Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reccomend a shopping trolley!

Options
  • 29-08-2007 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭

Need to put a second car on the road purely for school runs and the odd trip to the shops.

My last experience of a car in this segment was a Renault 4 20 odd years ago, so I'd appreciate anyone's first hand experience of what to go for or more importantly what to avoid.

What I have in mind, must have 5 doors, cheap to tax, run and insure so 1.4 litre max. and preferably 1.0 litre. (It's never going more than 5 miles from the house so motorway cruising ability is not an issue!)

Ability to start every winter's morning is also another big point so I'm thinking Japanese.

I'll probably pick something up at one of the auctions with a budget of around €3000 or less. So it will be a case of what's available...

I'm thinking along the lines of Micra, Fabia, Polo, Agila, Wagon R+ etc.

Opinions anyone?

invest4deepvalue.com

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

A friend of mine is selling her old '93 micra if you would be interested in something like that. I think shes looking for about €500

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

there you go:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=734326

Ugly, bland, cheap ...never goes wrong.
    (and that price should be reducable as well)

Poifect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

peasant wrote:
    there you go:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=734326

Ugly, bland, cheap ...never goes wrong.
    (and that price should be reducable as well)

Poifect :D

That price being overly optamystic is an understatement. :eek:

On topic, I would recommend a 5 dr Fiesta 1.25 litre. Cheap as chips to service and repair if needed, and plenty to choose from. A late 1990s or 2000 Ghia model will probably come with air conditioning too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Suzuki Vivio!!! Nippy little car and only 650cc!! Can be gotten in 3 or 5 door!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

bazz26 wrote:

On topic, I would recommend a 5 dr Fiesta 1.25 litre. Cheap as chips to service and repair if needed, and plenty to choose from. A late 1990s or 2000 Ghia model will probably come with air conditioning too.

Seconded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If the driver likes driving and appreciates a well handling car, get a Fiesta. Otherwise get a Micra which is slightly cheaper to run and a little bit more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Just thought of 2 other ones - maybe a bid oddball, but should both be cheap and reliable.

Mitsubishi Spacestar

or

Mazda Demio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Melion - Thanks but no!

Peasant - Looks more like a €800 motor to me!!

Jonny24ie - I think Suzuki spares are very expensive so maybe not...

gyppo - Sister has a spacestar in the UK and is very happy with it so if one comes along it's a possibility. Had a Mazda once and spares were very pricey also...

The rest! lookin' like a Fiesta 1.25 so, anyone know of any "issues" to look out for?

A look at Merlin Auctions Snapshot suggests that a 00 Fiesta 1.25 Ghia is a defenite prospect at around €2500 maybe even a ´01 on a slow day.

Anyone got any comments on a Fabia 1.2?

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement