Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Van searching charlesland

Options
  • 29-08-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

A couple weeks ago i was off from work. I was walking up from superquinn through the alleyway in the morning and noticed a white van driving fast in charlesland. It was driving into each section then driving slowly around the corners and sometimes stopped for a minute. Then it would speed out of the section and up into the next one and do the same, stopping in each corner.

I thought this was very weird.

Then tonight at 9:30pm i seen something and decided to post here as a possible warning. I drove into the charlesland park section i live in and noticed the same white van in the top corner engine running and its side door open. When i got close with my car, some young lad ran out from the corner, not sure which driveway, but he jumped into the van and it sped off. There was 2 others in the van.

I didnt get the number plate. Its one of those very large white vans, the ones you see delivering carpets. But i think others should watch out for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

I'd report it to the cops if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Did the guy jumping out have a milk bottle in his hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cheers

There is a crowd that go around in a white van at times hunting out skips. If you've had a skip before and they've taken stuff from it they'll constantly return to see if you've got anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

This was most likely one of the many clothes collection ''charities''. The evening run was the young lad delivering stickers. The morning stop start run was a collection. I have often suspected that those doing these collections could be acting as reconnasaince for more sinister interests and should never be encouraged. Put your garbage in the bin and your clothes in the charity shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

This van was parked outside my neighbours house in the middle of the day last week. They were out. When I came out to my car they drove off fast. There were no leaflets being dropped. My instincts were that they were checking places out and to read this only backs it up.

A white van with carpet signage on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Just spotted it now, Monday morning at 9am - was more aware as I read this thread. White van with man and child in it - I followed them to see what I could see and get the reg - is a 00 Limerick reg.
    I rang the gardai who are coming straight up to check it out. They said it has been reported about 200 times before.
    The van stopped at one apartment in the Wood along the main road and the child grabbed something - maybe the clothing bag (?). Seems strange alright and don't like the look of it, but if so regular, they face a strong chance of getting caught if are they are doing something dodgy.
    We shoudl all just keep an eye out! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lamlit

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Did the guy jumping out have a milk bottle in his hand?

excellent!! thought exactly the same when i read post!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Miss D

Along similar lines, watch out for these clothing collections / leaflets being left in your letter box - if they're dodgy, they sometimes come back to see if the leaflet has been removed - if its still there they know the property is likely to be unnoccupied.....

If you know your neighbour is away / on holiday, remove the leaflet for them - you might be doing them a favour...

My own personal mantra is that they are all dodgy. Not registered charities or indeed charities at all. Anyone leaving stuff out for them are just saving on garbage costs and encouraging undesireables into the estate. Please stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BlueJumper

Hi there,

I remember the wording of a recent flyer we received - made me laugh. It said clothes procedes were going to Africa - then below they had listed Kenya, Ethiopia, Bosnia and Romania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I would love to know how this is a profitable business though? How can they make profit from old clothes? (If they aren't really going to Africa ect...)

They are apparently sorted here.Unwanted stuff is obviously dumped on the side of the road (as you do) and useable stuff has a container value in places like Eastern Europe. Hence there are some Ukranian people involved in it. But it is mostly run by Irish people and (according to some newspapers) centres on official halting sites around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

foxy06 wrote: »
    I would love to know how this is a profitable business though? How can they make profit from old clothes? (If they aren't really going to Africa ect...)

Its a charity.

ian_m wrote: »
    Its a charity.
    Emm! No it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I've noticed some of the bags have registered charity no.s on them but the majority have business no.s.....which is why I would question their authenticity
    Some just have mobile numbers on them!

Anyone who has seen the ropey so and sos in their white van collecting clothes in the estate this week and convinces themselves that they are giving to charity needs a reality check. As they reverse up and down the estate, if they prang your car will you get a shilling? I don't think so. If you are ''donating'' to these charities ;rather than putting your' trash in the trash; can you please stop now. If you see your neighbour doing same can you tell them same or perhaps indulge your charitable soul by buying them a greenstar rubbish sack. It really has to stop. I don't want these people hanging around our house.

Advertisement