Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8mm or 10mm rawl plugs?

Options
  • 29-08-2007 5:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

is there anywhere I could get a 8mm or 10mm rawl plug? Do they even exist? I can only see 5, 6 & 7mm down woodies.

cheers,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Auslander

Can I ask what it is you are trying to affix and to what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Brown plugs are usually drilled by an 8mm bit and red plugs by a 5mm bit.

Thats going by thorsmann plugs ,cheaper plugs can be a bit smaller.

I use 6mm X 50mm screws with the brown plugs and 4mm X 50mm screws with the red ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

I'm fixing a posts to the wall to put a trellis onto them. I'm thinking the brown plugs won't cut it. And the expanding bolts are really expensive so would prefer not to use them. I'm putting up a fair bit of trellis.

cheers,
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Would the trellis be heavy ? The green plugs are a decent size if you are doubtful about the brown ones.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Satellite installers usually use 10mm wall plugs and coach bolts to affix Sky dishes to the walls. So maybe a local TV shop might be able to sell you some of them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

http://www.mdonnelly.ie/products-page20784.html ,
    Try them lads ,if I'm ever unsure about fixings they always have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Most decent Builder merchants will stock the plugs you need, pretty sure you'll also get them in Woodies, but definitely in Brooks, Chadwicks etc.

Thorsmann is a good make, there are cheaper alternatives but for a few cent more get the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

jdpl28 wrote:
    I'm fixing a posts to the wall to put a trellis onto them. I'm thinking the brown plugs won't cut it. And the expanding bolts are really expensive so would prefer not to use them. I'm putting up a fair bit of trellis.

cheers,
    J

If you're using a 75mm x 75mm post, use M8 x 120 mm Quick Anchors. 100 x 100 mm post better to use Rawl Bolts but you'll need a M12 drill bit and bolts approx 130-150 mm long.

The Fixing Co in Clonsilla stocks a massive range of every conceivable fixing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

jdpl28 wrote:
    Hi,

is there anywhere I could get a 8mm or 10mm rawl plug? Do they even exist? I can only see 5, 6 & 7mm down woodies.

cheers,
    J
    Woodies have these but maybe they are out of stock. They are grey and come in a pack of 5...
    Actually - here...

http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=34

Advertisement