Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What speed should I go over speed bumps at ?

Options
  • 29-08-2007 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Very, very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

30 Kph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Depends on the bumps. Tester likes you to change down to second

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

In a test drop to second and go no more than 20 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

make sure to let the tester see you check your rear view mirror before slowing/changing gear down (tip drummed into me by my instructor).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Some speed bumps are very severe others are very easy.. There is nothing like thinking you are heading toward one of the nice and easy ones to realise at the last minute that its one of the big monster ones that will throw you out of your seat.

What are the thoughts about stopping on a speed bump, should you wait till its clear on the other side or is it ok to stop, kinda half on a speed bump?
    Lpfsox wrote:
    make sure to let the tester see you check your rear view mirror before slowing/changing gear down (tip drummed into me by my instructor).
    You should do that if the tester is checking or not, you dont want the guy behind you to slam into you.

But saying that, if the guy behind you did slam into you, it would be his fault, could a tester mark you down for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Do you have to change down gear? I would have been inclined to go over all in the 1 gear (usually 3rd)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I was out today going over ramps mostly in 3rd and my instructor only advised me to change down to 2nd getting towards the end of the road, just brake before and obviously don't just bomb it out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

qz wrote:
    I was out today going over ramps mostly in 3rd and my instructor only advised me to change down to 2nd getting towards the end of the road, just brake before and obviously don't just bomb it out of them.

So they said it was ok to go over in 3rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I'd reckon make sure you go over in 2nd. The car needs to be able to move away decently after the ramp without labouring in too high a gear, better to be safe than sorry and throwing the examiner from his seat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

My instructor always said go over them in 2nd. I did this in my test and didn't get any faults for it (failed for something far worse lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

i'd say always in 2nd as the car will not move off as well after the ramp if you are in 3rd and this will look bad for your progression, probably giving you a grade 2 fault.

So if you do this over four bumps and get four grade 2 marks for it then its test over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

My instructor also advises me to do speed bumps in 2nd gear.

So you should do them slowly in 2nd, just to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Would I be right in thinking you should not speed up at all in between speed bumps? Eg. if you need to slow to 20 kph to go over them you should stay at that speed until you are past the last one.
    Common sense would say yes as they are designed to keep you at a suitable speed for that road, speeding up in between would defeat there purpose.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I was wondering the exact same thing - although I wonder if it's better to keep pace with the traffic (assuming you're inside the speed limit)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

tuxy wrote:
    Would I be right in thinking you should not speed up at all in between speed bumps? .

No, Opportunity to show what a fine driver you are,

Clear the ramp, check mirror, speed up - change gears. approaching next ramp, check mirrors, brake smoothly, change to appropriate gear, negotiate ramp, check mirror - speed up etc etc

Ramps are not standard, neither are cars so there is no set gear for a ramp.

Just imagine you are on the way to a party and you have a bucket of Draught Guinness in the boot.

You do not want to be late, neither do you want to spill any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

My instructor has advised me that they have started to look at progression a lot, so he said that in relation to speed bump, if you are going down into second and slowing down unnecessarily that they may do you for progression. He said basically to negotiate them quite quickly so to stay in third if possible but obviously if it's a monster ramp or it's uphill or something to go down into second.
    (I've no idea if this is true or not but it's what I've been told!)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

In my last test i got 6 grade 2's for speed bumps and 4 for observation

i was shocked, my instructor never had a problem with my speed bumps and I took them slow

i told the tester that she made a wrong call, It wrecks my head, She said I should of slowed more, but maby the next tester will do me for progress if I slow down too much

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lucozader wrote:
    In my last test i got 6 grade 2's for speed bumps and 4 for observation...

...i told the tester that she made a wrong call
    Did you appeal it?

The examinerer is not permitted to discuss the results with you but if you are not satisfied you may appeal the and be granted another test under a different examiner.

i told the tester she was wrong

and i don't feel it was sour grapes

i feel she was being ridiculous

however i didn't appeal it at the time

• Advertisement

J_R wrote:

Clear the ramp, check mirror, speed up - change gears. approaching next ramp, check mirrors, brake smoothly, change to appropriate gear, negotiate ramp, check mirror - speed up etc etc

Ramps are not standard, neither are cars so there is no set gear for a ramp.

You shouldnt race between ramps, but you should accelerate smoothly away from a speed bump.

But i agree fully, ramps are not standard, and if a car can smoothly go over them in 3rd, pull away smoothly, then what is the problem..
    lucozader wrote:
    In my last test i got 6 grade 2's for speed bumps and 4 for observation

i was shocked, my instructor never had a problem with my speed bumps and I took them slow

i told the tester that she made a wrong call, It wrecks my head, She said I should of slowed more, but maby the next tester will do me for progress if I slow down too much

You should have challanged it, I know a guy who challanged and won, he failed for driving "too slow", he won.

I would argue that unless she was bumped out of her chair, you took them at the correct speed, and challange her to prove that a) you broke the speed limit in the area and b) to prove that speed bumps are there for anything other than to keep you below the speed limit

If the council put a speed bump in place that you can negotiate at 30kph then who is an instructor to tell you that this is too fast..

For example, the road behind Donnybrook Church has speed bumps on it, they are barely noticable, and you just ease off the gas and just float over them.

But i dont think anyone should fail over speed bumps, even if the instructor flies out of the chair, Not unless each speed bump is graded and marked with a grade from 1 - 5 with 5 being steepest, and then releasing a guide how to deal with each grade.

