Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass or Electric picnic

Options
  • 29-08-2007 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hi,
    I remember watching a video of James Randi and he said he never drunk or took drugs. He said he wanted to experience the world for what it really was, whether it be good, bad or boring. I really respected that and it's something I try to do, although I like a few beers occasionaly.

Now, I have been roped into going to electric picnic this week.
    I like music, but for me all, this event is just a expensive type of p*ss up. I think if you took away the drink very few people would go. What does this say? Drink is just another crutch, just like religion. Both help people deal with insecurities.

Looking at it rationally, and not being young anymore, electric picnic has very little appeal to me. There are some tents there with some debates on but I reckon they'll be like the Joe Duffy phone show.

At least Mass is free, you don't have to get sloshed and you can get home pretty easily. You also get some uplifting music and some ancient literature read by an "expert" in the field. If you have a decent Priest / Minister you might even get a thought provoking ceremony.
    Electric Picnic, is 220 euro for a ticket and all things counted will cost 500. A few ego musicians (who also avoid rational critism) have their ego pumped up more and you will more than likely end up with a major hang over.

So what would you prefer?

Mass (free, maybe a fiver for collection basket) or Electric Picnic (500 Euro)? 9 votes

Mass
    0%
    Electric Picnic
    100%
    Zombrexpatto_chanGospelGroupieMooseJamaidan24326Nature BoyTim Robbinscolc1DanCorb 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I am going to Sunday mass with the Warlords of Pez at noon at the electric picnic.
    this event is just a expensive type of p*ss up
    Well I am going for the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Electric Picnic
    cavedave wrote:
    I am going to Sunday mass with the Warlords of Pez at noon at the electric picnic.

Well I am going for the music.
    Interesting.
    If they took away the drink would you go?
    Would you imagine many people would go if there was absolutely no drink at it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don't drink, but I would still go to the Electric Picnic.
    Can't stand mass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ehh... Electric Picnic for me if I had to choose, but I'm not really interested in either.

I would still go to Electric Picnic if there was no drink. I'd say most people would, depending on the bands that were playing (I don't know who's playing).

I don't see how Irish people's relationship with alcohol has to do with religion, or atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think if you took away the drink very few people would go. What does this say? Drink is just another crutch, just like religion. Both help people deal with insecurities.

People-who-can't-follow-a-logical-train-of-thought-say-what?

I think drink is great fun. I like having fun. Therefore, if I persue this sort of fun it is a crutch that I am using to cover my insecurities.

Like, do I actually need to explain why this makes no sense?

• Advertisement

If they took away the drink would you go?
    Would you imagine many people would go if there was absolutely no drink at it?
    On general libertarian grounds probably not. You can pry my beer from my cold dead hands.

Seriously though I regulary go to concerts sober and it is fine, I may not even drink this weekend.

What is the point of this thread? Music and dancing is the opiate of the masses? Are the fences there to keep them out or us in? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I'd rather be grated and rolled in salt than to go to either mass or the Electric picnic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

€500? How?

You're saying you'd spend €200+ on alcohol for a weekend?

In any case, you shouldn't judge things on their monetary value.

Sonic Youth, The Stooges and a handful of other good bands are playing EP, granted I'd never go to an Irish festival personally(overpriced, too short, lineups are usually better abroad), but were I to go, alcohol would definately not be the main focus. Sure, I'd drink when no bands I liked were playing and I just wanted to relax with my friends, but a music festival weekend for me is by no means primarily a piss-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I remember watching a video of James Randi and he said he never drunk or took drugs. He said he wanted to experience the world for what it really was, whether it be good, bad or boring. I really respected that and it's something I try to do, although I like a few beers occasionaly.
    What's the big deal about sobriety?

When he says he wants to experience the world for what it really is he really means he wants to experience the world from the default state of mind we're born with for some arbitrary reason.

The world has drugs in it. I'd argue that one would be missing out on a massive part of what the world and life has to offer if they didn't ever take drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Electric Picnic
    220 yoyos is a fierce price, no way would I pay that for a couple of days of music

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

PDN wrote:
    I'd rather be grated and rolled in salt than to go to either mass or the Electric picnic.
    Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

MooseJam wrote:
    220 yoyos is a fierce price, no way would I pay that for a couple of days of music

You are too young anyway.

Anywho, not being Catholic, I'll have to say the Electric picnic. Roll on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

If you have no interest in either then I would go to mass, switch the brain off for 30 mins, and work out how you will best spend the money you are saving.

But I would just have a lie in on the Sunday, much better option.

By the way, who pays a fiver for in the collection plate? Even back when I was a believer I found it hard to part with 1 euro, any note was out of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A 5er? I'd regularly see 20s in there! And on Christmas there'd be a few 50s!!!

Where do you live that €5 is a novel amount of money? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have work. Hear that God!!!! I am collecting st...

