Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Third Round Winners and Group Draw Thread

• 29-08-2007 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I think I have all the teams listed!

Celtic
    Fenerbahce
    Arsenal
    Besiktas
    Werder Bremen
    Dynamo Kiev
    Benfica
    Valencia
    Rosenborg
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Slavia Prague
    Steaua Bucuresti
    Rangers
    Lazio
    Liverpool

Internazionale
    Milan
    Roma
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Manchester United
    Chelsea
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Olympique de Marseille
    Stuttgart
    Schalke 04
    Porto
    Sporting
    PSV Eindhoven
    Olym-piacos

The draw is at 5 pm I think.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

No easy draws there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i predict it will go as usual for the big 4

united get the easy group
    liverpool get the tricky group
    chelsea get barcelona
    arsenal get the eastern europeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

el rabitos wrote:

that must be what bias does? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd nearly bet on Liverpool drawing either Real, Barca or Valencia.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Is that in order of 1st seeds, 2nd seeds, 3rd, etc... Mike ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What way is it seeded ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

1st Seeds

AC Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Arsenal, Chelsea ,Man Utd

Obviously it means 1st seeded teams cannot meet each other in the group stage
    Id imagine Celtic and Rangers are 3rd Seeds and by my calculation theres a 62.5% chance that celtic or rangers will meet an english club :D hopefully celtic get Utd again!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pot 1                          coef.     Pot 2                          coef.
    ------------------------ --- -------     ------------------------ --- -------
    AC Milan (TH)            Ita 133.808     Valencia ***             Esp  99.374
    FC Barcelona             Esp 119.374     Olympique Lyon           Fra  95.706
    Liverpool ***            Eng 112.618     FC Porto                 Por  89.107
    Internazionale           Ita 107.808     Sevilla ***              Esp  87.374
    Arsenal ***              Eng 104.618     PSV Eindhoven            Ned  81.995
    Real Madrid              Esp 104.374     AS Roma                  Ita  78.808
    Chelsea                  Eng  99.618     Benfica ***              Por  67.107
    Manchester United        Eng  99.618     Werder Bremen ***        Ger  63.640

Pot 3                          coef.     Pot 4                          coef.
    Celtic ***               Sco  62.064     Glasgow Rangers **       Sco  47.064
    Schalke 04               Ger  60.640     Shakhtar Donetsk **      Ukr  44.726
    VfB Stuttgart            Ger  58.640     Besiktas **              Tur  43.791
    Steaua Bucuresti **      Rom  55.255     *******kos Piraeus       Gre  42.415
    CSKA Moscow              Rus  53.920     Dinamo Kiev ***          Ukr  38.726
    Sporting CP Lisbon       Por  52.107     Fenerbahçe ***           Tur  36.791
    Lazio Roma ***           Ita  51.808     Slavia Praha **          Cze  32.851
    Olympique Marseille      Fra  51.706     Rosenborg BK **          Nor  31.509

heh pats have a coefficent of 2.145 :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

Ideal for liverpool would be PSV,Marseille and Rosenborg :D

Love Utd to get Lyon,Celtic and Shakhtar Donetsk :p

• Advertisement

Them bloody 4th seeds are the worst. I'd fancy Celtic's chances at home to Madrid more than I would against someone like Besiktas. I'd love to get Madrid. Celtic have played all the others in the last few years.

btw - Spartak Moscow are 40/1 to win the UEFA cup. Not a bad each way bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

el rabitos wrote:

Just like the season before last, when United drew the eventual quarter and semi finalists?

What are the stars next to some of the names in the pots for?

What are the stars next to some of the names in the pots for?
    Celtic started in the 3rd qualifying round, Rangers started in the 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Weird how Arsenal are still a top seed despite having to qualify from playoffs two years in a row now. (i know thats not how it works but..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

Who are the Greek side that the board is filtering?

