Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test in a month!

Options
  • 29-08-2007 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Mod: I've read the sticky and I *think* its ok to post this, if not, sure do ye're job...

Just got notice I have mu driving test in a month and I haven't had one lesson (been awful busy)! I know the basics of driving but I haven't got the road practice needed, I think. :eek:

What d'ye think are the odds of passing if I have a month of lessons? Or should I just pass it off for now (which i've already done twice) and re-apply when i'm properly "ready"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Get yourself three lessons a week and a pre-test. Take the test. If you fail at least you will know what to expect.

Oh, and practice road position and reversing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Practice everyday & you can do it. Practice practising without any music & in test conditions & you have a much better chance. Can you cancel a third time?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

You can but you lose your fee, so I said feck it, might as well go for broke! I know its only €36 but sure, thats a nice meal, half a weeks rent, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Ya, its doable alright, I would'nt be forking out for 3 lessons a week mind you.. Get a friend or Biko to do the basics with you first 3 or 4 times, then get 3/4 lessons leading up to it, and maybe one mock test from instructor day before test.. Practice driving in Shantalla, Westside, Knocknacarra and Newcastle... They rarely venture away from these areas... Practice reverse parking in particular, and when doing the test move your head a lot from left to right checking your mirrors, you dont even need to look, just move your head to make it look like you're checking..

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Practice parking between the designated lines in a carpark, we don't need another person taking up two spaces due to bad parking!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Dpn't panic mate...

Driving should be a pleasure, never a task.

Or so my instructor says... even after I've almost killed him 4 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

It's doable alright, I only ever had three lessons and didn't do any pre-test lessons at all! So chill, this can be done as long as you don't panic and lose the head. Take a deep breath....

Definitely go out with friends who are good drivers (note: a friend with a modified car who boasts about making it to Dublin in under 2 hours is not necessarily a good driver) rather than wasting money on lessons. Half the driving instructors in this town are muppets. There's a couple of good places to practice the old "reverse around a corner" - always a killer - and turnabout - remember, though most people call it the "3 point turn" on the test you can take as many cuts as you like. It's not a speed test, it's a test of observation, safety and fine control. Take 5 cuts if you need them, you won't lose points.

Parkmore business park is usually fairly quiet on a Saturday, there's a good corner way up at the top beside the Marine Institute for the old reversing round a corner practice. There's another good one in an estate out the back of Westside - High Park? And plenty of empty car parks up in Parkmore too on a Sat/Sun. Practise driving into a parking space (both forward and reverse) between the two white lines, pretending there's a car in the two neighbouring spaces, that's always good for learning fine control. Learning reverse parking is great if you can find somewhere to practice it in peace and quiet. There's a knack to it and it's easy once it clicks.

Learn observation and hazard perception. Loads of people fail the test on this one. Check your mirrors all the time - yes you'll feel stupid doing it but you get used to it. Get used to checking your blind spots - looking over your shoulder especially when changing lane and going round roundabouts. Especially roundabouts. Nobody in this country knows how to navigate them properly, so it's not just for the test - you need to get used to always glancing over your shoulder to avoid getting flattened by some moron in a huge 4WD.

Stick to the left. If you keep drifting towards the white line, stop it, you'll lose a few points on the test for that. Only head towards the white line when actually preparing to turn right, otherwise hug the pavement.

Observation, observation, observation. Drive like a total paranoid gimp the day of the test. Notice when you are approaching a school and start manically checking all mirrors and behind parked cars for runaway childer. Slow right down near schools, on residential streets, and anywhere even remotely near roadworks.

I can't stress that one enough. Far more people fail the test because of the observation and hazard perception sections than fail because they stalled on a roundabout.

DON'T PANIC.

You are allowed a fair number of minor mistakes (9, IIRC) so chill. I passed mine even though I was so nervous that I bunny-hopped and stalled in the car park in Westside at the very beginning of mine. So if you make a mistake, chill, shrug it off and hope you still have a few lives left.

There's only a few things that you will automatically fail right away for, and most of them are for downright dangerous driving. If you tip the kerb when reversing round the corner or doing the turnabout however you fail immediately so practice them till you start having nightmares about them when asleep :D

Try to ignore the instructor when he is consulting the marking sheet or wiggling his pen at it. They only do it to put you off and half the time they aren't actually marking anything on it at all. Concentrate on the road. In itself this is a test to see if you can drive safely with a car full of distracting passengers or screaming kids. Don't be afraid to ask him to repeat himself if his instructions were not clear.