*gets smithed*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PDN wrote:

Ah, the classic trilemma. Bet you wouldn't really, though.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    Ah, the classic trilemma. Bet you wouldn't really, though.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Well, I might opt for the mass if I was allowed to get drunk first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Me loves drinking and music. :)

Me can't afford Electric Picnic. :(

Me can afford drinking in a house and listening to music. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

DaveMcG wrote:
    A 5er? I'd regularly see 20s in there! And on Christmas there'd be a few 50s!!!

Where do you live that €5 is a novel amount of money? :p

50 euros? That must be from people who only go to mass once a year on Christmas and average out 1 euro per week over a year and put it all in on one go.

Off topic but I do love the way the monthly envelopes for my local church (I don't know if everywhere has it) have the names of the parishoners on it. It's like saying "We will know how much money you put in this so be generous." It would work just as well anonymously but you just don't get the fear of being seen as cheap that way. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PDN wrote:
    Well, I might opt for the mass if I was allowed to get drunk first.

I'll go with you in that case. Do you heckle?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

Hey man, dont take life so seriously, maybe i am mistaken but you sound quite serious, yes the human relationship with alcohol has its downsides, but so can our relationship with food, I love the atmosphere at the EP, due to some injuries i have i might not make this one but its a great time to sink a few beers meet loads of randomers and have an excellent weekend of music, comedy and maybe even some lurrve...we'll both be dead soon enough and for long enough...
    Angels fly because they take themselves lightly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Hi,

Now, I have been roped into going to electric picnic this week.
    I like music, but for me all, this event is just a expensive type of p*ss up. I think if you took away the drink very few people would go. What does this say? Drink is just another crutch, just like religion. Both help people deal with insecurities.

Looking at it rationally, and not being young anymore, electric picnic has very little appeal to me. There are some tents there with some debates on but I reckon they'll be like the Joe Duffy phone show.

At least Mass is free, you don't have to get sloshed and you can get home pretty easily. You also get some uplifting music and some ancient literature read by an "expert" in the field. If you have a decent Priest / Minister you might even get a thought provoking ceremony.
    Electric Picnic, is 220 euro for a ticket and all things counted will cost 500. A few ego musicians (who also avoid rational critism) have their ego pumped up more and you will more than likely end up with a major hang over.

So what would you prefer?
    what age are you TR?

Off topic but I do love the way the monthly envelopes for my local church (I don't know if everywhere has it) have the names of the parishoners on it. It's like saying "We will know how much money you put in this so be generous." It would work just as well anonymously but you just don't get the fear of being seen as cheap that way. Brilliant.

It may be for tax purposes. All donations to churches that are registered as charities can be classed as tax deductible expenses. Self employed donors therefore pay less tax at year end, but for PAYE donors the charity can claim a tax rebate directly back from the Revenue Commissioners. However, for this to operate, the charity (church) must be able to state that a particular taxpayer has given how much, hence the names on envelopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

I was at ep last year and I seriously doubt Randi would be able to handle face the reality of the portaloos without some form of chemically induced mind bending. And anyway people who advocate the "I want to take reality as it, good, bad or indifferent" need to have a look at Nietzches life, 40 years of loneliness followed by ten years, gibbering, in the nut house.
    Is that what you want? Well is it?
    And he was german, german beer is some of the best in the world, mental.

Seriously Tim, its your shout, make mine a double:D

Electric Picnic
    MoominPapa wrote:
    I was at ep last year and I seriously doubt Randi would be able to handle face the reality of the portaloos without some form of chemically induced mind bending. And anyway people who advocate the "I want to take reality as it, good, bad or indifferent" need to have a look at Nietzches life, 40 years of loneliness followed by ten years, gibbering, in the nut house.
    Is that what you want? Well is it?
    And he was german, german beer is some of the best in the world, mental.

Seriously Tim, its your shout, make mine a double:D
    I'm going to go and try not to drink. I'll try and get people talking about Dawkins and then counter argue.
    I'll throw in a
    "why is there something rather than nothing?"
    and
    "but there must be a first uncaused cause?"
    then I'll point Robert Wintson is much better at sciene than anybody at expensive picnic and he believes.
    That debate and some music should make a good weekend :)

Electric Picnic
    what age are you TR?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So you are going to try and argue evolution with a bunch of drunks? Bit of an easy target, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

I'm going to go and try not to drink. I'll try and get people talking about Dawkins and then counter argue.
    I'll throw in a
    "why is there something rather than nothing?"
    and
    "but there must be a first uncaused cause?"
    then I'll point Robert Wintson is much better at sciene than anybody at expensive picnic and he believes.
    That debate and some music should make a good weekend :)

Shine on you crazy diamond

Electric Picnic
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    So you are going to try and argue evolution with a bunch of drunks? Bit of an easy target, no?
    I know some of these people, they think they know it all and all religion is stupid. They dumb it all down to religion V science and don't know much about either.

Yeah if they give out about religion being a crutch for people who are afraid to look at life for what it really is. I'm planning on pointing out it's the same with drink. But they are just paying a lot more for their "suspension of disbelief" than the religious people.

• Advertisement

Ah the classic "you are too stupid to be an atheist" argument.

http://www.videosift.com/video/Youre-too-stupid-to-be-an-atheist

Advertisement