Exit wrote:
    Who are the Greek side that the board is filtering?
    Testing ... *******

Olympíakos

eh, why is that filtered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eirebhoy wrote:
    Testing ... *******

Olympíakos

eh, why is that filtered?

ah, i've figured it out. MCD venue i gather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

im betting pool get Valencia, Marseille and Rangers.
    Rafa's return, Cisse's return and a battle of britain (also as i just had to pick a team from pot 4), but i bet we'll get the first 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What way does the coef work? What timescale is it based on(i.e. last 5 years in CL)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I can't believe i'm saying this, but i would'nt actually be afraid of getting any team in this, previous years have been quite different :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Trilla wrote:
    What way does the coef work? What timescale is it based on(i.e. last 5 years in CL)?
    Yeh, 5 years.

So all the points accumalated in Europe (leaving out qualifying rounds) the previous 5 years + a third of their national league's coefficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Trilla wrote:
    Everything you need to know here:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm hopeful we get a really tough group. No really big names in the second seeds, if I had to pick the toughest group I'd pick
    Valencia
    Lazio
    Shakhtar Donetsk

It's not really ideal, but I'd like a tough group to get it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Couple of real dangerous ones in pot 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I would say Inter, Porto, Marseille and Rosenborg would be the weakest teams in each of their pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

I'm not too bothered about who United get, we're going to make everything harder than it is anyway, we always do.

Liverpool could do really well in Europe this year, they've always seemed to do better than they should in the last few years. (My oppinion, don't agree with it then fine, but you aint going to change it)

A tough group might be good for United though, the easier a group is the more we tend to underestimate the amount of effort it will take to win.

Hope we (United) get Valencia, Celtic and either Ol impiakos or Fenerbache (tough away games)

for once me and all the mancs agree, i hope ye get a tough as fu*k group as well! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I would say Inter, Porto, Marseille and Rosenborg would be the weakest teams in each of their pots.
    I'd have said Liverpool, Benfica, Steaua and Slavia Prague. Think the fact that Porto finished ahead of Benfica speaks for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As an Arsenal fan I would prefer to avoid Eastern European and Turkish teams.

Liverpool CL finalists in 2 of the last 3 years? :) Don't think so mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Doesn't change the fact that all those teams are stronger sides than them.

gandalf wrote:
    As an Arsenal fan I would prefer to avoid Eastern European and Turkish teams.
    .........and PSV and Barca Id imagine?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Over a two leg tie, assuming no injury problems, there would be practically nothing between the 4 English teams, and there is no other team they should be afraid of. Barca have the potential to be better, but we'll see.

Two English teams will make the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2008.

and one English team will win it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Don't forget there's been an English team in the final for the last three years

and one English team will win it :)
    Well ur hardly gonna have 2 winners now are ya!!

I could easily see a Milan vs Barca Final this year. With Ronalso playin Milan will have more pace goin forward than they did and with Kaka pulling the strings of that itll be tought to stop.

And Barca, well Yaya Toure was a great signing for what they need, plus Henry, Milito, the emergence of dos Santos and the further development of Messi, theyre gonna be very tough to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Inter may have won the league last year, but with Milan crippled and Juventus relegated, it wasn't hard. Historically, they have always been poor in Europe too. I watched them last year and they were far from convincing in the group stages and were easily dispatched by Valencia. I see a lot of players on the team living on past reputations (Figo, Cambiasso, Adriano) and even more players who can't seem to play consistantly (practically everyone on the team). Not only that, but they simply cannot hold a lead when faced with pressure.

I would definitely fancy my chances against them.

Inter may have won the league last year, but with Milan crippled and Juventus relegated, it wasn't hard. Historically, they have always been poor in Europe too. I watched them last year and they were far from convincing in the group stages and were easily dispatched by Valencia. I see a lot of players on the team living on past reputations (Figo, Cambiasso, Adriano) and even more players who can't seem to play consistantly (practically everyone on the team). Not only that, but they simply cannot hold a lead when faced with pressure.

They beat us 3-2 pre season!! But were destroyed by Barca last night!

