Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do other cats do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We have three ...only one of them knows how to open the door, the others just wait until she does :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

My kitten tries to open the door by using the handle but doesn't have to jump as he/she has a chair nearby and can reach from it. It's highly amusing to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

taht is class. our dog knows how to open the door, but he couldnt be arsed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Clever cat!
    My two haven't figured out doors yet - thankfully! They make enough trouble as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

One of my cats can open the door, and if you clap your hands high in the air, he will jump up into your arms... the rest are a bit lazy, although one of them has figured out how to open the windows, he headbutts and uses his nose and mouth to push the handle into the open position, then pushes against the window until it opens. Cats are so clever, they watch everything you do, and will imitate as best as they can.... although my newest kitten is copying our puppy at the moment and is trotting around the house with knickers, socks, facecloths etc in his mouth, whatever the dog can do I can do better seems to be his motto!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Two of my cats can open the door, i usually lock them into the kitchen at night so they won't wake me at 4am or 5am. However now they open the kitchen door, run up the stairs and start meowing outside my bedroom door. If i ignore them they will make as much noise as possible to get me up! rattling bags, pretend to fight with each other, or the best one paddy my ginger cat will knock at the door with his paw. It sounds freaky. :)

I must key the kitchen door to see if they can use a key :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We had a cat that used to do this, and we always used to warn guests staying the night not to close their bedroom door at night or else they'd be rudely awoken at some ungodly hour of the morning by dear little Tabatha trying to get in. I don't think she ever really wanted to get in the room(s) .. she just had something against closed doors.

We have a cat at the moment who is the same, i.e. she just hates closed doors, but instead of jumping on the door handle she just sits outside the door and cries. If you then open the door she just pops her head in, inspects it and then walks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hehe, all our doors have knobs instead of handles so that sorts that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I have one that can open doors - and one that can't - but he will nudge the door shut and cry to get attention when he's bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Yea my cat does that too! He opened the door to my study this morning at some ungodly hour as he knew one of his toys was in there and he wanted a play!!!! Surprised me how quick he got the door open, only took him a few jumps and I know he is going to get better with more practice :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Thats so funny and so cute. My animals, cat and dog just sit by the door and whinge until someone opens it.

Advertisement