Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

uk motorways

Options
  • 29-08-2007 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

just back from a trip to England lots of motorway driving, what a great experience being in the company of people who know how to use motorways. Why oh why do irish motorways not work (dual carriageways) .
    I used the m1 yesterday and cruised by about 10 cars. I WAS NOT IN THE OVERTAKING LANE.
    Why can't we get it together. The English drivers are always one step ahead. If they are in the middle and you indicate they move over you over take move back in then they do too. its just so smooth effortless. God help us when we get 3 lanes on the m50 !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know, I know! Funnily enough, the Scots are just like us.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

When we get three lanes it should really be fun :D
    yep the folks in GB know how to use M-ways, strangely enough most Irish drivers I came across in GB stuck to the left lane, unless overtaking. Perhaps its because they know the police are less tolerent of lane hoggers in England...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

well I think the reason too is in the U.K. lane hogging isn't tolerated, if you do it you will be blown off the road. i have no idea why it's so tolerated here.

I honestly think the overtaking lane should have mandatory indicating on it. If your in the overtaking lane you should have your indicator on. Maybe at least would wake a few people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Over here in Belgium you'll be run off the road if you don't move out the overtaking lane. I think driving on the motorways in Ireland requires lots of patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

stratos wrote:
    I honestly think the overtaking lane should have mandatory indicating on it. If your in the overtaking lane you should have your indicator on. Maybe at least would wake a few people up.

I'm not sure if it's law in France, but it's certainly the etiquette on autoroutes to keep your indicator on if you intend to overtake more than one vehicle, and they ALL do it, from the driver of the humble Twingo to those driving powerful sports cars etc. ................and when they're finished overtaking, it's straight back in to the inside lane (bearing in mind most French autoroutes are only 2-lane) as they all seem to know better than to sit in the outside lane a moment longer than is necessary.

Then again their country is spotless, their roads are a dream to drive on, their signage is second to none - let's face it, it's a cultural thing and some countries have it, and some like ourselves just don't !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It all comes down to driver education!

Hotwheels wrote:
    When we get three lanes it should really be fun :D
    yep the folks in GB know how to use M-ways, strangely enough most Irish drivers I came across in GB stuck to the left lane, unless overtaking. Perhaps its because they know the police are less tolerent of lane hoggers in England...:cool:

Yes, I've heard of drivers in the UK being pulled by the police for sitting in the middle lane when the nearside lane was empty etc. - can you imagine the number of charges they could issue here if our uneducated force were to implement something similar for both 2 and 3-lane m-ways ?? Travelling on the N7 between Nass and Newlands X is a joke - inside lane is frequently empty and you end up undertaking cars and trucks who just sit ignorantly in the middle lane (I know the gantries and signage don't help, but lots of the vehicles travel that road every day and thus KNOW that the inside lane is not about to disappear off at any junction prior to junc. 9 (Naas) when the M-way kicks in)

It's like the nearside lane was added for absolutely no reason despite the high cost, heavy workload, and severe upheaval involved in making it happen !!

U.K. motorways are just such a joy to use in ireland on the M1 you have to undertake maybe 3 or 4 dozzy idiots in a 15 mile motorway. In the u.k. I can travel 300 miles and undertake noone !

sorry my last post on this my personal rant.

One morning early i was on the new N2 I was in the slow lane no traffic on motorway, I was alone. In the distance 2 vehicles were in the slow lane ahead of me. As i approached them the lead vehicle indicated right and moved into the overtaking lane, bear in mind the motorway is empty. as I approached the rear vehicle and about to indicate to overtake him, he indicates and moves into the overtaking lane as well.

i undertook both of them, when I passed they both moved back into the left lane ???????????????????????????????????

How do you explain this behaviour ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

stratos wrote:

One morning early i was on the new N2 I was in the slow lane no traffic on motorway, I was alone. In the distance 2 vehicles were in the slow lane ahead of me. As i approached them the lead vehicle indicated right and moved into the overtaking lane, bear in mind the motorway is empty. as I approached the rear vehicle and about to indicate to overtake him, he indicates and moves into the overtaking lane as well.

i undertook both of them, when I passed they both moved back into the left lane ???????????????????????????????????

its the signs, the white ones, they appear to indicate that the left lane is for getting off at a certain destination, as if the left lane is about to peel off to a junction or something, there could be a white sign over the left lane saying blanchardstown and a blue one over the right lane saying m50, can see how people get confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

kbannon wrote:
    It all comes down to driver education!

I seriously doubt it, there's nothing in the UK that tells people to get the hell out of the overtaking lane.. it just comes with experience when white-van men drive 2inchs away from your bumper (if you drive in Essex every third vehicle is a white-van!). Plus the fact that the average UK and European cars have bigger engines (tax/vrt/insurance all factors) means everyone floors it around :)
    For instance I regularly hit over 85-90mph every morning on the way to work (UK dual carriage-way) and this is on the inside lane, with the typical mondeo/a4/passat diesel long-haulers thundering by over the ton. I've hit 115 on the M6 toll (4 in the morning mind you on probably the emptiest and finest stretch of motorway in the UK) with the odd car still flying by.. it's surreal.
    Speeding on motorways and dual-carriageways is commonplace over there and for several reasons: the major roads are maintained to an extremely high standard, speed cameras are typically located ONLY in 30/40mph zones, MOT is yearly so cars (while older) are kept quite well and the traffic cops won't bother you unless you're doing 85+ and/or look like a hazard on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

draffodx wrote:
    its the signs, the white ones, they appear to indicate that the left lane is for getting off at a certain destination, as if the left lane is about to peel off to a junction or something, there could be a white sign over the left lane saying blanchardstown and a blue one over the right lane saying m50, can see how people get confused

Its not the signs. We have the same thing in Australia and no-one gets confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

draffodx wrote:

I agree - I notice alot of drivers drive based on what the signs say and signage here is totally arsed up.
    As draffodx says - if you were to follow them verbatim you would be in the right lane for going past the next exit and left only for getting off - its feckin stupid.