I dont see Inter doin anythig. They defaulted the league the last 2 years.

yea but in fairness neil . . . .you's can't even beat Reading :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What's happening with Seville? I presume themselves and AEK are in different pots, so how can they be grouped together in the draw?

Edit: I found an article on the BBC, which said:
    Sevilla, who hold a 2-0 lead from the first leg, will be among the group of second seeds while AEK Athens are ranked among one of the bottom seeds.

Uefa general secretary David Taylor told uefa.com: "The draw will take place on Thursday at 1700 BST, as scheduled.

"There are additional complications this season related to the tragic and unforeseen circumstances that caused the postponement of the AEK Athens v Sevilla match.

"This means that both clubs will be 'provisionally' entered in this season's competition."

Maybe I'm missing something, but how will it work? Will there be a group with 5 teams until they know who goes through?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That is a good question.

/toddles off the the uefa website for a look.

Edit: There is some kind of 'Pairing' thing that is clear as mud, but only seems to affect scheduling I think
    Pairings
    Where two clubs from the same association have qualified, they are paired to split their matches between Tuesday and Wednesday. In the case of associations with three representatives, only two sides have been paired in terms of their fixtures; in the case of associations with four representatives, two pairings are made. Sevilla and AEK have been paired with two different teams to provide for the eventuality of either side winning. For seeding purposes, the team with the higher coefficient (i.e. Sevilla FC) take precedence. In order to safeguard the country protection, the pairing will not be drawn against Spanish or Greek teams. Meanwhile, PFC CSKA Moskva and Rosenborg BK will be assigned position one or three in their groups to allow them to play away on Matchday 6 in the hope of avoiding bad weather.

They are both listed as being in Pot 2 for the purposes of the draw, but I don't know if they are both second seeds though?

If AEK won, then Celtic would have been 2nd seeds and Rangers 3rd seeds.

I dont see why they couldnt postponse the draw till Tuesday.

Great bonus for AEK jumping from 4th to 2nd seeds if they do make it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You think inter are the weakest team in pot one?

Do you even watch football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Heard someone saying that they'll both be given pot 2 status though don't see how that can work.

BBC wasn't much more help, I'll try sky or wait for 5starpool to write back with offical word :)

Heard someone saying that they'll both be given pot 2 status though don't see how that can work.

BBC wasn't much more help, I'll try sky or wait for 5starpool to write back with offical word :)
    There'll be one team in Pot 2 called "Sevilla/AEK".

So whoever wins will be 2nd seeds

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm more confused than ever. All I can assume is that they are both second seeds :( I am too demoralised by the lack of clarity on Uefa's website to look anywhere else for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Inter may have won the league last year, but with Milan crippled and Juventus relegated, it wasn't hard. Historically, they have always been poor in Europe too. I watched them last year and they were far from convincing in the group stages and were easily dispatched by Valencia. I see a [/b[lot of players on the team living on past reputations (Figo, Cambiasso, Adriano)[/b] and even more players who can't seem to play consistantly (practically everyone on the team). Not only that, but they simply cannot hold a lead when faced with pressure.

Esteban Cambiasso is 27, has been playing out of his skin for the last two years had has imporved if anything since he moved to inter.

Inter have, probably, the best squad depth in the world, thier choice of defenders is sickening, thier midfeild is bigger than chelseas and thier attacker are fairly handy too.

You are talking through your hole mate, and I'm an A.C. Fan.

Seaneh wrote:
    You think inter are the weakest team in pot one?

Do you even watch football?
    Your final statement is ridiculous.

A perfectly valid opinion to think Inter are the weakest in Pot 1.

Not much between any of the teams and most will depend on how they cope with their new players and without the players who have left. Personally I'd rank Inter as the 2nd weakest.

EDIT - of course I'm talking how teams will likely do in the CL, not their own league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Cheers The Rooster thanks for clearing that up. So presuming that AEK overturn the 2 goals to go through they will be second seeds. That not very fair on celtic as they could get easier/harder group as second seeds. Suppose only time will tell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement