks like theirs some good places to eat beside it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

1huge1 wrote: »
    Sounds like a charming place, well the place is booked and theirs no going back now.

I will defineitly do what you said though and wont take any crap from them.

I was thinking of bringing down a car but not so sure now. Not to sure if i'd get much use out of it.

Anyway thanks for the reply. All the same I am looking forward to it. Looks like theirs some good places to eat beside it too.

Sounds like it has "character". :pac:

I'm not bothering with a car, I think my bike'll do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Parsley wrote: »
    Sounds like it has "character". :pac:

I'm not bothering with a car, I think my bike'll do!
    In general you won;t need a car much in Cork, apart from the odd run to Tesco/the offy/the chipper

But it does get a bit annoying if you're getting a bus home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 slayerdiabolus

In general you won;t need a car much in Cork, apart from the odd run to the the chipper

Sure theres a new one beside Centra now so its fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Robertttt

Sounds like a tip tbh! I know people living there and it doesn't seem so bad, but then again i'm not the one living here. Well i live in Farranlea Hall and all i can say is watch out for the manager/main receptionist!! Think she used work in Vic Lodge. What a bitch like?!?
    Do not cross her path.
    Its way better than Vic Lodge though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Pulsar Eagle

WonderGirl wrote: »
    well 1huge1...all i'll say is don't take ANY **** from any of the staff right from day one...i mean if you let them get there way and shove you about for the sake of other's who have nagging parents who ring up reception twenty four seven making sure their lil babies away from home are looked after, then you'll be screwed right from the start...i shall give you a few examples...
    we went a month and a half before anyone even LOOKED at our broken fridge even though we'd complained ever day since it happened! I mean our milk was going off after 24 hours and we'd no decent food by the end of the week cos they all had to be thrown out....I got so sick and tired of hearing of other lodgers here getting their problems fixed immediately because of a nasty phone call from a parent that I rang up the company that fixes these fridges and complained that we were awaiting a worker to come look at this fridge, to WHICH they replied "we knew nothing about this problem", which proved the ****y ****ed up staff here in vic lodge didn't even DO ANYTHING about the problem after they PROMISED me that it was not their fault and that they were awaiting on a worker from the company who services these fridge's to come and look at it, that the problem was temporarily "out of their hands"...lets just say before the evening was out, not only was the fridge looked at, it was replaces and all..but if we had just been a bunch of quiet timid girls too scared to speak up for ourselves i would NOT be suprised if we were still awaiting on that worker to come look at out fridge...

i was waiting two and half months for lamp above my bed to fixed...to weekss for our sink tap to be fixed, and i'm telling ya that CONSTANT dripping was just reminding us twenty four seven of how unlucky we were...one of the rings on our cooker STILL hasn't been fixed and it was broken from the day we moved in..and i swear to god it would of been handy seeing ass there were four of us trying to cook at once sometimes...

and after all that and MORE they had the ****ing cheek to come in here and say our kitchen was a discrace and could be TIDIER JUST BECAUSE there were a few bottles in the bottle bin..i mean WHAT THE **** ELSE IS SUPPOSED to into that like..jesus christ..it wasn't like they were thrown all over the floor like....if they were as quick to look after the apartments and meet the repairs we ACTUALLY pay for under maintenance instead of giving out about a few bottles....uck...repulsing...any time anyone went down with a quiry to the workers in reception you were treated like a piece of GARBAGE on the side of the road ..sometimes they EVEN AVOIDED to look at you and stayed at their desk PRETENDING to be reading something not even acknowledging your existance......

I'd say on average there were at least 3/4 fire alarms went off during the week, each one you had to go outside and sometimes wait in the FREEZING cold for over an hour and wait for fire brigades and what not to come..this procedure was RIDICULOUS..as most of the time it was usuallly just some BURNT toast or else some ****ing idiot who tried to light up under a smoke alarm..in NO OTHER ucc accomadation does such procedings happen, i have been in 2 or 3 other accomadations nearby where they simply turn it off and when they see it was a false alarm send everyone back to bed.....whats worse is there are RIDICULOUS fines for such stupid things...picture this, an innocent young girl who is cooking and the toaster gives trouble and sets off the fire alarm during the day is charged 250 euro or more, another ****ING idiot sets it off by actually smoking carelessly and drunkinly setting off fire extinguishers fown hallways..and HE GETS FINED THE SAME AMOUNT...how is that FAIR??..

another thing, they shut the ****ing gates at like 6 every day and shut all day at weekends which means a car can't even come in to drop someone off and turn :)

Great post so i take it u wer in block B so,what apt???, i would agree 100% with u on all the above stated esp the firm alarms oh my god how was anybody ever to sleep.

Advertisement