Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths / Applied Maths higher level

Options
  • 29-08-2007 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks ..
    What is a good text book for Maths higher level ?
    I hear the Aidan roantree one is a good one ?

Same question for Applied Maths ?
    I remember using one by Olliver Murphy (? i think ?)

this was some years ago.. has a new AM book being written ?

maybe by Roantree as well perhaps .. ? he was a fantastic teacher ..

can one get these books online ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Text&Texts are used in most schools and they got me a B1, but I can't speak for others. Text&Texts also have a few errors in the book, although nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

I used Aidan Roantree for my Leaving Cert and to be honest, I thought it was useless. His examples are not explained,too abstract, does not cover basics and uses little or no actual exam questions.

From my grinds, i remember the teacher saying that text & texts (is that right) was good but he always thought the Murphy book was by far the best and he's a lecturer in UCC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

the ollie murphy book is COMPLETE MATHS ??

anyone know about Applied MAths book ? is their a newer one then the Ollie murphy one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

ya there's a blue one called... Applied Maths Leaving Cert Foundation Mechanics for Third Level (at least thats wats written on the cover) by Kevin Concliffe.

Tbh i think this book is crap nd ur much better off usin the Oliver Murphy book. I'm sure this was discussed before... if u look u might find the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Oliver Murphy is applied maths, fundamental applied mathematics i think it's called...i have one here i can sell to you, if you want it just pm me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Fundamental Applied Maths is quite possible the most boring book ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

carlowboy wrote:
    Fundamental Applied Maths is quite possible the most boring book ever.

but the quotes!!!

yeah for app maths you could really just get by with the notes on skoool.ie and exam questions, but only if you were really hardcore ;)

and how does his being a UCC lecturer strengthen his opinion? to my mind, that makes him less likely to know which book is best for leaving cert...

I had texts and tests and it was fine. Really both subjects are about practise and exam questions are your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

If you're doing Applied Mathematics, then I would definitely recommend that you get this* booklet by Oliver Murphy too, which has the exam questions back as far as 1984.

*7th paragraph down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I used both Text & Tests and Oliver Murphy's maths book. I just found one topic was better done in one than the other, eg. The Circle is much better done in T&T while Integration is done better Murphy's book. Also, in general the standard of questions I and my friends found were higher in Murphy's book.

Applied Maths? Fundamental Applied Maths is an ok book but I would try to get my hands on Roantree's notes. They're excellent.

Advertisement