Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just plugged in my IBB Ripwave, what next?

Options
  • 29-08-2007 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

So i have plugged it in and obviously i am connected. What now, followed the very limited instructions that came with it but surely there is more i need to do. how do i secure the connection or does that happen during the setup? Not very clued in on these things as you can see.

Any help very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Isn't Ripwave a cable connected broadband box?

In which case it is not the same as securing wireless. The part between the ripwave box and the IBB base station will already be encrypted.

A user need only worry about securing the part between their broadband modem and their PC, but this is only necessary when you have a wireless modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

It is a wireless box. It just connects directly into the back of the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Not a wireless issue. Moving to broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

The ripwave modem isn't like Wifi so doesn't need securing. As someone else already pointed out, it is encrypted already. The only security you need is a firewall on your laptop i.e. something like Windows Firewall or Norton Firewall. Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

Thanks for the replies guys. I hadn't realised that the ripwave modem was different ( new to this game ) to wireless routers. So in other words I can just belt away - well in the bedroom which seems to be the only room I can get a decent signal!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

That's it...plug and play...or plug and pray in the Ripwave's case! :D You should have it as high up as possible in the building you're in and also have it by the window. The Ripwave modems are very sensitive to the way you position them too so it's trial and error. Generally, the higher the signal strength and signal quality the faster the connection although sometimes that's not the case...

Advertisement