Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking in a moka pot.

Options
  • 29-08-2007 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

everywhere i read about moka pots online talks about them not giving their best coffee for some time as the aluminium is too clean. Well my main moka isn't a moka at all, it is a Bialetti, but it's a venus elegance model - it's stainless steel, and i havent noticed any taste difference in the months ive had it.

Well today i bought a wee 3 cup moka express, and i noticed that there was a distinctly different taste to my coffee, does anyone know if i'll always end up with slightly different tastes from my pots or will they equalize at some stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

They suggest you make and dispose of 3 pots.

I haven't compared the stainless steel to aluminium, as I only have an aluminium one. Describe the taste difference? Is it bad? Does it have a chemical taste to it?

I imagine it could be residues of whatever cleanser was used...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Thanks Reactor, before use i'd washed it out properly and chucked out 2 pots of coffee, i just ended up with a metallic taste in my mouth, the coffee was grand but compared to my stainless steel pot it wasnt that good, The stainless steel one has had no real difference in taste since i got it, and it's also dishwasher safe.

I'm not too concerned as the wee moka is only a stop gap measure until i get off my arse and get myself an espresso machine :D i'll make a few more pots and chuck 'em out

Advertisement