And if you fail, well it's not the end of the world, just re-apply straight away (cos waiting times are ludicrous). You'll know the bits you have to work on, and second time round you know what to expect. The instructor isn't actually allowed to discuss the detail of the test with you afterwards, so don't bother asking. All you have to go on is the marking sheet with marks against all your faults - but you'll usually know yourself where you messed up.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Jays, nicely said Dalfiatach, cheers! Thanks to everyone, I'm gonna go for it, go for broke!

I would like to make the point, however, that IF I do develop the skills enough to pass, that this is not the end, and I strongly believe that a lot of drivers who *pass the test* should be still practising. I know myself some people who take for granted that their skills are good enough and so end up being dodgy drivers. Especially in our current driving climate, about time more focus was put on lifelong learning, discipline and improvement in driving.

Cheers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Miskey

I've been driving 15 years but only passed my test yesterday on the third attempt. I had all sorts of problems doing the tests. But 5 lessons in a week with --- got me though. I can't recommend them enough. Good luck.

edit: I'll give you the benefit of doubt, but 1st posts promoting a company usually are spam warranting an instant ban!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Thanks Dalfiatach after reading your post, I'm going to look at my mirrors more so I'll get into the habit. I'm taking my test in Churchtown. I haven't got the letter regarding the actual date of the test but it'll probably be in January going by the waiting time of 19 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

OP - thank god Im not the only one!
    We're in the same boat!

Have a read of my thread- Don't know what to do - a few threads down for some more words of encouragement!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Chakar wrote:
    Thanks Dalfiatach after reading your post, I'm going to look at my mirrors more so I'll get into the habit. I'm taking my test in Churchtown. I haven't got the letter regarding the actual date of the test but it'll probably be in January going by the waiting time of 19 weeks.
    I passed in Churchtown today, its a tough route but you just need confidence and to belive in yourself.

All week i told myself i was going to pass, first go at 18 years old and i got it.

I bought a book called "GET IT! - The Irish Driving Test" by Brian O'Leary and it tells you exactley what the examiners want to see. Then its just a matter of doing it. Over-eggsagerate the mirror check, 2 every 10 seconds and move your head. Keep a good road position and dont drive too fast. Signal for overtakes and react early to hazards and you will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    I passed in Churchtown today, its a tough route but you just need confidence and to belive in yourself.

All week i told myself i was going to pass, first go at 18 years old and i got it.

I bought a book called "GET IT! - The Irish Driving Test" by Brian O'Leary and it tells you exactley what the examiners want to see. Then its just a matter of doing it. Over-eggsagerate the mirror check, 2 every 10 seconds and move your head. Keep a good road position and dont drive too fast. Signal for overtakes and react early to hazards and you will pass.

It will be my first time too, albeit at 20 years old. I'll get that book for sure. Probably in Easons anyway. Thanks for the book tip!

Chakar wrote:
    It will be my first time too, albeit at 20 years old. I'll get that book for sure. Probably in Easons anyway. Thanks for the book tip!
    Bought it in Easons myself. Good luck with the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dalfiatach wrote:
    though most people call it the "3 point turn" on the test you can take as many cuts as you like. It's not a speed test, it's a test of observation, safety and fine control. Take 5 cuts if you need them, you won't lose points
    It's now called the 'turnabout'.
    Dalfiatach wrote:
    Nobody in this country knows how to navigate them properly
    That's a ridiculous generalisation to make!

Dalfiatach wrote:
    You are allowed a fair number of minor mistakes (9, IIRC)
    You are permitted to make up to 8 Grade 2 faults if they are spread out over several headings.

4 Grade 2 faults on a single aspect of the test (e.g. 'turning left') or 6 Grade 2 faults within one heading (e.g. 'signalling') will result in a fail.
    Dalfiatach wrote:
    ignore the instructor when he is consulting the marking sheet or wiggling his pen at it. They only do it to put you off
    Complete and utter rubbish. The driving test examiners do not deliberately do anything that would put someone 'off' . Why would they do that? What would they have to gain?

Nor do they ask any 'trick' questions, fail you because of the type of car you are driving or the clothes you are wearing! All urban myths! ;)

PS - Good luck Proxy. :)

Exactley wishbone. My intsructor told me that i should wear my school uniform to make a good impression, and that with my "boy racer car" 1.4 Opel Astra? the examiners will be looking to fail me.

The case was the exact opposite. I wore tracksuit bottoms and an Ireland rugby jersey and i passed with 8 Grade 2 faults, surley if he WANTED to fail me he could have found 1 more.

Advertisement