Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doughmore Strand OK??

Options
  • 29-08-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anybody has any advice about surfing in Doughmore Strand in Doonbeg. I'm a beginner surfer and a strong swimmer. I've heard that there is a strong rip on this beach and the signs at the beach tell me not to "bathe"! I've also chatted to some local surfers and they say its fine but a bit crazy when the swell gets up. Basically there's shag all surf anywhere else in Clare at the moment and I'm going nuts trying to get out on the board but at the same time I don't really fancy a trip to Boston..... Any advice??

Green-as-grass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

Hi Greenass,

I've surfed there only a few times, nice spot. It does seem to get more swell than Lahinch, spanish pt, etc. Parking is getting a bit mad now, golfers + residents are not happy so park as respectfully as possible. The rip is strong, I've only surfed maybe <3ft and it was bad enough then. I did get caught in it and did face a long paddle back in. Just check what other surfers are up to around you, dont go out alone, and as with anywhere be cautious, things can get bad v. quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Be very careful there if the swell picks up, unless you're a very strong sea swimmer your swimming skills probably won't help you too much if you get into trouble. There's a big difference between a pool and the ocean as I'm sure you know.

I'd say watch the waves for about 10 minutes before you get in, see where the waves are breaking and where they're not. If there are other surfers out there watch where they go. Look for rips. Once you paddle out, line up against objects on the shore to keep your position. If you do get caught in a rip paddle across to where the waves are breaking rather than against the rip.

The most important advice for anyone going out into heavier waves than they are used to is, don't panic! Stay calm and use your head.

Also make sure you don't cross the golfers, wait for them to tee off or pass before you cross.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 cjs_surf

If it's big then there will be rips, on a small day they shouldn't be that bad.

Every beach is the country will get rips on a big day, what could be safe one day could be dangerous the next.

I was pulled off shore there once and had a half hour paddle back in with 4 others no big deal, I've been in sticker situations.

Look for rips you'll see the water's surface looks different, kind of rolling/ rocking on the surface waves are breaking then fading/reforming is sure sign.

When you're out back you need to keep an eye out for a sneaky rip which will pull you out over about ten minutes, as others have said line up off land and keep checking your position.

If you're out with a few others and day light isn't short you should be fine.

If you've any other question maybe as it one of the lahich surf shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 longboardirelan

be careful on the turf reef

Advertisement