Blenchardstown M50
    | | | |
    | | | | :D
    \ / \ /

So some drivers think "I am going straight on, I should stay right", thats why so many cars join the M50 go straight to the outside lane and only leave on the approach to their junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

To be honest, the roads in the UK can be frustrating sometimes, but I think that might be because they are normally very good.

It is generally the case that cruising at 85mph on the motorway is OK. Most people will do this and I have passed several police cars doing that kind of speed with no issue.

As others have mentioned, drivers tend to be very good at moving to the left and things really do move a lot better. With the exception of when traffic is really heavy it is possible to make excellent progress more or less at you own pace. Driver over here realise that speed enforcement is for the police...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not surprised really. Remember this is the same country where you can do your driving test, fail it and still legally drive home.

Maybe motorway/dual carriageway testing should be added to the standard driving test? The driving test seems to be quite slow moving with the times since better quality roads such as motorways, etc are becoming more common now in post Celtic Tiger Ireland.

Of course not a total solution however as there are still thousands of people out there on full licences who simply don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd say it's mainly because motorways have been around in the UK for so much longer than over here. Like many British people, I grew up being ferried around the UK motorway network by my Dad and learnt how to drive on them from watching him. He probably did the same from his Dad - it just seems that most people started driving on them correctly from the day they were opened.

Think we'll have a good few problems in coming years here unless enforcement is put in place as youngsters start learning from their parents to sit in the overtaking lane on all the Motorways :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

stratos wrote:

No idea.

Undertaking isn't allowed either btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

No idea.

Undertaking isn't allowed either btw.

get off your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I moved to the UK about 7 yrs ago as a young driver with a few years experience on irish roads. Had a 1.5 civic at the time and thought I could enjoy the outside lane of the M4 at 75-80mph each morning on the commute to work.

After a few experiences of larger, faster cars flashing me to get out the way of their 85mph+ speeds, I learned very quickly that the outside lane is only for overtaking and the faster motors in society over there.

Needless to say, I ended up buying a few tdi Passats and a 3.2 Honda Legend in the subsequent years so I could earn my place in the outside lane.

Now I'm home and miss that respected lane.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

R.O.R wrote:
    I'd say it's mainly because motorways have been around in the UK for so much longer than over here. Like many British people, I grew up being ferried around the UK motorway network by my Dad and learnt how to drive on them from watching him. He probably did the same from his Dad - it just seems that most people started driving on them correctly from the day they were opened.
    Did anyone see the series of programs on BBC4 called "The Secret Life of the Motorway"? The first section of the M1 opened IIRC in 1959, and that very same year they already had leaflets explaining how to drive on them, a special supplement to the Highway Code called "Motorway Driving" or something like that, and TV ads explaining lane discipline!! That was nearly 50 years ago!

I wouldn't say motorway lane discipline in the UK was perfect by any means, but it's certainly a damn sight better than here, and you'll rarely find the dawdlers crawling along at 80km/h that you regularly come across here. Like others have said, 80-85mph is quite normal over there, and as long as you're driving carefully, your chances of being pulled over a pretty low.

Regarding motorway driving in Ireland, there's lots of driver-types being profiled here - David Attenboough would have a field dat putting names on them and describing their behaviour !

Anyone recognise this one ??

They sit in the overtaking lane although the road ahead is clear and the left-hand lane is empty

You approach from behind, but there's no movement

A quick flash of lights to wake them up, and they immediately pull into the l/h lane, no problem, no dirty looks, no fingers, no rage, etc.

As soon as you overtake them and move to the l/h lane, they're already back out in the overtaking lane having resumed their original position !!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

quarryman wrote:
    get off your high horse.

Not a chance. I don't undertake. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Not a chance. I don't undertake. Ever.

So, if you are on the inside lane on the M50 which starts moving and the outside is stopped - you'll sit where you are until the outside lane starts moving? Same difference in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One thing that's scary about UK motorways though is how closely packed everybody zooms around on them ...safe distance ..whazzat?

Also on some motorways the lanes are very narrow, they barely accomodate a truck ...gets a bit scary when you find yourself in the middle lane wedged between two trucks ...either of them sneezes and you're history :D

R.O.R wrote:
    So, if you are on the inside lane on the M50 which starts moving and the outside is stopped - you'll sit where you are until the outside lane starts moving? Same difference in my opinion.

No. I think you need to check the definition of undertaking, and perhaps alter your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

R.O.R wrote:

Edit: beaten to it by Henry Ford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Aye, shouldn't undertake either lads, if someones infront of you and their in the overtaking lane, you should treat it as being behind them with no room to overtake.

Undertaking is dangerous too and you should not do it.

AFAIK, only time you can undertake is when turning onto a slip road a short distance ahead, or when traffic in the overtake lane is completely stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Kali wrote:
    I've hit 115 on the M6 toll (4 in the morning mind you on probably the emptiest and finest stretch of motorway in the UK) with the odd car still flying by.. it's surreal.
    That's an eerily quiet motorway. It's like that film 28 Days Later sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

stratos wrote:

Maybe ZIG and ZAG were driving!!!:D

Advertisement