Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Platini rant

• 29-08-2007 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

No doubt some will agree with this lunatic but as a follower of a club recently taken over I have to say he's talking thru his arse.
    Michael Platini has launched a surprising attack on the foreign ownership of English football clubs.

Platini, the president of Uefa, has revealed his dislike for the increasing foreign investment in the Premier League.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa are among a number of top flight clubs who have been taken over by owners from abroad and Platini insists that something must be done.

"I can't understand how so many English clubs are owned by foreign people," Platini told Sky Sports News.

Identity

"I think we can do something. I don't know why Americans come to buy some clubs. You need your identity.

"I can't understand why some English clubs are owned by Americans because they do not come for the beauty of the game, for the romance of the football in England.

"They come because they want to make money. We need to defend that.

"If you have Manchester against Liverpool it is part of the population of the cities.

"But now if you have an owner from America against an owner from Russia, I don't like it."
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2693799,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

These rants are great. He has a big problem with American businessmen buying English clubs but a ganster like Berlusconi is ok because he is an Italian at an Italian club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Totally ridiculous altogether. And as for
    They come because they want to make money. We need to defend that.
    So Mike Ashley has no interest in making money? Or Dave Whelan at Wigan?
    What a ponce.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

His main point is he wants people in charge of clubs for the love of the club, and not the money. A bit ironic coming from UEFA tbh.

eirebhoy wrote:
    His main point is he wants people in charge of clubs for the love of the club, and not the money. A bit ironic coming from UEFA tbh.
    WTF has it to do with him? Has he personally visited these poor exploited clubs to see what its like at ground zero? I doubt it. Truth is, Villa fans could not be happier. I'd say City fans must be fairly happy too and dont hear too many complaints from the Liverpool fans for them splashing the cash for players like Torres.

The new Villa owners are staying true to the heritage of the club in everything they do while still trying to drag it into the 21st century, yet on the pitch its very much a british team with quite a few English U21 players in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Savman wrote:
    No doubt some will agree with this lunatic but as a follower of a club recently taken over I have to say he's talking thru his arse.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2693799,00.html

That's 'through' his arse.

• Advertisement

That's 'through' his arse.
    Is that the full extent of your contribution? Wow. Deep stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i dont really pay attention to anything that UEFA or FIFA does you can categorize most who are in the top levels there as either crooks or idiots or both.

and this is just a case of Platini wishing to be seen doing something to placate those smaller nations who backed him in the elections. of course we all know nothing will ever change under his reign. except the odd bizarre rule change here or there which they seem to like to come up with now and again.

Advertisement