You dont realise some of them are so steep until you hit them, even on a road the last one can be much more severe than the first 4..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You should have challanged it, I know a guy who challanged and won, he failed for driving "too slow", he won
    A driving test result cannot be challenged!

The testee has a right to appeal for a re-test (with a different examiner).

Road Traffic Act 1961

Section 33

33.—(1) In this section "the issuing authority" means the person who, in the case in question and in accordance with regulations made by the Minister, is the issuing authority for the purposes of this section.

(2) A person, other than a person to whom section 32 of this Act applies, may apply to the issuing authority for a certificate of competency in the following cases:

( a ) where he is disqualified for holding a driving licence until he produces a certificate of competency,

( b ) where under the regulations under this Act an application by him for a driving licence is required to be accompanied by a certificate of competency.

(3) Where an application is duly made under this section and the appropriate fee is paid, the issuing authority shall test or cause to be tested—

( a ) the competency of the applicant to drive the class or classes of mechanically propelled vehicle to which the application relates, and

( b ) the knowledge of the applicant of the Rules of the Road, the test, so far as it is a test of competency to drive, being carried out in such vehicles (to be provided by the applicant) as the person carrying out the test considers necessary.

(4) On completion of a test under subsection (3) of this section, the issuing authority shall either—

( a ) refuse the application, or

( b ) subject to being satisfied that the applicant has a satisfactory knowledge of the Rules of the Road, issue a certificate (in this Act referred to as a certificate of competency) certifying—

(i) in case the application is for a certificate of competency to drive any mechanically propelled vehicle whatsoever and the issuing authority is satisfied that the applicant is competent to drive any mechanically propelled vehicle whatsoever-that the applicant is competent to drive any mechanically propelled vehicle whatsoever, or

(ii) in any other case-that the applicant is competent to drive any specified class or classes of mechanically propelled vehicle, being a class or classes in respect of which a certificate of competency was applied for and which the issuing authority is satisfied that the applicant is competent to drive,

but, where the issuing authority so thinks proper, it may defer a decision under this subsection pending production by the applicant of a certificate of fitness.

(5) ( a ) A person aggrieved by the deferring of a decision under subsection (4) of this section may appeal to a Justice of the District Court having jurisdiction in the place in which such person ordinarily resides, and the Justice may either refuse the appeal or direct that the application shall be dealt with without requiring a certificate of fitness.

( b ) A decision under this subsection of a Justice of the District Court shall be final and not appealable.

(6) ( a ) A person aggrieved by a decision under subsection (4) of this section may appeal to a Justice of the District Court having jurisdiction in the place in which such person ordinarily resides, and the Justice may either refuse the appeal or, if satisfied that the test was not properly conducted, direct that the applicant shall be given a further test.

( b ) A decision under this subsection of a Justice of the District Court shall be final and not appealable.

A driving test result cannot be challenged!

The testee has a right to appeal for a re-test (with a different examiner).

I didnt mean to imply that he got the result overturned, only that he appealed the result of the test which was a fail and won his appeal by getting a re-test which he passed. (by driving exactly the same)

Not being legally minded i said "challenge" instead of "appeal". But it would strike me as strange if you can appeal something without demanding an explanation or justification.

I understand the error of my ways.

i thought the result was a disgrace and i went real smoothly over the bumps

in retrospect i should of challenged it

she was well out of order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Originally Posted by J_R

Quote:
    Quote:
    You shouldnt race between ramps, but you should accelerate smoothly away from a speed bump.

Where did I say that you should race :confused:

Assumed that when I said "show what a fine driver" it would be redundant to say speed up smoothly.

However did add brake smoothly as quite a few people believe that late braking is good driving.

If a person appeals their test,
    A stamp duty charge of 18 euro is payable by you to the District Court Office for the issue of a Notice of Appeal.
    add to this a day off work and/or a solicitor it is not worth the trouble.

Also, if you do bring them to court, believe that you will not get the pleasure of putting the tester on the stand. Then grilling him, under oath, as why he failed you and exactly what criteria he used. If they believe you have a strong case, they will settle on the courtroom steps. !

If a person is unhappy with the results, I believe the only realistic option is to write a letter of complaint to Ballina explainig exactly the circumstances of the test. If Ballina receive a few complaints about the same tester they may act. Have a supervisor sit in on a few of his tests and perhaps give him/her another training session or two.

When all driving instructors are properly qualified they will then have a strong case to put to Ballina to be allowed to sit in on the test. This should then throw a little transparency into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lucozader wrote:
    i thought the result was a disgrace and i went real smoothly over the bumps

in retrospect i should of challenged it

she was well out of order

Are you sure you weren't going too slowly? How severe were the bumps? Some bumps you're meant to drive over at 30mph without braking (plenty of those round the Tolka Valley Road in Finglas, old finglas road and Glasnevin Hill). Other speed bumps are divided and you're meant to straddle the bumps rather than hitting them in the centre and being forced to brake.

no she said i went too fast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

All the people saying drop down to 2nd gear, do you then stay in 2nd until the next ramp or accelerate, change to 3rd, slow, change down to 2nd etc for the whole length of the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 I8poop4U

Well i have one for you. Second time i did my test i failed for going down into second gear i think it was 4 or 5 grade 2 marks. Third time i failed in the same test centre (Raheny) for going over the same speed ramps too fast and did not have any other marks against me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 pbug21

Depends on the bumps. The ones in ucd are like mountains, whereas you'll get others you can go over in fourth comfortably. Not recommended for test though!

Advertisement